shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Paula Deen getting what she deserves?

Is Paula Deen getting what she deserves?

• She is being punished too harshly.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • The punishment is just right.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • She should be punished more harshly.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1372389369|3473565 said:
kenny|1372389027|3473563 said:
Niel|1372388796|3473559 said:
Ashe was until today a spokeswoman for a diabetes drug. Isn't that quite the conflict of interest?

Perhaps the pharmaceutical company feels that many customers for their diabetes drug relate to her.

Oh no doubt that's why they chose her, but if people actually eat the way she cooks, she's essentially profiting off the food that leads to diabetes and then the treatment of it.

BINGO!!!
A Win Win!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1372389369|3473565 said:
kenny|1372389027|3473563 said:
Niel|1372388796|3473559 said:
Ashe was until today a spokeswoman for a diabetes drug. Isn't that quite the conflict of interest?

Perhaps the pharmaceutical company feels that many customers for their diabetes drug relate to her.

Oh no doubt that's why they chose her, but if people actually eat the way she cooks, she's essentially profiting off the food that leads to diabetes and then the treatment of it.

Yes, she faced a lot of backlash for that, because she found out she had diabetes but kept promoting her unhealthy food for months until the diabetes campaign contract had been finalized.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I thought that these things were merely allegations as yet? About her treatment of the employee and the wedding issue? If the allegations are as yet unproven then it's a witch hunt and yes she is being treated too harshly. I thought we were all innocent until a jury pronounces you guilty. If the allegations are true then it's totally appalling and I wouldn't blame the companies for dropping her. But right now, isn't it a he-said/she-said situation? I guess it will go to court.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm just glad Paula Deen is no longer on TV. I never could stand her and the whole diabetes issue just made it worse.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1372398587|3473594 said:
I thought that these things were merely allegations as yet? About her treatment of the employee and the wedding issue? If the allegations are as yet unproven then it's a witch hunt and yes she is being treated too harshly. I thought we were all innocent until a jury pronounces you guilty. If the allegations are true then it's totally appalling and I wouldn't blame the companies for dropping her. But right now, isn't it a he-said/she-said situation? I guess it will go to court.

There is a lawsuit in which a former employee is suing her for discrimination etc.

For this lawsuit Deen was deposed in front of lawyers.
All that has happened to her is a reaction to what she said in her deposition, not a reaction to allegations of the trial.
Additionally she's said things on Youtube and gave a damaging interview on the Today show since her deposition was made public, and that is what the public is reacting to ... not to the allegations that are the subject of that employment trial.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just clarifying, TC: are you implying that that some black people do indeed merit that noxious and outdated epithet?

If so, I'll just state the obvious here, and call bull-pucky. If not, you might want to re-articulate your position, as your statement gives that impression.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Once Paula Deen admitted to using words that are associated with racism in the deposition, her legal case was weakened.

If you read the case against her company, if true, this woman makes a good case. Paula Deens brother seems to be the cause of problems in the workplace, but the company appears to have not insisted he change his ways. In fact, they, including Paula Deen, repeatedly ignored requests and complaints that the company help stop the behavior.

I think that once you hear/read her deposition testimony, and look at the lawsuit, you might want to get as far away from this lawsuit as possible. If the lawsuit complaints are valid, Paula Deen would be a goner anyway. (IMO)

Annette

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To anyone who has commented on this thread and hasn't read the actual complaint, please, go read it. I think that the media has mislead a lot of people.

She was sexist (against WOMEN!), racist, and a totally irresponsible business owner.

I really hope you all read the racism portion of this document. These things happened from 2007 on...not 30 years ago and they are APPALLING! It starts on page 14.

Her actual comments about the wedding:

"Well, what I would really like is a bunch of little 'n-words' to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts, and black bow-ties, you know like in the Shirley Temple Days, they used to tap dance around. Now that would be a true southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

Then she went on to say she couldn't do it because the media would be on her. Not because she knew it was wrong, but because the media would be on her!

Her restaurants made African-American people use a back entrance for all purposes!

Her restaurants made African-American people use only one specific bathroom!

There is more, much more....please, read it.

I don't think she's being treated too harshly.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jesus Christ, this thread is disturbing.

Paula Deen is a racist idiot and deserves what she gets and then some. Her statements are breathtakingly offensive. Why in the world would a company in this day and age stand by her? This is someone who says on national television that her African-American employee is "black as a board", and says "We can’t see you standing in front of that dark board!" http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...fend-slavery-2012-interview-article-1.1379912

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1372428302|3473664 said:
Just clarifying, TC: are you implying that that some black people do indeed merit that noxious and outdated epithet?

If so, I'll just state the obvious here, and call bull-pucky. If not, you might want to re-articulate your position, as your statement gives that impression.

Yeah I'm not even going to quote that post, because it's so disgusting and offensive I'm going to hope it gets deleted.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1372435103|3473733 said:
Circe|1372428302|3473664 said:

Yeah I'm not even going to quote that post, because it's so disgusting and offensive I'm going to hope it gets deleted.

I am in COMPLETE agreement!!!!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that this situation has really made me think. Many people (not on this board, just out in the universe) have said that she's being treated too harshly because "everyone has said it at some point" which made me really, REALLY think about it and I have to say, I'm 99.99999% positive I haven't ever said the "N" word. I've sung along to rap songs that have the "-igga" variation but I've never said the "real" word.

I'm not overly PC. I say "black" and "white", not "African American" and "Caucasian". I figure if that's what my black friends prefer to be called, that's what I'll call them. I'm also not claiming to be perfect and that I never say anything derogatory of anyone, because that would be a lie, but I do know I haven't said that word, and to be living in this day and age and still using it or thinking about black people that way is just ignorant.

And TC's post.... Just wrong.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1372434955|3473731 said:

Paula Deen is a racist idiot and deserves what she gets and then some. Her statements are breathtakingly offensive. Why in the world would a company in this day and age stand by her? This is someone who says on national television that her African-American employee is "black as a board", and says "We can’t see you standing in front of that dark board!" http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...fend-slavery-2012-interview-article-1.1379912

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over![/quo

I wonder if you considered there are those who would be offended by the first two words you used in your post. Many Christians feel they are the objects of discrimination.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to devalue your opinion, so I hope you know I'm not trying to argue :)) but how are Christians being discriminated against exactly? Take saying JC.... it may be offensive to you, like saying the B word, but it is not a derogatory term directed at you, you know?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
crown1|1372437872|3473764 said:
thing2of2|1372434955|3473731 said:

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over![/quo

I wonder if you considered there are those who would be offended by the first two words you used in your post. Many Christians feel they are the objects of discrimination.

Well that's a laugh riot of a red herring!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While I am not so naive as to think racism was a thing of the past in this country, I am actually surprised at the comments I've read online this week regarding both the Paula Deen issue and the Zimmerman trial. Comments like TC's that practically invite you to remove the word "people" in her fifth sentence and replace it with the n-word. Comments (not here) about the young woman who testified earlier this week at Zimmerman's trial. Black, fat and possibly illiterate, she is being skewered by complete strangers as if SHE was the one who committed a crime when all she did was happen to be the last person Trayvon Martin spoke to before he was killed.

I'm not surprised about what people think, but that they're putting it out there and aren't even being called on it. I read pure hateful vitriol about this woman on a regular news site (not a far left or far right one) and it wasn't taken down even though the site clearly stated its code of conduct policy. I don't know, maybe it's a good thing to have people's racist views bubble up to the surface for all to see so that people like me can't be lulled into thinking that it's only a problem in certain places like the Deep South.

Anyway, back to Paula. From what I've read, the woman started an enormously successful catering and later restaurant enterprise with an initial investment of only $200. She'll still have that; I'm sure her supporters will continue to line up to be seated at her restaurant. All the rest, be it her TV show, mundane products that happen to have her name slapped on them, or diabetes drugs, came from her celebrity. Celebrity is a fickle thing. Target will have no problem finding someone else's name with which to brand their teflon pots and pans sets. I don't see it as punishment; she's just ending a long ride that most popular cooks will never be lucky enough to experience.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Crown1 ... A) that derails the current discussion, B), if it's meant to draw a parallel between black people actually being discriminated against and Christians feeling discriminated against, it's a false equivalency, and, C), any member of a majority group that feels discriminated against either has poor logic skills, an incorrect definition of what the word "discrimination" means, or a massive entitlement complex.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1372440600|3473790 said:
Crown1 ... A) that derails the current discussion, B), if it's meant to draw a parallel between black people actually being discriminated against and Christians feeling discriminated against, it's a false equivalency, and, C), any member of a majority group that feels discriminated against either has poor logic skills, an incorrect definition of what the word "discrimination" means, or a massive entitlement complex.

:appl:

I felt a little bad commenting as it opens up a can of worms, completely changing the topic of the thread...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel said:

Yeah, me too, this is why I'm crap in debates (though freakishly good as a copy-editor) ... I just can't let any little thing go. Anyway, back to Paula Deen, the woman of the hour ....

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry. I hope that posting Paula's actual comments didn't hurt or offend anyone.

I was just trying to shed real light on this thread. I couldn't, for the life of me, see why anyone would defend her after seeing what she's said and done.

Once again, I'm sorry for being so blunt and shocking.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

PREACH

princesss

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1372442125|3473810 said:
I'm sorry. I hope that posting Paula's actual comments didn't hurt or offend anyone.

I was just trying to shed real light on this thread. I couldn't, for the life of me, see why anyone would defend her after seeing what she's said and done.

Once again, I'm sorry for being so blunt and shocking.

You were trying to show people the reason this thread was started to let them make their own opinions on the situation instead of relying on the cry that it's "one thing she said 30 years ago!" I'm glad you posted it.

As for the rest...oh boy. Circe has been handling several comments lately with a grace I can only aspire to.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
To borrow a phrase: You reap what you sow.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1372444921|3473850 said:
To borrow a phrase: You reap what you sow.

Yep. That actually sums it up perfectly.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think being raised in the south is an excuse... my 95 year old grandmother was raised in the south, on a friggin plantation where some of the older workers had formerly been slaves of her grandfather, and SHE manages to not say racist things. I see all sorts of people defending Paula Deen and saying she's too old to know better but... really? My parents are in their 60s and would probably die before saying something so obscenely bigoted. My 95 year old grandmother not only knows better, but speaks out against anyone in the old folks home who she hears saying racist things.

I am heartened to see that many people are not letting Paula Deen go along with thinking her comments were harmless. You know what, even if companies are dumping her because it affects their bottom line, that to me is heartening because it means there are enough people who don't want to buy from a racist.

Re: concerns that it is too PC - the problem with racism and sexism now is that most of what is left is subtle, but those subtle thoughts and comments that don't look like outright oppression have big, big effects.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1372381847|3473497 said:
My own personal thoughts are, we are too scream-y as a whole. It reminds me of South Park and the "rabble rabble rabble" people in the background. We are to the point where we need to make a flow chart on what words we can say, when we can say them, who is allowed to say them, in what context, around what people, depending on how much humidity is in the air, the position of the stars, our geographical location and our proximity to Venus.

If it's not ok, it's NOT ****ING OK. That doesn't mean it's ok for some, but not for others. It's ok for black people to say, is that what the whole point is? Um, no. So, it's ok for me to call someone a bitch, b/c I'm a female? Or, b/c I *AM* a bitch? Or, the *C* word, b/c if you want to get technical, I HAVE ONE. GAWD. It's ok for Kenny (sorry Kenny) to call someone a fag but a straight person can't? Is it right that she said it? No. Of course not. Is it on the same level as if she were a known child trafficker, selling small children into the sex trade? Is there a graveyard of boys under her porch and she regularly dresses as a clown? No. Let's not put it in the same category, please.

My brother brought a girl to meet my grandparents. At the end of the visit, my gramma told him "Well, at least she's not a black". Does that make my gramma on the same wavelength of those in white sheets?

I tried to look thru that complaint but holy cow, this was that and then that happened and while that was going on this did but then this other thing was w/this other company but then later at this company. So I still don't know everything that happened. All's I know is she said the N word and apparently some guy that worked for her was a chauvinist prig?

Words hurt. I *get* that. But we keep harping and harping and harping and digging and pointing fingers and rehashing. How are we going to move FORWARD and RISE ABOVE? Never, b/c our country as a whole, enjoys shit like this. We do. We LIKE to sit around and wring our hands and gnash our teeth about every single thing that offends us or that we think should offend us or might start offending us or maybe used to offend us and we like to make a big deal about everything, and while we're doing that we fail to remember that we're all HUMAN we all make MISTAKES and there isn't a one of us on the face of the planet who can throw stones or claim to be the embodiment of all that is good and wonderful and glittery and rainbow in the world.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I bow down to you and if you ever run for any political office regardless of party I'm voting for you Circe! Nuff said! :geek:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1372446811|3473864 said:
My own personal thoughts are, we are too scream-y as a whole. It reminds me of South Park and the "rabble rabble rabble" people in the background. We are to the point where we need to make a flow chart on what words we can say, when we can say them, who is allowed to say them, in what context, around what people, depending on how much humidity is in the air, the position of the stars, our geographical location and our proximity to Venus.

If it's not ok, it's NOT ****ING OK. That doesn't mean it's ok for some, but not for others. It's ok for black people to say, is that what the whole point is? Um, no. So, it's ok for me to call someone a bitch, b/c I'm a female? Or, b/c I *AM* a bitch? Or, the *C* word, b/c if you want to get technical, I HAVE ONE. GAWD. It's ok for Kenny (sorry Kenny) to call someone a fag but a straight person can't? Is it right that she said it? No. Of course not. Is it on the same level as if she were a known child trafficker, selling small children into the sex trade? Is there a graveyard of boys under her porch and she regularly dresses as a clown? No. Let's not put it in the same category, please.

My brother brought a girl to meet my grandparents. At the end of the visit, my gramma told him "Well, at least she's not a black". Does that make my gramma on the same wavelength of those in white sheets?

I tried to look thru that complaint but holy cow, this was that and then that happened and while that was going on this did but then this other thing was w/this other company but then later at this company. So I still don't know everything that happened. All's I know is she said the N word and apparently some guy that worked for her was a chauvinist prig?

Words hurt. I *get* that. But we keep harping and harping and harping and digging and pointing fingers and rehashing. How are we going to move FORWARD and RISE ABOVE? Never, b/c our country as a whole, enjoys shit like this. We do. We LIKE to sit around and wring our hands and gnash our teeth about every single thing that offends us or that we think should offend us or might start offending us or maybe used to offend us and we like to make a big deal about everything, and while we're doing that we fail to remember that we're all HUMAN we all make MISTAKES and there isn't a one of us on the face of the planet who can throw stones or claim to be the embodiment of all that is good and wonderful and glittery and rainbow in the world.

If you still don't know what happened, you should go back and actually read through the complaint.

We rise when people like Paula Deen stop trying to revisit plantation weddings and stop using racial slurs. We rise when we condemn those people that keep harping on times that have passed. We do not rise over it by ignoring racism and turning a blind eye to it.

If your grandma says, "At least she's not black," that makes her sound pretty racist. Why is it a question of wavelength? There is no question of wavelength. Racism is wrong. Quiet racism, loud racism, violent racism--it is all wrong. Racism isn't an accidental, little human mistake. Its not the time someone tripped over a crack in the pavement. Its intentionally, thoughtfully, destructive. They're not just words. Racism is the reason we had slavery, the reason we had Jim Crow, and the reason we have Paula Deen wishing she might have a plantation wedding. Racism isn't just about words. Its the reason why people of color are more likely to be disadvantaged in everything from education to wages--its time to change that.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1372448234|3473879 said:
momhappy|1372446811|3473864 said:

If you still don't know what happened, you should go back and actually read through the complaint.

We rise when people like Paula Deen stop trying to revisit plantation weddings and stop using racial slurs. We rise when we condemn those people that keep harping on times that have passed. We do not rise over it by ignoring racism and turning a blind eye to it.

If your grandma says, "At least she's not black," that makes her sound pretty racist. Why is it a question of wavelength? There is no question of wavelength. Racism is wrong. Quiet racism, loud racism, violent racism--it is all wrong. Racism isn't an accidental, little human mistake. Its not the time someone tripped over a crack in the pavement. Its intentionally, thoughtfully, destructive. They're not just words. Racism is the reason we had slavery, the reason we had Jim Crow, and the reason we have Paula Deen wishing she might have a plantation wedding. Racism isn't just about words. Its the reason why people of color are more likely to be disadvantaged in everything from education to wages--its time to change that.

Well said-I could not agree more. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
IndyLady|1372448234|3473879 said:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Oh, and just to add two things that came up over the course of discussion and stuck in my head ....

... as an aside to the various expressions of disbelief concerning the existence of people who've never said "nigger" - I've said it. When I'm, a) teaching Mark Twain or another still-relevant author from a time when it was in common usage, or, b) quoting a racist. I have not, however, ever felt the urge to call another person by that word, to their face or when speaking about them. On the other hand, I *have* used words that I'm pretty sure are going to be considered universally defamatory in the near future - when I was a kid on the playground, calling somebody a spaz was no big deal, but when I had the etymology explained to me by a British friend, man, I felt like a twerp. And then I made a mental note not to do it again. I did not, on the other hand, feel the need to get defensive about it on behalf of my twerp-y former self or any still-extant exemplars of twerpitude operating under the same banner of ignorance. I've never understood that particular knee-jerk reaction.

And as an aside concerning the issue of reclaiming language and the "double standard" on who can use what language without being offensive ... no pun intended, but it's not that black-and-white. Context is everything. Some words have been/are being successfully reclaimed: I've taught classes in Queer Theory and as far as I know, nobody has been uncomfortable, because it's been used with good intentions as a convenient catch-all for LGBTQ for long enough to take the edge off it in that setting; on the other hand, if I was walking with a friend and somebody shouted the same word aggressively, I'd assume they had less-than-friendly intentions towards us. Context is EVERYTHING. Why is that so hard to grasp?

P.S. - Princess, thanks. Wish we had a less-chagrined, more-flattered blushing icon .... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results