shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a real opal?

Raluqqq

Rough_Rock
Hello, guys!
I recently got this ring with an opal stone and i want know if it's real. Also, in direct light the stone has a red-purple hue.
Does anyone know? any information is helpful.
Thank you! IMG_20191025_151118.jpg IMG_20191025_151001.jpg IMG_20191025_151058.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Underside picture of the ring please.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very likely to be real.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Opal looks real to me, doesn't look like a doublet or triplet. Plus the ring is totally cute ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks real, but they make synthetic opal like that too.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I’m not too knowledgeable on opal so I’m not sure beyond what I know. I have a Australian black opal with mostly blue and green colors a lot like this one and the underside is black. It is not an doublet - the black is potch which is what the opal is formed on. Can somebody with more knowledge explain this better for me? Is the potch left on some opals and not others?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say it’s synthetic opal. some of the lab made opal is very nice looking. Its more likely if the ring isn’t solid gold / if the surrounding gems aren’t diamonds.
black opal is often backed by dark potch, it’s how it’s found. It can help give that desired dark background for the colours to display better. But just to confuse people, doublets and triplets are a slim sliver of real opal glued to a backing. Gives a similar appearance to black opal with natural potch backing. If the opal is set, it’s harder to tell the difference but under magnification you can see the “join seam” on the edge If it’s an assembled stone ie doublet or Triplet. The join will also be “perfectly straight”. Doublets are a sliver of opal glued to a backing. Usually “flat topped”. Triplets are the same idea except a clear top (glass or plastic) is glued on to create a dome/ cabochon shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results