shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this inclusion a deal breaker

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Shopping on holiday is such a bad idea. I'm a different time zone and totally up at weird hours so I get into trouble.

Can I get your thoughts on this unheated tanzanite? I love the color and the shape. I have zero knowledge of tanzanites, never seen one this shade. The cutter is asking $275. But is the fairly deep but no surface reaching inclusion an issue? I debating how much it will bug me. On the other hand no one will ask of it is real.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-073749_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-073749_Instagram.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20191203_075806_672.jpg
    IMG_20191203_075806_672.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20191203_075808_571.jpg
    IMG_20191203_075808_571.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 50

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be for me personally.

It's a very obvious inclusion that goes against the cut of the stone. To me it looks like an internal crack. I like to set my gems so this just wouldn't be worth the cost of gold and diamonds to set it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
For the color, size and inclusion this would be a no for me also.
But colored stones are very personal and if you find yourself drawn to something and just cant explain why despite its imperfections or are in love with it then buy it! It will be yours at the end of the day.

But you asked for others opinions and to be honest I dont favor it much.
Id probably only purchase it if it was a steal and more like $50 but I'm super thrifty anyways. Im not saying that its worth that amount, but that personally I would only purchase it closer to that amount.

Good luck and have fun CS hunting! Late night online purchasing and browsing is the best!
:appl:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some inclusions add character, but this one would probably drive me crazy, but it's really up to you. Maybe it will look different in person, in the lighting you have. Or maybe you like the uniqueness.

Will he let you return it?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I think it looks kinda cool too - but I also know it is a stone just waiting to break in half - so I agree with other posters that I would pass on this purchase.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heating tanzanite makes no difference to the price, in fact it makes them look prettier, so get a heated Tanzanite with no inclusions. They’re fairly common, so there’s no reason why you should have to accept such an obvious inclusion. It’s not like they’re emeralds which are rare as eye clean gems.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
The color is beautiful to me, but like TL said, you can get a clean Tanzanite quite easily. Since you said you don't know much about Tanzanite, I wanted to make sure you are aware that it's pretty soft (even ones without such a large inclusion) and most around here do not recommend it for rings you wear often. Just fyi.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like this color, it’s fairy common in untreated tourmaline, which is harder. All of a sudden, there’s so much unheated tanzanite on the market. I don’t know why, but the color is not as desirable as the treated deep violet blues which tanzanite is known for. This one has a ginormous obvious horribly placed inclusion on top of it, they should be giving it away!!!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like you, I love the color and shape of this stone. I definitely see the appeal, but for me, the inclusion would be a deal breaker. Visually, it makes it look like the stone broke in half and was glued back together. Maybe it's less noticeable in person, but I think you're better off passing on it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful and intriguing gem but Tanzanite is brittle. It can quite easily chip, even when setting so I’d be hesitant to set that as a ring seeing as a solid “bump” could cause it to shear.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all! Sorry for the delayed response, I have been on trains with no (gasp) wifi.

Yeah it would no doubt drive me nuts. I'll pass for now. I actually have been looking at tourmaline but so many seem to black out, that is the norm for greenish blue tourmaline correct? Tanzanite seemed to be a tad safer option but trading brittle for black isn't worth it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all green tourmaline blacks out. I would keep looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results