shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good stone??? Please help!

mai_gosh

Rough_Rock
Hi! Is this a good stone? It has a GIA cert. It's "I" color and SI1. I am concerned with the "I" color but I plugged the numbers in the HCA and it came out 1.4. and got 3 excellants out of 4. Thoughts??
_23568.jpg _23569.jpg

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
This wouldn't be my first choice, as it is a 60/60 stone and SI2 clarity. Depending on how picky you are about color, a stone as large as 2 carats will show some definite body color in an I. This stone almost certainly isn't eye-clean as an SI2.

If you tell us your budget for the stone and some things you are looking for we can help you out a lot more in your search.

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
Plus, I don't love where that cloud and feather (I believe, hard to tell from photo) is right under the table of the stone. Instead of being spread out or able to be covered by a prong, it looks like it'll be right under the table and completely in view.

mai_gosh

Rough_Rock
I am trading my current ring for this 2 ct. My current on is AGS cert. F color I1 cut grade: good. They are giving me 6600 for my ring. The 2 ct. is at Bailey Banks and Biddle for 22k. My husband is only letting me upgrade if I trade in my current ring. So what should I be looking for? The store manager told me that "I" color on a GIA cert is not yellow at all. I am going back on Tues. to compare an "I" color with an "F" color with same specs. The "I" color is 22k and the "F" color is 36k. I rather not spend 30K out of pocket. What is so "bad" about a 60/60? The diamond I am looking at has a 1.4 HCA score. What questions should I ask when I go back to the jewelry store on Tuesday?? Thanks!!

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
mai_gosh|1414371462|3773106 said:
I am trading my current ring for this 2 ct. My current on is AGS cert. F color I1 cut grade: good. They are giving me 6600 for my ring. The 2 ct. is at Bailey Banks and Biddle for 22k. My husband is only letting me upgrade if I trade in my current ring. So what should I be looking for? The store manager told me that "I" color on a GIA cert is not yellow at all. I am going back on Tues. to compare an "I" color with an "F" color with same specs. The "I" color is 22k and the "F" color is 36k. I rather not spend 30K out of pocket. What is so "bad" about a 60/60? The diamond I am looking at has a 1.4 HCA score. What questions should I ask when I go back to the jewelry store on Tuesday?? Thanks!!

A 60/60 stone is not necessarily bad. At times they are deemed as poorer performers because of a potential lack of fire and reflection of colored light. I will leave more of a diamond pro to answer that in better detail.

I really hope I don't burst your bubble, but I firmly believe what you are looking at is a potential rip-off. Is there any way you can sell your piece? Maybe keep your diamond for a pendant?

Below is one of the best branded cut diamonds on the market. I have listed a same size and color diamond for you to look at. As you will see, it is TWO clarity grades better than the diamond you are looking at. And because of the reputation and specifics of the A Cut Above line, I can say with at least 99% certainty that it will be a prettier and more fiery stone than the one you are looking at. PLUS, just take a look at their upgrade policy, if you ever decide to go that way again, it will be an easy process.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114550.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3157616.htm (another, and still one clarity grade better than the one you are looking at)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.947-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104074500018 (slightly smaller but cheaper, too)

In any event, what matters most is what will make you most happy. Walk in there tuesday and compare the diamonds side-by-side. Haggle with the price some. Just know that they probably can and should come down on that stone. As there are many what I will deem as better (sight-unseen) stones on the market for cheaper than the price they are asking.

mai_gosh

Rough_Rock
All those diamonds are gorgeous! Unfortunately my husband is not willing to spend money UNLESS I get rid of my current stone. The jewelry store will only give me 3500 outright for the stone but will allow me 6600 (plus 1400 for a earring studs for a total of 8k off) as a trade in. I will go and haggle prices and see what else is available. Unfortunately my husband is a brick and mortar guy and believes that the internet will rip you off. SIGH.....Since it's his money, I will have to follow his wishes even if that means paying more. Thank you! I will def. post some more options on Tuesday!

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
mai_gosh|1414377163|3773139 said:
All those diamonds are gorgeous! Unfortunately my husband is not willing to spend money UNLESS I get rid of my current stone. The jewelry store will only give me 3500 outright for the stone but will allow me 6600 (plus 1400 for a earring studs for a total of 8k off) as a trade in. I will go and haggle prices and see what else is available. Unfortunately my husband is a brick and mortar guy and believes that the internet will rip you off. SIGH.....Since it's his money, I will have to follow his wishes even if that means paying more. Thank you! I will def. post some more options on Tuesday!

Either way, I feel certain you will be happy. There's nothing wrong with spending money at a local business. :boohoo:

But technically, Whiteflash IS a brick and mortar store. Fly to Houston and see for yourself. :dance:

Keep me updated, and the biggest congrats on upgrading your stone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
60/60 stones are great when they are good ones with the right angles. Problem is few of them have those.

You want a pavilion angle between 40.2 and 41.2 degrees And crown between 33.5-36 generally. AND they have to work together to give you an HCA score of 2.5 and under. AND you need an idealscope image.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

So, that one you posted, is a no FOR A RING because the crown is too shallow. But for earrings or a pendant, as long as the HCA score is good (which it will be with those numbers) if could be a good stone.

Okay.

Diamonds are more complicated than: 60/60 is bad. SI2 is bad.

No. There are some great SI2's out there. There are some bad ones. There are some great 60/60's out there. There are some bad ones.

Okay?

mai_gosh

Rough_Rock
Gypsy Thank you for your response. With those numbers you provided the crown angle is only .5 off. Is that not good enough? Everything else is within parameter of a good diamond no? The SI2 is not ideal but it is eye clean. Unfortunately my husband will only let me trade in and spend around 15k for an upgrade. He made that very clear so I will have to work on his terms. My ring right now is I1 and F color good cut (AGS cert.) and I absolutely love it. So I am thinking the only thing that might bother me is the "I" color on the 2 ct. Now I know why it's best for the husband to just surprise you with presents. This researching is hard and it makes me doubt and want so much! hahahah Thank you all of your advice and input! I really appreciate it! It's hard for me to ask my friends b/c I feel like upgrading is too selfish when people are having financial problems or concerns :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results