shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ootthibo

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about this. I have been engaged before. My ex bought me a pear shaped diamond (that is by far my favorite shape). Now, my new boyfriend and I are looking for a ring, and I want a pear again. Do you think it is wierd or wrong? I ask this because my boyfriend knew me when I was priorly engaged (so he is familiar with the ring).

Here is the diamond we are looking at. Please comment on whether you think it will be a nice ring (and if it will look big or small for its size).

Pear shaped 1.56 carats

9.69 x 6.60 x 4.02
depth: 60.8
height: 16
depth: 39
girdle: medium to thick faceted
polish: good
symmetry: good
cutlet: none
clarity: VS2
Color: E

THANKS!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/15/2004 11:44:29 PM ootthibo wrote:

I want a pear again. Do you think it is wierd or wrong?
Please comment on whether you think it will be a nice ring (and if it will look big or small for its size).

Why would you think it is wierd or wrong? If you like pear shapes, then get a pear shape. It shouldn't matter whether you have had one before.

As for its size, the Stuller MM to Carat Stone Conversion chart says that an 1.50 ct pear should be about 9 x 6 mm so your stone is right in there.

The length to width ratio (1.47) is very slightly outside the trade preferences of 1.50 to 1.75. For comparison, mine is 1.63 which is right smack in the middle. Again it is preference, some like them on the "fat" side while some like slightly longer ones.

Since you had a pear before, you already know about "shape appeal" ... a pleasing teardrop shape.

Over 99% of PS members have round brilliants, so you might say that you and I are "odd ducks". But there is nothing wrong with liking a pear shape.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
You should absolultely get what you like. Get a very different setting, and enjoy your beautiful ring! I just love pears.

ootthibo

Rough_Rock
I don't know if this is rude cflutist but how big is the diamond in your picture. I am trying to maximize size and quality and this the diamond I listed is about as high as we can go (for now...I already told my boyfriend that I would love to be able to upgrade for our 20th anniversary). I'm in school and hes planning on going back in the fall so we don't have all the money in the world.

The reason I thought it might be weird is b/c we all worked together and I broke up with my prior boyfriend to get with the current one. It was a big terrible mess (my ex and I were high school sweethearts and had been together for seven years...but it was destined for failure from the beginning).

I love pears too. They are by far the most rare stone (I hardly ever see anyone with a pear stone and I think that might be part of the reason I like it so much).

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the diamond color poll right now, you will notice that most PS members have G, H, or I stones. So an "E" color is a very fine stone. A VS2 in clarity is also nice since most have SI1-SI2 stones. They do say that fancy shapes show color more than RBs.

To answer your question (and no I don't think it is rude to ask since this is a diamond education website), I have a 3.01 ct F-SI1. I picked this combination of color/clarity because "F" was still in the colorless range, and SI1 is a good value for the money (eye clean in my case, without the premium of VVS, VS stones).

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
And if you want to see some more pics of her pear and maybe read our engagement story, look here....

We had ex's involved too...

I second cflutists words - get what you want! Your e-ring is special and unique to your and your beloved other. Don't worry about anyone elses opinion.

love.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Get what you like and enjoy it.
1.gif

cflutist has provided excellent advice. Although I am one of the 99% who ended up with an RB, I love pears as well. The Pear is actually a very sexy , feminine shape, like a woman's body lines, in my humble opinion.
2.gif
If I ever get another single stone item, I'd pick a pear.
1.gif

ootthibo

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! And I must say websailor your a wonderful man. After reading your wedding story I was very touched! And cflutist, your a lucky woman...I would die to walk around with a ring like that on my finger.

I'm waiting though....1.5 is good enough for me right now. Its the man thats giving it to me that means the most anyway. The bigger ring can come later when we both finish school.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely get what you like and will be most comfortable wearing for a long time. After all, if you were previously engaged with a round diamond and then got engaged again later with another round diamond, no one would think anything of it (I suppose because round is so common). It should not be any different with any other shape IMO.

Good luck and don't forget to post some pics!
9.gif

DiamondLil

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/16/2004 10:24:37 AM Jennifer5973 wrote:

The Pear is actually a very sexy , feminine shape, like a woman's body lines, in my humble opinion.
2.gif
---------------

LOL Jenn, except my body type is more like an apple
15.gif
which makes clothes buying very difficult.
2.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
ootthibo,

I agree with the others about getting the shape you really like. It shouldn't matter what shape you had for the other engagement, that is in the past and you are moving forward!
2.gif

cflutist, I think your pear is the one that has converted me! You mentioned Stuller MM conversion, where can this be found? Do you have a book, or is it available on the internet?
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is out of a Stuller catalog (hardcopy). I had posted it before here

Sorry, I had defaced that copy. If you need a clean copy, please let me know and I will ask websailor to scan it since I just received a new catalog yesterday.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's definitely not weird or wrong to want another pear.

If you had a round the first time around would you wonder if it was weird to get a round again? Probably not since they are considered the norm for most e-rings. So if you like a pear, get a pear! It will not be the same stone, not remotely close.

You can also make it really yours by doing some research first and finding out what you really want by being very involved. As well as selecting a different setting or something unusual or having somethign made custom. Then it takes on a whole new life. Cut makes a huge difference too. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results