shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a woman here who never wears makeup?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't wear makeup to bed. Does that count?

I found the older I got, the more makeup - well not more in how much I put on, but what I put on. As a teen - just blush and lip gloss.

In my 20s - moisturizer, blush, mascara, lip gloss (If I went out at night I would glitz it up with eyeliner and eye shadow)

In my30s - about the same as in my 20s except I would add sunscreen and concealer.

In my 40s, I started to use a tinted moisturizer and foundation sparingly and now in my 50s I just changed the type of makeup I wear - for everyday mineral makeup, eyebrow pencil, mascara only when going out, always wear eyeliner and some eyeshadow , and blush. And always, always a good moisturizer! Plus I find if I exfoliate on a regular basis I have no skin blotches and my moisturizer makes my skin glow.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1292020278|2793681 said:
The first time I ever bought foundation was the summer of 2008...for my wedding. I had to learn how to do make up in a hurry for that occasion! Even then, all I had was some foundation, some matte powder, eyeliner, and lipstick and I think I looked ok.

If left to my own devices I would not wear make up, however, when I started working in the hospital last year, my peers suggested I wear more make up to work so that I would look older. Apparently if you put me in scrubs and no make up I look very young, as in ...teenager young. Which makes some patients a bit nervous, so I wear a bit of powder and eye brow liner in the morning now.

To this day I've still never worn mascara...

Your story is the opposite of mine, MakingThe Grade! In the seventh grade, at age 12, I didn't spare the makeup! In fact, as my mother never let me forget, I carried a can of hairspray (that was the big aerosol cans in those days) in my purse when I went to school. As did all my friends. We wore mascara and eye shadow and lipstick. We had so much goop on our faces that it should have been removed with a shovel. (But I remember using only Noxema Cream. Does that still exist?) That was in the days when girls couldn't wear pants to school, and the Asssistant Principal made us kneel down to see if our skirts touched the floor. If they didn't, we got sent home!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
There are definitely women out there that are naturally very beautiful.

That being said, I think even the women who are naturally beautiful without make up, look even MORE beautiful when they have even just a little bit on.

The only person that I have ever really thought "wow, she REALLY looks better without make up on" is Kim Kardashian.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I wear some bare minerals SPF powder when I remember. That's it. I used to do more, and might for a big event, but make up is very ageing and I seem to be managing that really well on my own these days. :bigsmile:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1292079864|2794201 said:
MakingTheGrade|1292020278|2793681 said:
The first time I ever bought foundation was the summer of 2008...for my wedding. I had to learn how to do make up in a hurry for that occasion! Even then, all I had was some foundation, some matte powder, eyeliner, and lipstick and I think I looked ok.

If left to my own devices I would not wear make up, however, when I started working in the hospital last year, my peers suggested I wear more make up to work so that I would look older. Apparently if you put me in scrubs and no make up I look very young, as in ...teenager young. Which makes some patients a bit nervous, so I wear a bit of powder and eye brow liner in the morning now.

To this day I've still never worn mascara...

Your story is the opposite of mine, MakingThe Grade! In the seventh grade, at age 12, I didn't spare the makeup! In fact, as my mother never let me forget, I carried a can of hairspray (that was the big aerosol cans in those days) in my purse when I went to school. As did all my friends. We wore mascara and eye shadow and lipstick. We had so much goop on our faces that it should have been removed with a shovel. (But I remember using only Noxema Cream. Does that still exist?) That was in the days when girls couldn't wear pants to school, and the Asssistant Principal made us kneel down to see if our skirts touched the floor. If they didn't, we got sent home!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Count me in as another Noxema Cream user. Oh And I also used Bonne Bell Ten-O-Six lotion and lip smackers

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I just read all the responses (I didn't read any before I posted) and just noticed the kim kardashian picture. Im sorry, but thats just an awful picture of her. She DOES look better without make up, maybe not in that picture IMO.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Don't get me wrong. I have awful skin tone and look tonnes better with slap on.

But I just do not care enough to sacrifice even ten seconds in bed for it.

I feel a bit sorry for the ladies who just cannot be seen without make up no matter what. It seems like an emotional crutch. I know someone who cried her eyes out coz she had to go to hospital and forgot her make up bag.

Why do they feel this way? Is it not possible to face the world in your own skin without fear or anxiety? Men do it all day, everyday.

Just musing. I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rosetta|1292109166|2794490 said:

I feel a bit sorry for the ladies who just cannot be seen without make up no matter what. It seems like an emotional crutch. I know someone who cried her eyes out coz she had to go to hospital and forgot her make up bag.

Why do they feel this way? Is it not possible to face the world in your own skin without fear or anxiety? Men do it all day, everyday.

I couldn't agree more - this makes me very sad as well. I still remember meeting up with my eventually-to-be-husband and his then-GF, back when we were just friends and dating other people, on a day when my then-boyfriend's best friend had just gotten engaged. They newly engaged couple was a little ... self-absorbed, and my husband's then-GF (track those modifiers, folks!) burst into tears, apparently because she thought they were ignoring her because she wasn't all-made-up and looking her best.

I know I say this a lot, but I blame the patriarchy. A lot of pressure is applied to women to Be All That They Can Be, but on the very narrow spectrum of their appearance. I wear make-up for the same reason that I wear nice lingerie and real diamonds: it makes me feel nice, and I value my own opinion over just about anybody else's in the world. But far too many women feel disoriented and/or disarmed when they don't conform to societal expectations, and that is a damned crying shame.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't say I never wear it... but it's close. I've been wearing it more often lately... but when I wear it it is just some mascara because that one thing does more than anything else to just give my face a lift. My lashes are blonde and I kind of look like I'm in chemo without it. Not exactly but just... I wear actual face foundation type makeup about once every couple years and I only say that because I think I did a couple years ago lol If I'm going out for a special dinner or something I add some eyeliner and lipstick. But that's it. I don't do foundation and blusher and eyeshadow.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1292032692|2793890 said:
Nope, I have blonde eyebrows and blonde eyelashes and very pale pink skin (I will NOT tan myself). It kind of looks freaky seeing photos of me with no makeup :errrr: and people always ask if I'm feeling okay when I don't have makeup on :sick:

Ditto here - and I love the black sapphire mascara - it's kind of a slate charcoal blue grey color and it is perfect for daytime. I dunno about you but while I think black is okay sometimes it's too intense and brown is never right on me as there is no brown hair anywhere else, why would there be on my eyelashes? lol This color does not look blue on the lashes, it just... subtly darkens them, I'm not sure how to explain it but I highly recommend it! Since I got it I wear mascara much more often... it used to look weird with just black mascara and nothing else, but this one I can totally wear alone and look like I have no make up at all on, just no longer looking ill lol

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1292109166|2794490 said:

I'm sure a portion of it has something to do with an insecurity deep down inside. Maybe not for everyone, but for many.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1292035268|2793922 said:
Lipstick, mascara, and varying depths of eyeliner are pretty much my constants. I think the best example would be the time I got food poisoning in Venice, the night before I was supposed to fly to Sweden to meet my future in-laws. My husband-to-be slept through most of it, but awoke to find me worshipping at the alter of the porcelain goddess for, like, the 20th time. After he cooed over me and fussed, he went to take a shower. When he got out, I was shakily applying my liner.

"What are you doing?" he asked, completely aghast? "The bare minimum for self-respect," I croaked.

Look, I'm a card-carrying feminist. I may be, like, the shock trooper of the feminist movement - I'm a combative professor specializing in women's literature, for gods sake. I loathe the double standard. But, frankly, I think the answer would be for men to embrace the variety and wonder of skirts and lush fabrics, and, yes, the plenitude of decorative opportunities afforded by the cosmetics industry, not for women to eschew them. Those who are happy without them? I salute you. But given that I don't feel fully dressed unless I've got a few carats of sparklies and at least one item of velvet on me somewhere ... you'll pry my war paint out of my cold, dead hands.

A-freaking-men. I love all varieties of sparkle. Eyeshadow entertains me. I like playing with it. Even if I never leave the house, or even with my husband out of town, I'm gonna be wearing makeup. I'm a girly girl, for sure.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Another proud feminist who would never, ever, ever step out of or answer the door without her 5-minute face.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Yep. I wear very little if any. Most days I wear none. I put it on for special events, mock trials or competitions at school, etc...any time I want to look more polished. It's funny that I don't wear it more because I really do love make-up..I even sold Mary Kay temporarily. I am just usually in a hurry and/or lazy and just get dressed, put my jewelry on, and get out the door.

emilyalyse

Rough_Rock
I tend to wear a light foundation, powder, blush, and mascara. I'm pregnant and lazy at the moment though, and a lot of times, I just don't bother with the makeup, and my hair has been simply going up in a pony tail.

I feel much more "together" when I wear makeup, though... for me, it's the finishing touch to an outfit/hair/day (even though my makeup is decidedly low-key and "natural"ish, and my wardrobe is far from fashion plate and more jeans and sweaters), and it does boost my confidence when I've taken the time and effort to make myself look presentable (in my eyes).

My husband is wonderful and tells me I look beautiful either way. :love: ((I trust his judgement... he's the overly-honest type who will also point out when "those jeans make your ass look huge" or "hey! You've got a pimple!" :lol: ))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can count two times in my life that I wore makeup.

The first was when I was young and my grandmother put it on me. I don't remember what exactly she did but I do remember getting rashes. Not sure if it was from that or the perfume she used.... (Grandma didn't buy cheap stuff so this really would have been an allergic reaction to something).

The second was when we were invited to a bat mitzvah celebration. I had splattered hot oil on myself while cooking and had big blisters on my face. While I was buying a wrap I mentioned it to the sales lady and she took me over to the makeup people. They found me a liquid thing to cover my blisters with and then suggested a lipstick to complement my new wrap.
That was the first time I ever bought the stuff.

My mother never really wore much makeup. The bathroom was too small for me to watch or her to show me and she never really had the time/interest anyway. My one grandmother died and the other doesn't wear makeup (or bras...) so I guess I never really learned about this stuff. If I knew what to buy and how to use it I might wear it sometimes. Maybe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results