shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there such a thing as too big?

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a diamond for my girlfriend, and I want to know from the other girls out there, is there such a thing as 'too big' or should I just go for the biggest stone that my wallet can allow?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, it depends on the hand,
personal style and social circle.

My 1.19ct EC that is a RHR is relatively small in the world of PS, however it is big by UK standard. I do not wear it to work and prefer to wear a 0.48ct EC instead.

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, it depends. As a guide, what size diamonds are your girlfriends friends, family and associates wearing? In some circles .50 carat is the norm, in others it might be 2 carats plus. When I was first engaged in my early 20s I thought 1 carat was mammoth. Many decades later I'm wearing much bigger. Also hand size has a bearing, 1 carat on a petite hand with size 4 fingers covers a lot more finger than the same stone on a large hand with size 9 fingers. Whatever you decide on, get the best quality for money. Most import in my opinion are cut first, clarity second and colour third. A poorly cut diamond just doesn't sparkle properly and that the main thing a diamond is expected to do. Clarity down to S 1 can be eye clean and colour down to H seems nicely white to most people. when it comes down to choosing the best diamond for your money, post again here and ask the experienced PSers for their guidance. Congratulations.

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
Bron357|1479597978|4100659 said:
Hmmm, it depends. As a guide, what size diamonds are your girlfriends friends, family and associates wearing? In some circles .50 carat is the norm, in others it might be 2 carats plus. When I was first engaged in my early 20s I thought 1 carat was mammoth. Many decades later I'm wearing much bigger. Also hand size has a bearing, 1 carat on a petite hand with size 4 fingers covers a lot more finger than the same stone on a large hand with size 9 fingers. Whatever you decide on, get the best quality for money. Most import in my opinion are cut first, clarity second and colour third. A poorly cut diamond just doesn't sparkle properly and that the main thing a diamond is expected to do. Clarity down to S 1 can be eye clean and colour down to H seems nicely white to most people. when it comes down to choosing the best diamond for your money, post again here and ask the experienced PSers for their guidance. Congratulations.
That's something I've never thought about, looking at what the people around her are wearing. That may really be helpful in determining what size to get for her. Thanks for that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results