shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a horrible cut?

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
I know it’s on the shallow side. The video of it has lots of sparkle but I’d love some opinions 64BC160A-5CFD-49F9-AEAA-D0ADE0696C82.png

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
It’s not good. When you’re looking at pictures/videos you want to see a clear arrows pattern like this one. The video you have looks like there’s a lot of leakage around the center which means light will just go right through it instead of reflecting back. F2E85EC0-BB62-4DE1-9212-FCCB0891F25A.jpeg

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Horrible is a subjective word. Me, I don’t really like H&A patterns in stones. I appreciate the physical light properties and cutting precision that creates them, but I don’t want to stare at that on my hand.

What aesthetic are you going for? Sparkle and optical light reflection vs refraction aren’t the same thing.

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
Looking for 4 carat ish. I have sausage fingers so I prefer a larger stone but obviously I have a budget to stick to. My last diamond was 60 something percent deep and the shallowness never phased me. I know the size I want will mean I have to sacrifice certain quality standards. This diamond was quoted as 27k. I have my eye on a few James Allen stones that are a bit warmer. I would consider some “k” colored stones but don’t want to go past that. GIA laser drilled (not filled) diamonds intrigue me because i think it could give me more bang for my buck but I can’t seem to find many and diamond search engines don’t offer it as a filter.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
CGL Labs is not a favorite lab here; doing a search (up above) for comparables to this diamond finds the least expensive one is $44K. That should tell you this diamond isn't a particularly well cut diamond, not only is it shallow but the table is larger-larger than the depth.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try looking for stones with GIA certificates, and plug them into this tool. If it gets a number that's between 0-2, it's worth considering. And you may need to up your budget a bit if you want a 4 carat K. I wouldn't consider a filled diamond. Would you consider labs? I really don't have any suggestions there but the lab forum is filled with experienced people who can probably give you more guidance.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortinately this is a poorly cut stone. Stones that are cut well will sparkle more than large stones that are cut poorly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA laser drilled (not filled) diamonds intrigue me because i think it could give me more bang for my buck but I can’t seem to find many and diamond search engines don’t offer it as a filter.

Waste of $$$! :silenced: There ain't no CHEAP diamonds in the market. What you'll paid is what you'll get!.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I would just run. Cut is very poor. Stone has "very good" symmetry per the cert, as opposed to excellent. Surely, some of the symmetry issues are related to the fact the stone is OUT OF ROUND, as it measures 10.40 x 10.57mm. While it's very rare those two numbers will be identical, 0.17mm variance is unacceptable.

Not to mention the lab cert isn't GIA or AGS certified, which are both trusted & respected labs. So who knows if the stone is actually an I-VS2. If sent to a more credible lab, it may come back as an L-SI2. Think what that would do the overall value!

Again, please RUN from this stone and don't look back! Here is a potential alternate for your consideration.

GIA XXX 4.20 K-SI1 @ $31,407
https://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=2711854

56t, 62.30d, 35c/40.6p & 80lgf

I know, it's above $27k but it's from a trusted lab & vendor. Also, the proportions tell me it will be a nice firey stone. It checks out good on the HCA. The one concern I have is that is has strong blue fluor (SBF). This may not be a negative at all, as the SBF would help whiten the stone ever so slightly in high UV lighting (think outside on a sunny day). You will need to ask the vendor to ensure there are no clarity (cloudy/milky) issues associated with the SBF.

Also, while the clarity plot looks pretty clean for an SI1, I would want to double check and make sure it's an eye clean stone. There were no vides or photos for me to analyze. The plot looks like the table is mostly clean. I'd just want to make sure you don't have some nasty black crystals.

Capture.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results