shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a fool-proof method?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
ok, so maybe i have found the answer to my own question. maybe.

i used the price-stats part of this website, and found that for an E color, VS2 clarity, 1A cut, round diamond, it costs 10,657 per carat. i have a budget of 25k...so for a 2.5 carat ring (what i am looking for)..i would be only slightly over budget at $26,642. Would this ring be the best combination of size and quality for my money? Is there anyone who thinks that for an absolutely gorgeous stone, i should go down in size if i only want to spend about 25k? (i realize i would still have to figure out the issue of the setting, b/c i have yet to see one six prong setting that i would be happy with, with the exception of the Tiffany setting. it is truly a cut above the rest in my opinion) thanks in advance for any responses!

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Hey,

That is exactly what I did - so your method worked for me ... however don't forget that there can potentially be a big difference between EGL and GIA/AGS grading -... and you should still look at the HCA score and get the stone looked at professionally (Bill at Consumer Gem Labs turned around my stone in 3 days - ON A WEEKEND).

I did what you have done sofar, except I made sure that the cut was a good HCA (you will need crown and pavillion angles) and I chose an H colour ... personal preference - but I made sure that it was a GIA/AGS cert - again up to personal preference and how much you trust the seller.

Hope this helps - I just got my AGA 1A 2.42HVS2 GIA today with a 0.8 HCA score - cost me $17k and it is a beaut !

Good luck !

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Gift...

Sorry - forgot to mention one thing - I also went for depth <61% (to get better spread for money) - again personal preference, but sometimes small measurement changes in depth carry a lot of extra weight... again - personal preference.

Good luck.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
so, if i were to order a 1A cut..VS2...E colored 2.5 carat diamond...is that a guarantee that it will be spectacular? is that enough information to determine how the stone will appear? or would i still need more info to be sure.
confused.gif

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Gift...

You would still need a lot more information - take a look at the information, which is presented on goodoldgold for each diamond - you pretty much need all that info to determine whether the stone is nice, great or fantastic.

As an example, I attach the light return characteristics of the stone I just received today.

Good Luck !

Brill3.JPG

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
so now i feel like the 4c's are basically just a starting point...and TONS more info is required to know what you are getting. BUT i thought if the 4 C's were in line, AND the cut was ideal- shouldn't that guarantee a certain quality stone? you are saying that an E color, ideal cut, VS 2 clarity, 25,000 dollar stone..STILL might not be all that great?! this is insane to me!! HELP! this is what makes me want to go to tiffanys and just plop down the money, and know that it wil be a beautiful stone in a beautiful setting. ya know?

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
gift... I know what you mean - took me a couple of weeks to understand the cut issues....

I think you are pretty certain that an EVS? GIA diamond of ideal cut is going to be SPECTACULAR !!!

But to me it is all about value for money - that is what has kept me coming to Pricescope... I would rather choose a great diamond than to pay for a 'nice' diamond at Tiffany's - but again all about personal preference

I agree it is a bit confusing - the reason for that is you are trying to balance all the +'s and the -'s (a big one being price !!! - kinda like buying a house secondhand.. you need insurance appraisals, structural assessment - location etc etc. and each one is different, so you cannot really compare, only compromise on all the C's and hope to end up with something great !

If you want to be sure and you don't mind paying a little extra (still well below Tiffany's prices) then look at the H&A series at GoodOldGold or Superbcert and they have already done the work for you ! You can be sure that you will find the most excellent diamond there - it will cost ya a little more but a lot less than Tiffany's.

Just my 2c!

Good luck !

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's an 'ideal' stone? Be careful how you answer....there is no right one! Ideal is a marketing term used to describe what could be construed as an excellently cut stone. However just having the 3s such as clarity, color and carat weight are not enough. It is the 4th c..the cut..that will make ALL the difference in how your stone appears. Saying the cut is Ideal means absolutely nothing. Except to the vendor who is trying to jack up the price on that stone so you buy it.
2.gif
You will have to determine for yourself by research what exactly means excellently cut to you. It may be a small range and combination of crown angle, pavilion angle, table, depth and culet numbers..that's how many people do it.

Go to Tiffanys...plop down the $25k and you will NOT be guaranteed an ideal beautiful stone. What you will be guaranteed is a Tiffany branded stone. Not all Tiffany stones will be excellently cut. This is a huge misconception by the average general public. Sure many of Tiffany's stones will be great, but its no guarantee. I have seen a few Tiffany stones that are 61-62% tables...FAR out of the AGS 0 ideal range. But they sell em. Doesn't mean they aren't beautiful, but they are not 'ideal' per AGS standards and when paired with the wrong depth or pav angle, it can be a disaster. This is just an example of how complex figuring out all of this stuff really is. But it's fun--if you like to read!!

Suggest you read up on the Pscope Tutorial section, this is only just the beginning!!
1.gif

Oh and I agree with Final Cut...SuperbCut and GoodOldGold are great places to start looking, WhiteFlash as well. They all carry SuperIdeal stones or H&A branded/unbranded...which are all excellently cut stones. Take a look at their reports, bscope, closeups of the stones, etc etc..its sure to tempt you with the pretty eye candy.

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Mara,

I stand corrected about the 'ideal' issue - but then you'd have to appreciate that I have NEVER seen a diamond over 2ct in person and I really don't want to spend 3 months looking at stones - after all that is what makes PScope so great- the info is actually accessible and not hidden in some vendor's deep pockets ! I just got my stone today and it is awesome - but it is still the first >2ct diamond I have ever seen (apart from movies...)

I guess I was trying to put my buying experience across - and thanks to PScope and the internet this has really turned into a great experience for me !

Thanks again to everyone here at PScope.
wink2.gif
loopy.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FC...my ideal comment wasn't directed towards you but rather just the misconception of 'ideal'. It's hard to sometimes wrap your head around the fact that 'ideal' doesn't really mean much--especially when you hear the term thrown around everywhere, even by AGS! There is no foolproof method unfortunately, though you were right to suggest a few of the vendors you did in that they handpick their stones so you know you are at least choosing from the cream of the crop as opposed to a regular B&M or just a random internet vendor who may not have even seen the stone they are selling. I would highly recommend any newbie looking for some information and/or a good place to buy check out NiceIce, WhiteFlash, GOG and SuperbCert as the accolades from people on here are always coming through abou those 4. We also see positives on Abazias, Diamond Brokers of Florida and many others. These are the vendors I would want to buy from..and the first that I would start my search with!
1.gif

FC--did you post something about your stone purchase and where are the pix! We love 2c eye candy
1.gif

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Mara (apologies to gift...for hijacking..)

I did just get my 2.42 HVS2 and it looks just amazing. I have tried to photo with my Sony Cyber, but forgot to bring the connector - so will have to post on Monday when I get back home to Bermuda with the stone.... and the laptop !

It is an absolutely stunning and completely white AGA1A cut from AffordableDiamondsOnline (although not sure about the cutter) - I only have a pic of the stone and a temp ring right now - as attached !

Thanks again to PScope - two weeks worth of reading and I think I must have saved >$10k by not going to Tiffany's...

FC

TempRing4.JPG

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
beautiful!! what type of setting did you choose?

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Gift... thanks - I just received the stone yesterday, I am going to get the Vatche Royal Crown with channel bag's I think - although I cannot quite make up my mind about the baguette channel or the round channel yet..

Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results