shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price for a 1.17 VS2 H EGL Cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MyEyez

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I wanted to get some opinions on the engagement ring I''m considering purchasing. The specs below are from the EGL International certificate. I''m aware that EGL may be a little loose on their grading, but I think I still might be getting a great deal. The price I was given was $3800 for the diamond in a basic 14k white gold setting. The seller is a friend of a friend who owns a jewelry store and swears that its a strong H and mounts up nicely. So my question is... even with it being EGL and possibly having slightly lower specs then whats on the cert is this a good buy? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Shape: Round Brilliant
Weight: 1.17
Clarity: VS2
Color: H
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Depth: 59.4%
Table: 60%
Crown Height: 13%
Pavilion Depth: 44%
Girdle: Medium
Fluorescence: None
"Premium Cut"

Using the Holloway Cut Advisor I get
Light Return: Good
Fire: Good
Scintillation: Good
Spread: Excellent
Total Visual Performance: 3.4

MyEyez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Just curious why you would like one of those better? Even if my EGL cert was a little off and it was an I color SI1 wouldn''t it still be a better deal?
33.gif

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the other diamonds over the one you posted about was bc the numbers are better so therefore cut is better(get IScope to confirm)....when you choose diamonds you want to have cut be 1st priority bc it makes the diamond sparkle. Also with EGL who knows what the color or clarity is, it could be a J SI2....So even tho your diamond is bigger its not a good performer. The diamonds I posted are smaller but not by much and they are not much more money than the diamond you posted about. In other words, I would rather spend a little more and get a better performer bc a better performer is what you are going to notice across the room and what will amaze you with its sparkle

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 10:07:45 PM
Author:MyEyez
Hello all, I wanted to get some opinions on the engagement ring I''m considering purchasing. The specs below are from the EGL International certificate. I''m aware that EGL may be a little loose on their grading, but I think I still might be getting a great deal. The price I was given was $3800 for the diamond in a basic 14k white gold setting. The seller is a friend of a friend who owns a jewelry store and swears that its a strong H and mounts up nicely. So my question is... even with it being EGL and possibly having slightly lower specs then whats on the cert is this a good buy? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Shape: Round Brilliant
Weight: 1.17
Clarity: VS2
Color: H
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Depth: 59.4%
Table: 60%
Crown Height: 13%
Pavilion Depth: 44%
Girdle: Medium
Fluorescence: None
''Premium Cut''

Using the Holloway Cut Advisor I get
Light Return: Good
Fire: Good
Scintillation: Good
Spread: Excellent
Total Visual Performance: 3.4
rule #1...never buy from a friend of a friend whose in the diamond business.
38.gif

if he''s so sure the stone is an H color tell him to send it to GIA or AGS lab.
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 11:32:52 PM
Author: Mrs W
I would choose the other diamonds over the one you posted about was bc the numbers are better so therefore cut is better(get IScope to confirm)....when you choose diamonds you want to have cut be 1st priority bc it makes the diamond sparkle. Also with EGL who knows what the color or clarity is, it could be a J SI2....So even tho your diamond is bigger its not a good performer. The diamonds I posted are smaller but not by much and they are not much more money than the diamond you posted about. In other words, I would rather spend a little more and get a better performer bc a better performer is what you are going to notice across the room and what will amaze you with its sparkle
Ditto Breann.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
I might be able to answer for you. That price is too good to be true. That would make me run.. and fast. You get what you pay for and rarely find a true deal. That stone is defiantly not a VS2 or a premium cut. If you want size VS quality than that ring maybe for you.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
Hello and welcome!

Date: 4/7/2009 11:25:14 PM
Author: MyEyez
Thanks for the reply. Just curious why you would like one of those better? Even if my EGL cert was a little off and it was an I color SI1 wouldn't it still be a better deal?
33.gif

The diamond you have posted may be a little less money, but it most likely won't be a dazzler. The goal with the HCA is to score less than 2 and is used only to weed out bad performing stones. You should shoot for Excellent or Very good in each of the categories.

If you're not opposed to buying online and if you are willing to share your budget, we'd be happy to suggest some more alternatives. Also, do you know what color grade you're comfortable with? If you do, it'll help us narrow down the choices for you.

Either way, I personally would not buy the EGL diamond from your first post. I do not think it is worth the asking price. Good luck in your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results