shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this buyer telling me the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to send you some good pictures.

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
Here''s another. This is the best I''ve been able to do.

ring in dish.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, personally I think the shape is very nice.
1.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2009 1:49:16 PM
Author: 3personedgod
Thanks Neatfreak & David. Yes, I am afraid to send it to someone I have never met. All the promises one gives on their website is really no guarantee.

I am taking it to another diamond buyer in my town tomorrow. They are gold & diamond buyers who come by and set up at the motel. I want someone to look at it. That is important to me because the stone is actually very nice.

I DO need the money soon, but I, of course, also want to get the most I can for it. This doesn''t feel good. The ring was appraised at 8,000.

Is the length to width ratio really that crucial--if it doesn''t negatively affect the look/light, etc?

If you don''t like this offer you are going to HATE HATE HATE the offer you get from one of those hotel buyer (long string of expletives deleted) are going to offer.

Wink who has never seen a good offer by one of those. Hope to see the exception somedays...

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
Wink! The motel guy told me he''d give me $700 for it. He said he''d then sell it for $1000. Mostly, he wanted me to buy a diamond or two from him.

This stuff is crazy ;-)

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sticking up for my diamond, TYTY333! I needed to hear something like that. I didn''t get a pic straight on, but I, too, think it''s a pretty shape. Of course, I love pear and marquise.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lizzie- your diamond looks lovely!!
I agree with Wink- people setting up shop to "buy jewelry"- regardless of if they are in a hotel, pawn shop, or jewelry store- if they are aggressively seeking to buy from the public, there''s ONLY one reason-to buy anythign desirable that comes their way at a fraction of the market value.

Every day when I walk down 47th Street 50 hawkers are screaming "YOU BUYING? YOU SELLING?"
If you''re buying they''ve got a lovely dollar bill you can "steal" for $10.
If you''re selling they''ll give you .10cents for that positvely UGLY dollar bill you''ve got....

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Typically you can pick your item up anytime you want from a consigment shop- though I''m speaking of antiques consignment rather than jewelry consigment, since that''s my experience with consignment. It is more likely they''ll have a time limit on how LONG you can leave something, rather than the other way around. (About five years ago, I owned an antiques consigment shop briefly, and I still have *boxes and boxes* of stuff people stranded with me and never picked up, and a five enormous armoires.)

If you have heard people say they have a good reputation, that''s a good sign. 25% is pretty good actually- for antiques it''s usually 35% on up. The estimate that it would sell that quickly is a little weird, IMHO, though. And, as everyone''s said, that price seems *extremely* optimistic, unfortunately. However, if they seem trustworthy, and you''ve heard good word-of-mouth, I doubt there''s any reason not to try it... I''d probably ask them to try it at a lower price though, if it were mine.

Alternatively, if you and the shop both feel strongly that you want to try for $6500 or whatever, you could try it at that price for a while, then lower it if it doesn''t sell. Unfortunately, an appraisal isn''t a statement that *you* can sell something for the appraised value- it''s typically for insurance, stating that''s what it would probably cost for you to repurchase a similar item at retail price. And diamonds can be hard for a non-professional to sell for anything approaching the original price paid.

Good luck! It does look like a pretty stone.

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
LittleGreyKitten,
I was thinking I should go lower, too. I''ll ask the guy lots of questions. I want examples of what they''ve sold, how long it takes, etc. After getting everyone''s feedback in here, I am concerned about his optimism.
thanks,

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
Thank you, David. Yeah, I thought this guy was going to lay hands on me before I could get out the door. He got worked up in a flash! He forced me to take his card, asked my name, etc. His eyes were bulging. It''s kind of funny, now.
emteeth.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lizzie, face it - you''ve got what they want girl!!
31.gif

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
David,
Hehehe, You nut! Yes, I guess that was the case today. Isn''t it interesting what $$ can do to some people? He wanted me to sell jewelry for him--but more, he wanted me to BUY from him. Yucky guy, really. Oh, and he had LOTS of gold and diamonds on his body. Big, blinky stuff. Several bracelets (do they call them ''bracelets'' when guys wear them?), rings on most fingers and heavy neck chains. He bragged to me about all the money he''s made in his business, all the diamonds he''s traded and the gold. I was glad to get away.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 8:06:05 PM
Author: 3personedgod
David,
Hehehe, You nut! Yes, I guess that was the case today. Isn''t it interesting what $$ can do to some people? He wanted me to sell jewelry for him--but more, he wanted me to BUY from him. Yucky guy, really. Oh, and he had LOTS of gold and diamonds on his body. Big, blinky stuff. Several bracelets (do they call them ''bracelets'' when guys wear them?), rings on most fingers and heavy neck chains. He bragged to me about all the money he''s made in his business, all the diamonds he''s traded and the gold. I was glad to get away.
HI:

How can he make any money when he wears all his profits? KIDDING!
2.gif
9.gif

Have you checked out this consignment company with the BBB, etc?

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks really pretty to me. I''m not a marquise fan either, so high praise.
2.gif

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
Well, Sharon, while I was there, I was thinking that maybe he was so successful that he could afford tons of gold and diamonds. Yes, I think that is so. He''s good at taking advantage of folks. That''s his occupation. There were several older couples there selling their gold coins. I could see the desperation on their faces. It was sad. I''m currently living in a depressed area. I saw women who had the look of too much hard work on their faces and hands (red and work-worn and lined with wrinkles), men who wore coats that were faded and threadbare. I saw one older woman with tears on her face, and I immediately looked away. Gold prices are up, but these poor people are so desperate. Guys like this buyer (I don''t even know his name and won''t look at his card) make a living from their difficulties. It''s the way of the world and our present economy gives them this opportunity. But I hate it. Scavengers. They thrive on others'' misfortune. Nothing new in this, I guess. But it broke my heart today.

3personedgod

Rough_Rock
Much thanks, Gypsy! I love the thing. Aren''t diamonds the best?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the shape of your marquise is lovely! Good luck with your sale.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results