Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-37611512

A New York pharmacy has been on the receiving end of a backlash after announcing a new store policy that "all male customers are subject to a 7% Man Tax".

The unofficial levy was announced in the window of Thompson Chemists in the Soho district of Manhattan on Monday, alongside another sign declaring that "all female customers shop tax free".

The move has triggered a passionate debate on Reddit and Facebook, fuelled by an image of the independent shop's window, which has been viewed several hundred thousand times on the photo sharing site Imgur.
An employee of Thompson Chemists confirmed to BBC Trending that the new policy was to highlight instances of gender pricing discrepancy.

It follows a study conducted by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs which found that on average "women's products cost 7% more than similar products for men." The gender price gap was even greater when it came to adult clothes and personal care products.

The pharmacy's owner Jolie Alony told the Gothamist website that the man tax was a way of drawing attention to that. "We want to bring awareness on how it feels to be a woman, so the men actually get to feel it," she said.

screen_shot_2016-10-12_at_9.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting...hmmm...I think it's good to bring awareness to the subject but it's the companies that are doing the charging that
need to be penalized...not men. Maybe they should spend the extra 7% on advertising to let women know that they should be
boycotting companies/items that have a "women" upcharge...or letting the women know when they should just buy the guy version
of something because it's the same thing except color.

If I was a guy I'm not sure if I would be happy about it because unless that guy is high up in a company that does "women" upcharging
then how is it the guys fault? Maybe the pharmacy needs to let the guys know how they can help because I know the pharmacy
is just trying to make a point. Perhaps let the guys know what companies they should boycott. That's the only way I know to get a
companies attention.

Edit...I guess my answer is "other" because it depends what they are doing with the 7%.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results