shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal for this Tacori engagement ring & band?

kostomashka

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I have an opportunity to purchase an authentic Tacori engagement ring and wedding band. They are slightly used but in brand new shape.

engagement ring: Tacori 2620RDMDP in 18K white gold (http://www.since1910.com/engagement/tacori/tacori-engagement-ring-with-pave-set-diamonds-2620rdp-ps1245.aspx?gclid=CPaNqq2o-KsCFcsBQAodMED8kQ)

wedding band: Tacori 2630BMD1/2 in 18K white gold (http://www.topperjewelers.com/jewelry/tacori/2630BMD)

I can buy both of these items for about $3000-$3300. Looks like a good deal to me, but what do you experts say? Also, this will leave me about $2000 to spend on a diamond for the engagement ring. Can I get something nice for it in that budget? And how much will it cost to size-up a ring like this, I will need to bring it from a size 5 to a size 6.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Alex

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Is this a good deal for this Tacori engagement ring & ba

Alex, did the bands have the diamonds half or 3/4 of the way around with plain metal at the bottom? If not, you're going to get into major expense with sizing. Sizing pave shanks can be a problem even if there is plain metal at the bottom because it can loosen the pave on the rest of the shank.

One other thing you'd have to know. The ring you are looking at was made to fit a certain size center stone. Do you know what size that is?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

if that band is a eternity ring then you can't size it.
As for the engagement ring if they have all the paper work to show it is Tacori then you can transfer it under your name and they should be able to size it for you for free.
as of $2,000 for the diamond, it will be very hard to find a decent diamond in a decent size with that budget so you need to first check what size stone does the engagement ring hold. if it holds a 1ct center stone and $2,000 is sure not going to get you a nice one then the setting is useless to you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone else has said. It is a beautiful set but you need to make sure it can be resized.

At 2k, you're probably looking at a .50 - .60 diamond. Doesn't usually make sense to spend more on the setting than the diamond but you are looking at quite a deal on a Tacori ering AND wedding band.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alex, there are tons of Tacori rings on ebay in size 6.5. I wouldn't buy a setting with diamonds on the shank and try to size it. You could probably put sizing beads in a 6.5 and not bother the pave shank. But also, diamonds are quite high right now, and I definitely wouldn't put all but $2000 into the two rings. At least buy just an engagement ring and worry about the wedding band later. $2000 may get you around a .60 ct. diamond and $5000 will get you up into the .80-.90 range. I'd really recommend spending as much as possible on the diamond.

kostomashka

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I will be sure to check what size stone this ring was designed to handle.

As far as resizing, I would imagine it is harder to size up than down, correct? From the research I've done on Tacori, it seems that they use white gold with a mix of paladium in it so that it won't become yellowish over time. So if this Tacori ring will need to be sized up, it will have to happen at a Tacori dealer only?

diamondseeker2006: the wedding band has diamonds around half of the ring.

minmin001: could you provide more info or a link about Tacori's ownership transfer process please? It woud be great to get it resized for free.

Thank you all for the fast responses. Looks like my next step is to figure out what size diamond this is made for and how to effectively do the resizing.

Alex

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The only way I'd consider resizing is if Tacori would do it. But I will warn you that it may loosen the pave stones on the shank and cause problems later. I'd only buy my exact size if I were buying a Tacori. It is good that the wedding band is only half diamonds, though. Many of the store sample rings have 1 ct. stones in them, so it will be interesting to see what this one has. It would need to fit around a 5.5mm stone if you went with a .60 or so.

kostomashka

Rough_Rock

One more question -- Tacori model names usually designate a setting's overall size. What I mean to say is that many settings come in a larger size and a smaller size. This model number I'm looking at, Tacori 2620RDMDP, is this a larger size of this style or a smaller size? Thanks.

Alex

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock

^That's the medium size.

footshooter5

Rough_Rock

Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, the factory produced rings that are made for jewelers and displays come with a preset sized stone. If I'm not mistake, the minimum diameter recommended for the 2620 RDMDP is 6.90 or 6.91mm, which equates to approximately a 1.19 ct (I believe it can take up to a 1.75 ct)

Just putting in my two cents :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

footshooter5|1319243239|3045168 said:
Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, the factory produced rings that are made for jewelers and displays come with a preset sized stone. If I'm not mistake, the minimum diameter recommended for the 2620 RDMDP is 6.90 or 6.91mm, which equates to approximately a 1.19 ct (I believe it can take up to a 1.75 ct)

This was what I was getting at. If he has $2000 left for a stone, there is almost no chance that this setting would work. He'd need at least $8000 or 10k for a stone for that setting.

footshooter5

Rough_Rock

Agreed - maybe you could save a bit of money going with an EGL stone...but there are plenty of threads devoted to the pitfalls of that.

It's a beautiful setting for sure, but you might have to scale back expectations a little bit on the setting, and put more money towards a stone, like previously suggested.

Best of luck!

diamondseeker2006|1319246059|3045192 said:

This was what I was getting at. If he has $2000 left for a stone, there is almost no chance that this setting would work. He'd need at least $8000 or 10k for a stone for that setting.

kostomashka

Rough_Rock

All good suggestions, thank you. You guys always talk me out of doing something stupid.

Right now I am looking at buying this style setting with a diamond I can afford at Rokstok. I'm gonna search around and see how a .7 to .9 diamond looks on this style setting. Hopefully I can make something work in my $5K budget.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1319246059|3045192 said:

yes. I think you need to really think about using the majority of your budget on the perfect stone- with diamond prices today you budget will be mainly spent on a stone. Many people get a temporary setting intially and then upgrade the setting for an anniversary- or you could even do it for the wedding. THis would allow you to get the best stone possible (depending on what is important to you...) and then getting the perfect setting later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results