shape
carat
color
clarity

is this AGS diamond a good buy? help please!!

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
Hi, I've been working with a local jeweler to find a diamond for my engagement ring. She found an AGS diamond with the following specs...

1.71ct
G color
SI1 clarity
ideal/excellent cut
depth 61.3%
table 56.6%
crown angle 35.7
pavilion angle 40.2

the HCA score for this diamond is 0.8. The price is $16100. I love everything about the diamond, the only thing is that it has strong blue fluorescence. I looked at the diamond in person and it didn't look milky or cloudy. It was raining that day so I didn't get a chance to look at it in the sunlight. Do you think $16100 is a good price for this diamond?? I think if the diamond had no fluorescence at all then I'll probably feel that it's a good buy. But the strong blue is throwing me off a little. I'm worried that it will look obviously blue in sunlight. Does anyone have strong blue diamonds and are they noticeable blue in sunlight or the dark??

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
opinions?? does anyone know about/have experience with strong fluorescence?? Thanks a bunch!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
The cost seems to be on the very low side of internet comprables...

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/199007

with an AGS certificate, if contemporary zero, this will be more reliable than a positive HCA score. Do you have more info on the certificate...is it recent, does is show zero? Though the HCA score is favorable...the numbers are not exactly standard, but I personally think HCA gives pretty good cover, and...you've seen it.

the blue flor has been know to give a discount. Also, in night clubs, it will glow, so some people look for that...some it creeps out. Generally, here, its a thumbs up. I think Brian Gavin has an intentional series on them.

Best,

Ira Z.

jessie1213

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input! the date on the report was from February 2011, but I don't remember much else. I guess $16000 is a pretty low price for a 1.7ct with an AGS report.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
jessie1213|1316751172|3023604 said:
Thank you for your input! the date on the report was from February 2011, but I don't remember much else. I guess $16000 is a pretty low price for a 1.7ct with an AGS report.

Probably...inasmuch as the rule of thumb is that a diamond would not be sent to AGS unless it would do pretty well there.

Then again, if it came back with an AGS3 or even 2 for light performance, I'd be moving on.

It's your money. I'd figure this out before exchanging cash for diamond.

Ira Z.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results