shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
can someone tell me what they think of this rock?

Princess cut
0.81 carats
5.27 x 5.16 x 3.59 mm
Depth 69.6%
Table 72%
Crown height 10%
Pavillion depth 56%
Girdle, thin polished
Polish good to very good
Symmetry good to very good
Cutlet none
SI1
graining nil
Color H
Flourescence none
EGL
$1907-
:lickout:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi MC, since it's EGL graded you might want to get it checked independently.

Otherwise, sounds good.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid.

there seems to be a significant bias towards GIA and a large quantity of bad thoughts towards EGL...

If EGL is so bad how are they staying in business? I am under the impression they have to grade using the same standards and the same instruments as GIA, the difference being that humans grade diamonds not machines... but that is true at both companies.

I would think that one could still get an honest and accurate appraisal out of EGL, or am I wrong?:errrr:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
there seems to be a significant bias towards GIA and a large quantity of bad thoughts towards EGL...
--------------

True. It is not my idea - just the fact in the industry. Same is applied to IGI.

-------
If EGL is so bad how are they staying in business?
-------

Both EGL and IGI labs exist on industry money, If a vendor wants a diamond to be graded SI2 instead of I1 he might send it to EGL.

EGL labs are franchised and some of them are less strict than others.

Check also Oldminer posts in these threads:

[/u][/u]

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
OK, so then if the above rated diamond is graded by EGL I should expect it to be an SI2, I, or can it still be an SI1, H? I will have it appraised when I get it, and I did get it... expecting it in the mail next week.

I hate to think I am buying something other than what I paid for... I am sure it will still be a decent looking stone since it is cut well, but am now feeling aprehensive about the quality.

How can a newcomer to this game of buying a diamond actually get what they pay for? Obviously I am one of the people here with a low budget... is there hope for us or do we just get the short end of the stick as per usual?:-o

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/6/2002 12:09:54 PM

OK, so then if the above rated diamond is graded by EGL I should expect it to be an SI2, I, or can it still be an SI1, H? I will have it appraised when I get it, and I did get it... expecting it in the mail next week.

I hate to think I am buying something other than what I paid for... I am sure it will still be a decent looking stone since it is cut well, but am now feeling aprehensive about the quality.

How can a newcomer to this game of buying a diamond actually get what they pay for? Obviously I am one of the people here with a low budget... is there hope for us or do we just get the short end of the stick as per usual?:-o
----------------

You don't have to get the short end of the stick. You just have to be a savvy shopper and figure out what you can actually afford. Nobody is giving anything away, but there are vendors on pricescope that work on small margins. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. If this stone turns out to be problematic for you, choose a vendor with good prices that you can trust and ask him/her to find you what you want. See what he/she comes up with for you.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results