shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Aquamarine valuable?

missmrs

Rough_Rock
Hey! I recieved this pendant as a wedding gift. It is an Aqumarine set in what I assume is 18k gold. There is a 750 stamp on the back. Any ideas on value? Is it worth having it appraised for insurance?

photo__6_.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would post this on the CS forum as you will get more responces there.

Off the bat I can say that the color and cutting aren't optimal for an aqua but it is still a lovely necklace. I don't think you would get much for resale of it if you are trying to sell it. Though I think it is a lovely gift. Also an appraisal won't tell you if there has been any treatment on the aqua so that is sort of worthless. I personally wouldn't bother insuring this piece as I don't see it having a high dollar value. For reference I only insure pieces in my personal collection that are over 1k in value and I just don't see this piece hitting that dollar amount...once again I could be wrong so I would hit up the colored stone forum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful necklace! Aquas generally aren't very high priced, so it would not be an item I would add to insurance. I really only insure things over $4-5k because making small claims isn't a good idea.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is my understanding that the 750 is the mark used by italian gold designers and indicates 18k gold.

the aqua? well, color is not optimal and it is windowed. however, nice size and i wouldn't complain if i rec'd it as a gift!

why is the color not optimal? because through out the ages [and i do mean centuries] the popular color for aqua changes with the mood of the populace. right now the highly priced and sought after aqua color is a crystal blue. a well cut aqua of the optimal color with or without a window such as this stone would be very expensive. without a window would be astronomical.

your aqua is to the green side [which is what i prefer] which reduces its value in the market place right now....however, that could change in 20 years! unfortunately, the color [tone and saturation] at least in this picture are such that the window is very noticeable.

again, i would not turn this stone and chain down if someone gave it to me! larger stones cut to maximize carat size and not waste precious rough, well, i see high end designers using such stones all the time and wanting LOTS of $ for their efforts.

it is possible this will appraise for more than you think....or less. personally? i'd get it appraised by a COLOR STONE expert, not a jewelry store owner. that would then give me the info i needed to decide whether to insure it or not. trust me: many here don't think of aqua as an expensive stone; however, if all the criteria fall into line aqua's can break the beer budget most of us have, including me.

this still has a bit of green to it and is not the crystal blue of the most desired aqua.....but let me tell you, this aqua ranks high in my book:

http://www.africagems.com/aquamarine.html

note: you were not given a throw away stone or chain! but it does have limitations on the market. personally? i'd wear it and not leave it sitting in a jewelry box!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results