shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this asscher a dud?

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully the link to the video works! I've never seen any other asscher diamond before, only rounds. I know they sparkle differently, but I've seen discussions here about good/bad asscher cutting and I'm not sure which I have. I'm still just barely within the return period, so I'd like to make a decision to keep or no. The video shows it indoors, outdoors in shade and outdoors in sun.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell but it looks lazy.

@Karl_K

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My asscher is on IG yatcube

IG cuts videos weird so it’s not always centered, but you will get the idea of performance

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
@whitewave it's hard finding real people/view videos so thanks for that, but yours looks like it has the same sparkle as mine to me. PS your dogs are just the cutest and now I am off to buy a stroller for mine.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave it's hard finding real people/view videos so thanks for that, but yours looks like it has the same sparkle as mine to me. PS your dogs are just the cutest and now I am off to buy a stroller for mine.

Lol. I have two strollers... one at each house. They LOVE their strollers.

Ok so it sounds like yours is good. It looks very crisp and clear. Edited, I feel like I saw what Karl is saying, but you are the one who is seeing it in person.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I tried at a new video to see if I could capture it in better lighting to show more what I see in real life. How about now? I'm not hoping for 'holy grail perfect cutting PS standards' just, hey you didn't waste your money.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps put the stone on paper with writing/ print on it. Sometimes with these step cuts, there may be leakage/ windows- areas that are see thru from table to the print. If so/ it is a problem for me... I woudl return it... or the setting woudl need to have a cup to minimise this leakage of light... which also means it could be harder to clean.

some of the pavilions reflection seems. On reflective either... some dance/ reflect light on and off... and some do not. But that could be from the way that it is being filmed...I am trying to show in the screenshots, but it could be the way that it is being filmed.

The head on shot- on the back of your hand shows it the best.

9305264E-D4FD-45C6-9014-B9760AB6AAA5.jpeg 141621E4-1368-4BD6-A48B-6E1CA02C43D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want to see it in several different types of lighting before I conclude that it’s a dud, but when in doubt don’t buy it.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps put the stone on paper with writing/ print on it. Sometimes with these step cuts, there may be leakage/ windows- areas that are see thru from table to the print.

Just did that, WOW that explains so much of what I'm seeing! Where I can see the print through the stone, is where I don't see sparkle or white light. THANK YOU!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could also place your asscher in front of a sheet of colored paper. IIRC there is a video in one of the asscher threads where the asscher is filmed in front of a red background and you can see the areas of leakage.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the table size on that stone? It looks like it might have a large table and little crown, but I am not sure since I didn't see a profile view.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Just did that, WOW that explains so much of what I'm seeing! Where I can see the print through the stone, is where I don't see sparkle or white light. THANK YOU!

No problems... hope that helps you make a decision on the stone.

As for me - that would be a deal breaker when choosing a stone. For some it would not. It is just different.

my asscher was chosen for me and I trusted my jewelers eyes... it was set and shipped to me. Knowing what I know now (thanx PS) I would have asked for the stone to be shipped to me to review with my own eyes.

I think mine has some minor leakage issues... hard to assess correctly with a set stone... but sometimes when the stone is dirty and the light hits it- I sense a dull spot- just in one small area... most wont see it- but when you know more about the performance of a stone- you just know. would I change it- no... cos I like it as is. It is also a reminder that I am not perfect. And I have made bands to fit.
Maybe one day, I will upgrade the stone but that also means changing the bands that were made to fit around it. Where is that money tree!?!!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
going to try that @princessandthepear thanks!

@gregchang35 "It is also a reminder that I am not perfect." I like that a lot. I've had many rounds so I know what to expect from them for sparkle. I wasn't expecting the same rainbows and white from an asscher, I bought it for the faceting pattern, but I can buy any gemstone in an asscher so of course I'm expecting some rainbows here too. I'd be setting it in an open backed/bottom semi-bezel yellow gold. Thank you again for your help!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
So you are going to keep the stone- thought you had a little time left for the return?

with regards to your setting choice: open bottom setting- remember that there is leakage with this stone... what this will mean is that your skin colour will be visible in those leakage areas. So when you tested with the paper and you saw print- that is where you are going to see your skin colour.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
63 table is fine. It was hard to tell in the video.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I have to be careful here. I have a CBI and no matter what I do, I really struggle to take photos or videos of the light performance. I know it has amazing light performance but if I post my pictures, they're pretty good but not as good as some of the epic pictures I see on here. But because it's a CBI I know it has the same epic performance as the epic pictures.

Having said that, I read your post but I know nothing about asschers so I can't really comment. However, the very next post I clicked on was this:

I mean, maybe it's because @Jimmianne has epic photography skills (clearly!) But that asscher jumps off the page with its light performance. Maybe @Jimmianne has a video to share?

I'm not saying yours isn't beautiful, because we haven't seen it in person, and it may be perfect enough for you to keep - but I just wanted to share because if you're still in the return period, the more information the better! =)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I have to be careful here. I have a CBI and no matter what I do, I really struggle to take photos or videos of the light performance. I know it has amazing light performance but if I post my pictures, they're pretty good but not as good as some of the epic pictures I see on here. But because it's a CBI I know it has the same epic performance as the epic pictures.

Having said that, I read your post but I know nothing about asschers so I can't really comment. However, the very next post I clicked on was this:

I mean, maybe it's because @Jimmianne has epic photography skills (clearly!) But that asscher jumps off the page with its light performance. Maybe @Jimmianne has a video to share?

I'm not saying yours isn't beautiful, because we haven't seen it in person, and it may be perfect enough for you to keep - but I just wanted to share because if you're still in the return period, the more information the better! =)

Hi. Lykame, thanks for the compliment : )
The photos were taken outdoors, indirect sunlight.
Actually there is a video ...

Good to keep in mind that both the photo and the video had carefully chosen light to show the stone at its very best.

Mooshi, in your video I see some of the same qualities. What are your thoughts on it today?

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone, it was hard but I did send it back today. I still think I'm not great at photos and videos, but after trying to just enjoy it without PS in mind over the weekend I found I just didn't love it. Why spend the money if it's not something you love all the time right?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone, it was hard but I did send it back today. I still think I'm not great at photos and videos, but after trying to just enjoy it without PS in mind over the weekend I found I just didn't love it. Why spend the money if it's not something you love all the time right?

Aww I know this will sound strange, but I'm super proud of you! I know it must be a really hard decision to send something back when you really want to love it... But well done for realising you don't.

Maybe you could start a new thread seeking help to find a replacement you so love?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

Sadly, when you know more, you know more. Enjoying a stone without a PS mind, is going to be hard..... Well, for me anyway. Unless i can reason with myself what it is that i love about that stone and why it deserves to be with me instead of sending it back.

Take your time to recoup.. and as @Lykame says, perhaps start a new thread with your specs to see who can help you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know how hard it is to send back a diamond, so I’m sorry. But when you find an amazing stone you will be glad you did...the best is yet to come!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I have two new contenders! I am fine with the color, I'm mostly concerned about sparkle performance, if there is any light leakage going on with these, and also how visable the inclusion on the second one would actually be in real life.

asscher 1

asscher 2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two new contenders! I am fine with the color, I'm mostly concerned about sparkle performance, if there is any light leakage going on with these, and also how visable the inclusion on the second one would actually be in real life.

asscher 1

asscher 2

I'm not personally keen on the inclusion on number 2, but I am a clarity freak :tongue: and it's not visible from all angles in the video.

Number 1 looks like it might have vintage-esque proportions :) but it's hard to identify any leakage on a grey background...

Could they provide ASETscope images?

Or take photos with a brightly coloured bit of card behind the stone, to see if any shows through?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i do like the look of number 1 and like @OoohShiny says, it is hard to tell about leakage on a grey background. definitely worth getting more imaging.

Number 2 has an inclusion on the breaks (side facet/ steps of the central table) which is then reflected on the table. to me that is not one that i would like. i am unsure of how big these stones are. But, for me, it would not be mind clean enough for me, unless it is markedly reduced to less than 1/2 the number 1. Yes, that is how much i dislike it. :) you will have to call those stones in to see for your self or trust the vendor's eye to tell you how visible that inclusion is.

if you call them in - do the testing that we have told you about to determine if there is any leakage...

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

asscher 1

asscher 2

1 is a good contender.
as mentioned above, colored background and ASET images will be key factors in assisting you assess light performance.
I haven’t looked at 2. Like @OoohShiny, I’m not a fan of obvious inclusions. Not a clarity “freak”, as my EC has an SI2 clarity grade, BUT, even under magnification, it doesn’t deserve the clarity grade it received. I’ve seen VS clarity graded stones with worse inclusions under magnification...soooooo......
That being said, I’m comfortable only commenting on 1.
Is there any way the vendor can provide more info for you?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy either of those? Bearing in mind the photography is hugely different in each video, I liked # 2. I don't think you'd see that inclusion and if it's as pretty as the video, you'd say it's a beauty mark. #2 made me look for my credit card.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results