shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond?

qq830821

Rough_Rock
I am after a 1.5ct rock with a budget of around 8k USD.
I currently have my eye on this one

But i am a bit concerned about intended natural. is this a thing that i should avoid?

Can people with exp here pls provide some comments on the rock?

Many thanks

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am after a 1.5ct rock with a budget of around 8k USD.
I currently have my eye on this one

But i am a bit concerned about intended natural. is this a thing that i should avoid?

Can people with exp here pls provide some comments on the rock?

Many thanks

Details from the GIA site for ease of reading:

Measurements

Diamond dimensions listed as “minimum diameter – maximum diameter x depth” for round diamonds and “length x width x depth” for fancy-shaped diamonds.
7.22 - 7.28 x 4.60 mm
Carat Weight

Weight given in carats, recorded to the nearest hundredth of a carat. One carat is equal to 1/5 of a gram.
1.50 carat

Color Grade

The absence of color ranging from colorless to light yellow or brown when compared to GIA Master Color Comparison Diamonds.
I

Clarity Grade

The relative absence of inclusions and blemishes. Graded on a scale from Flawless to Included based on size, nature, number, position, and relief of characteristics visible under 10x magnification.
VS2

Cut Grade

For standard, D-to-Z color, round brilliant diamonds. Cut grade incorporates the aspects of face-up appearance, design, and craftsmanship.
Excellent
proportions

Depth

Table-to-culet depth, expressed as a percentage of average girdle diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.
63.4 %
Table

Table size expressed as a percentage of a round brilliant’s average girdle diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.
57 %
Crown Angle

The average of the angles of the bezel facet planes relative to the table planes.
36.5°
Crown Height

Measurement from the table plane to the intersection of the bezel facet with the girdle. The Crown Height % is the average crown height relative to the average diameter for round shapes and width for fancy shapes.
16.0%
Pavilion Angle

Average of the angles formed by the pavilion main facet planes and the girdle plane.
41.2°
Pavilion Depth

Measured from the girdle to the culet, then expressed as a percentage of average girdle diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.
43.5%
Star Length

Length of star facets expressed as a percentage of the total distance between the girdle and the edge of the table facet.
50%
Lower Half

Length of lower-half facets expressed as a percentage of the total distance between the girdle and the culet.
80%
Girdle

Thickness of the intersection of the crown and pavilion which defines the perimeter of the diamond.
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet

Size of the facet at the tip of a gemstone relative to the average diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.
None

It's a No from me, though. The crown and pavilion angles are steep and deep respectively, which when they are both present means the light will not return out of the top of the stone properly.

This can be seen from the Holloway Cut Advisor (HCA) tool score of over 4, whereas you should look for stones with a score under 2 (up to maybe 2.5ish) for stones with complementary angles.

The HCA tool can be found under the Tools tab at the top of the forum.

It is quickest and easiest to use the diamond Search Bar at the top of the forum, because you will only have limited HCA tool uses but the Search tool can filter out stones that don't score under 2.

To do this, enter your preferred range of criteria (colour, clarity, carat weight) and then use the Filters (at the top of the page that comes up) to select only AGS000 and GIA XXX stones, then select an HCA score of 'Excellent' only. This should vastly reduce the list of stones and help you find some good options quickly.

If you wish to search other sites yourself, though, sticking to the following ranges will help find stones that perform better than others:

Table 54-58%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion Angle 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or even 36 with a shallow, 40.6 pavilion)

When the crown angle increases, the pavilion angle should decrease, and vice versa - e.g. 40.6p with 35.5c, but 40.9p with 34c.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. The angles are terrible. Please do not choose this diamond.

Its going to be tough to get to 1.5 carats that are well cut and good performing in your budget (which is a nice budget). So, something is going to have to give. I would recommend you buy the best-cut, best performing stone in your budget and then you can upgrade in the future.

Adding to @OoohShiny post,

I personally
  • Eliminate cavities and knots; eliminate "clouds" not shown on VS2 or below, eliminate any black crystals on the visible surface - inspect for reflection within the stone.
  • Florescence: up to the poster. I like it and don't worry if I work with a good vendor that can screen for it. But, you asked for zero or faint a bit lower in this thread.
  • Eliminate if don't have a 3D view or photo on VS2 and below
There is some subtlety at the edges of a lot of this that would lead me to post something outside these criteria. But, I'll usually add some narrative. Different PS members also might allow slightly different angles. There is science, but also a lot of judgement.

Nearly in budget: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089366.htm {superideal, WF has great customer service and allows upgrade with $1 more, unlike most which require you double the cost}

Last edited:

qq830821

Rough_Rock
thanks guys for your help i will keep searching

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results