shape
carat
color
clarity

is professional makeup worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Andi

Rough_Rock
Hello all, i hope you can be of help,

Ive been thinking about this and its driving me crazy, i am going to get hair styles done for the bridesmaids and myself but cant decide about makeup. im trying to keep to a budget and am looking at nearly $600 to get hair and makeup done for us all, but only half the cost if i just do hair for everyone and only makeup for myself.
What would you suggest i do?
35.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
It really just depends on your budget and your priorities.

Even though I''ve never really ventured beyond mascara, lipstick, and eyeliner, I''ve decided to learn how to do my makeup and do it myself for my wedding. I just felt that it''s something I should be able to do anyways, and if I''m going to spend, say, $150 on makeup I might as well go to Sephora and talk to them about makeup products and application, buy what I need, and then practice putting it on. Then I''m not paying for makeup for one day, but for many many applications.

I also feel a need to wash everything off of my face after some people do my makeup (the people who just cake on foundation and stuff), and thought it was safer just to play around and do my own. I''m sure that a trial would reduce the chance of that happening though.

I''m sure that other ladies are really looking forward to or have enjoyed getting someone to do theirs professionally. It would be a nice way to relax and pamper yourself before your wedding.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
We found a Mary Kay consultant who came over before the wedding and did make up trials at no cost. On the day of the wedding, she charged us $100 for the bride and $50 for each bridesmaid, which my mother graciously paid for. Still, the cost was very reasonable for the whole affair.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you are comfortable that your girls can do a nice job themselves, you can just have your own done. While it is a lovely gesture to do it for the girls, it is not really necessary, and some people do a good job on their own makeup and do not want to have someone else doing theirs. If budget really is an issue, then as the bride it is for you to get yours done and not worry about the others, though again, if you could do it, it certainly would have been nice.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think mine was $45 so to me it was worth it. If you love the way you do your own make-up than go for it. I really didn''t want to worry about it.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i paid for hair for myself and maid of honor (my only bridal party) and makeup for myself only.

i typically don''t wear makeup so i definitely wanted someone to do mine. i had contemplated buying makeup at mac and learning how to apply it, but in the end i just didn''t want to worry about it on the morning of the wedding. i did have a trial of both hair and makeup which i would recommend. the stylist had taken pictures and made the adjustments i wanted. i was very happy on my wedding day.

can you ask your bridesmaids what they would prefer?

Miss Andi

Rough_Rock
I could ask them what they prefer but am trying to decide whether i can afford to pay for them or not first. im buying they''re dresses and getting their hair done, and just wandering if i should get makeup done for them too.
my bridesmaids arent really swimming in cash and will probably say that they can do their own but then comes the question of will that look good in the photos?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
My BMs paid for their dresses and their hair. Makeup was available at the salon if they wanted it, but two of them just did their own makeup and my MOH never wears makeup anyway. Everyone looked absolutely just fine in the pictures.

I paid for professional makeup even though I do my own everyday. I wanted to look as perfect as possible, and I didn''t want the stress of doing it myself on the day of the wedding. Plus, the professionals know just how much to put of blush, etc. to make it show up in pictures, etc. Well worth my $$!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
haven't read through everyone's comments but here's what I'll be doing.

I am getting my make-up professionally done for the wedding, and it will cost a pretty penny but I am very confident that my make-up artist will help in making me a beautiful bride. Could I do my own make-up? Probablly yes, but for my wedding day I want the "pampered" feel of having my make-up professionally done as well as my hair. Plus, I know she'll do a much better job than I can. So, IMO it's TOTALLY worth it!

I haven't made a final decision about the BM's yet. What I would like is for them to get their hair professionally done, and then I trust them to do their own make-up.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
i am getting married on a sunday at a lake-resort (thus a lot of salons are not open and not close by) and i worried about this---even though my sister is talented with her own make-up i was worried about her doing mine (i really wanted an expert) so after calling many salons who said no, we''re not open sunday, I ended up finding a great professional make-up artist who does lessons for $85/hr. She''s going to teach my sister, we can come back and practice as many times as we want (for no cost) and hopefully i ''ll get a near-professional looking face on my wedding day;-)

E B

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely think it''s worth it. I never wear makeup (only mascara on some occasions) and my skills are lacking. With my hair and makeup lady ($95 if I come to her, $120 if she comes to me), I don''t have to worry about if I look fabulous for pictures or not.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to waste alot of time getting ready before the wedding, so I''m not going to have professional hair or makeup that day. But I know my abilities are not equal to looking good for the camera, so I''m going to haive trial/lessons beforehand.
I don''t have any BM''s but if I did and how they look in photos was important to me then I''d pay for professional makeup for them too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results