shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the shopping good in Kauai or should I make sure to get to Honolulu?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to Hawaii for the first time! I’d love to look at beautiful jewels, tourist attractions, and hidden only-known-to-locals special spots. Any pro tips? We are planning to go to Kauai but it seems like the bigger boutiques are in Honolulu. Maybe we take a day trip there?

Advice is very welcome!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, it’s been a while, but last time I went, Kauai was very small and not much going on (because of the natural beauty). Buildings can’t be taller than a coconut tree.

Honolulu is where it’s at for shopping. Boutiques, bustling, money.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I love Kauai. Do an excursion with Captain Andys. The Napali coast is just stunning.

Honolulu is fun for shopping if you want designer goods. I like old cuts. None to be found there.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kauai is very quiet and laid back.
There are some shopping centers with jewelry stores, heavy on the Tahitian pearls, which are very popular on the islands.
I recall high some high end jewelry stores in Princeville and Poipu.
Na Hoku is a nice store in Poipu.

Don't miss Waimea Canyon!

Last edited:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! This helps me plan! I might do a day in Honolulu. Any fave jewelry stores?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The usual suspects-VCA, Tiffany’s, Cartier…

Honestly, I’m not sure the $300 flight is worth it unless you want something specific from these brands.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Honestly, I’m not sure the $300 flight is worth it unless you want something specific from these brands.

I agree. You will waste over half a day in airports ( and rental car lines) if you want to move between islands.

Honolulu is definitely much better for shopping. But if you go to Oahu, you should stay several days to see the sights there.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

Ok. I don’t live in the US so I was wondering if it was worth it… but I’m thinking I’ll make this a relaxation trip instead of a shopping trip.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kauai is my absolute favourite island! Honolulu isnt the most amazing shopping experience (imo), but it is the best shopping of the islands. Personally that would never outweigh the total amazingness that is Kauai, not even for a day trip!

Enjoy!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Kauai is my absolute favourite island! Honolulu isnt the most amazing shopping experience (imo), but it is the best shopping of the islands. Personally that would never outweigh the total amazingness that is Kauai, not even for a day trip!

Enjoy!

So helpful to know! Thank you! What do you love about Kauai? What should I definitely eat and see?

chere

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t been to Hawaii yet but I don’t see it as a shopping destination. I would keep my eyes out for Hawaiian Obsidian (lava rock glass), maybe a paper weight, and get the hubby a Hawaiian shirt.

There are direct flights home from Honolulu for me. I would plan it as my last stop.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t been to Hawaii yet but I don’t see it as a shopping destination. I would keep my eyes out for Hawaiian Obsidian (lava rock glass), maybe a paper weight, and get the hubby a Hawaiian shirt.

There are direct flights home from Honolulu for me. I would plan it as my last stop.

Yes this is what it sounds like to me! A place to relax at the beach- not for shopping

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love Kauai. My fav island, I've been many times. Like the others have said, it's not a shopping area. There are a few jewelry stores, mostly pearls. Enjoy the beauty of the island! And book a helicopter tour!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Is this your first time in Hawaii? If so, definitely do a luau. Another idea-a day excursion with Captain Andy's and a Napali sunset cruise. I would have done both if I had had the time.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love Kauai. My fav island, I've been many times. Like the others have said, it's not a shopping area. There are a few jewelry stores, mostly pearls. Enjoy the beauty of the island! And book a helicopter tour!

Ok!! Thanks for sharing! What do you love apart from the helicopter tour? I know nothing about Hawaii!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Is this your first time in Hawaii? If so, definitely do a luau. Another idea-a day excursion with Captain Andy's and a Napali sunset cruise. I would have done both if I had had the time.

Ok!! Thank you so much for the tips! Yes my first time in Hawaii and I know nothing.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok!! Thank you so much for the tips! Yes my first time in Hawaii and I know nothing.

Might be fun to rent a car and drive around the island one day and check out Hanalei Bay-I think South Pacific was filmed there? There’s also a lighthouse. Also, eat lots of Hawaiian shave ice :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You should get a guidebook and study up on what to do and see.
It would be a shame to go all that way and miss something cool like a blowhole or a secret beach.
And you must go snorkeling. It is truly unreal to see the beautiful fish and other sea life under all that water! You may encounter the huge green sea turtles or "honu". It's really a thrilling experience.

Last edited:

llamacat

Rough_Rock
We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon.
A week each on Oahu, Kauai and Big Island.
We did Maui on a separate trip.

Out of all the islands I found Kauai to be the most relaxing. As others have said, Waimea Canyon and the Nepali coast are amazing. We also did some hiking and visited the black sand beach and the green sand beach.

We went to the Smiths Family luau on Kauai and recommend it. We went to another luau on Oahu but liked the Smiths family one much more.

Also, theres wild roosters and hens running about the island, and occasionally some pigs. Found it unusual to see roosters on the beach.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon.
A week each on Oahu, Kauai and Big Island.
We did Maui on a separate trip.

Out of all the islands I found Kauai to be the most relaxing. As others have said, Waimea Canyon and the Nepali coast are amazing. We also did some hiking and visited the black sand beach and the green sand beach.

We went to the Smiths Family luau on Kauai and recommend it. We went to another luau on Oahu but liked the Smiths family one much more.

Also, theres wild roosters and hens running about the island, and occasionally some pigs. Found it unusual to see roosters on the beach.

OMG, you make me wanna go back right now!
The chickens were everywhere!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone! Great idea to pick up a guidebook :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! Great idea to pick up a guidebook :)

How exciting! Have you packed your holiday wardrobes yet? The new skirt would be great fun for a romantic stroll down to the beach…just saying.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! Have you packed your holiday wardrobes yet? The new skirt would be great fun for a romantic stroll down to the beach…just saying.

Ooo good to know!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Echo what everyone has said - Kauai is definitely the island for relaxing, gorgeous natural views, and roosters :lol-2: the Na Pali coast has the most amazing views whether you go up on small hike or take a helicopter tour. Lots of waterfalls to see too. My husband and I spent about a week in Hawaii with stops on the Big Island (main thing to see there is the Volcano National Park), short stay in Honolulu where we met up with my aunt who was also vacationing there, then Kauai. Kauai was our favorite by far.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kauai is my favorite island also, but it’s early to bed with no nightlife. It’s the place to snorkel, see the Hawaiian grand canyon and have beach days.

We did a four wheeler tour in old koala town where it was the Jurassic park scenery. It lasted 3-4 hours and was awesome.

If you like Kauai, you are supposed to tell your friends to go to Maui.

Kauai is special.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results