shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there such thing as a SILVER or GREY diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
My future grandmother-in-law has this huge, gorgeous, silvery/grey diamond. That''s the only way I can explain it - it isn''t brown, it isn''t yellow at all - it''s like, grey. It shoots rainbows like CRAZY! What is this called? Just GREY? how is it graded? How do you find them? Are they more $$ than white?

Thanks for any info that you may provide! :)

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hm, this is very interesting! I have never heard of such a color - though of course i am no expert. Could it perhaps be a blue/grey? Such as the one here: http://www.icestore.com/search/fancy_diamond_inventory_detail.asp?ID=1181

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there are gray diamonds around and they do not have to be blueish. Gray with no blue is less expensive than white...but these are not very common so prices are quite inconsistent.

Here''s ONE

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are silvery grayish diamonds, some are quite beautifull, It could be a fancy gray, or blueish Gray, as far as how much they are worth, thats very personal.

Just keep in mind, almosy any diamond with a blueish color, is considered a rare color...
You can get it graded for color...

good luck,
31.gif

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock

There are many grey diamonds on the market and out there in general. Most are top light grays or silvers. They look whitish from a distance but dark and silver/grey close-up. If the diamond you are looking at is a very saturated grey, you could have something very rare.

36.gif
If there is anyway you can get you future grandmother in-law to an independent appraiser who could either give you an insurance appraisal or identification (diamond report) that would be the best thing to do. At GIA the way we explained in class the grading of grey color is if the diamond was less saturated with color than the J master stone, then you would grade it accordingly just like a brown or yellow. If the diamond had more color than J it would be graded as a fancy color grey. There is no fancy color silver on the grading reports. Just grey. I have to get going but I hope this helped.

I wanted to be clear on the no silver thing so I double checked with my Teacher friend at GIA and there are no fancy silvers. It is used in the trade but not as a grade at GIA. It is amazing what you can forget in 2 years

19.gif

Justin Krall G.G.; A.J.P.

Manhattan Appraisers, www.manhattanappraisers.com

Graduate Gemologist, Accredited Jewelry Professional

43 west 47th Street, Suite # 408

New York, NY 10036

212-764-0471

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results