shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a Victorian or Victorian revival brooch???

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I brought this brooch from an online dealer, which I love. It was labeled "antique/vintage". It has very glowy garnets and intricate hand carved/chased (?) 18k rose gold filigree. Does anyone know approximately what decade it's from? I tried to figure it out from the pin in the back (trombone?) but the websites I went to really didn't help me narrow it down much. I also couldn't figure out the maker's mark. Anyone have clue? Multiple pics below (sorry if I'm not doing this right). Thanks in advance for your help!:

1666037532310.png

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I think Victorian brooches usually have t-shaped hinges and c-catches. Round hinge and trombone clasp were popular after the 1900s. So I would say Victorian revival? I might be wrong though! I looked into this when I was trying to date one of my brooches and one of the sources of info I used was this article: https://www.modernvintagestyle.co.uk/Dating-brooches-by-clasp

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
Thank you, @Daisys and Diamonds! The filigree work on it is amazing. I think it's kind of funky and elegant at the same time and can be worn horizontally or vertically depending on my mood :)

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @Daisys and Diamonds! The filigree work on it is amazing. I think it's kind of funky and elegant at the same time and can be worn horizontally or vertically depending on my mood :)

we hope to see pictures then

=)2

the only way brooches are going to come back into mainstream fashion is if we start wearing them more

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Victorian revival. The garnets would be a different color and set differently if it were Victorian, and the style is not typical of Victorian style and workmanship. Still, beautiful and well made!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results