shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth paying more for platinum??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anniediamond

Rough_Rock
I don''t wear yellow gold at all anymore. Just wondered if the experts out there can tell me if it''s worth paying so much more for platinum, or will white gold be just as good?

--Annie

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Annie:

Over time white gold does tend to lose its luster. Remember that gold starts off yellow - to make it white, white alloys, such as nickel, are added. To keep white gold white, it is often necessary to rhodium plate it over time.

Platinum is much more brilliant, and is also stronger than white gold.

Some people have commented that platinum scratches more easily. Both metals scratch over time.

Platinum gets my vote!!!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I've had problems in the past with my skin reacting to metals in cheaper watches. Given that platinum is less reactive, I'd be inclined to go in that direction. Lesley addressed everything else that I could think of.
1.gif

PunkyB

Rough_Rock
Annie,
You're probably the only one that can determine if it is worth it to you or not, but in my (limited) experience, it is worth it! I have always worn white gold, and recently received my platinum engagement ring. It is definitely brighter/shinier than my white gold rings. My white gold rings look a little yellowish next to the platinum (I have never had the white gold rings plated).
I really love the bright, white, clean look of platinum. You should go to a local jewelry store and look at both white gold and platinum settings, and see if you really prefer one over the other. While the platinum is more expensive than gold, I think it is worth it for the added beauty and durability.
It's totally up to your personal preference. I don't think you're going to go wrong with either one.
Punky
1.gif

anniediamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks PunkyB. I love the look of the platinum that I've seen on some of my friends rings. Also, it's so much heavier. I've been looking and trying on some in jewelry shops around town just to help me get ideas. I know that both will scratch, but I will be careful to avoid that, if possible. I'm finding that the fun is in the search. Pricescope is somewhat addictive too!

--Annie

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
After breaking a prong that resulted in loosing a stone, having prongs bend out of shape that I had to have straightened, and a bout with contact dermatitis on my hands, I went to platinum for rings. Plat is heavier and more durable for rings. Earrings and other jewelry don't get dinged like rings do. It's hypo-allergenic so no more dermatitis. And I have a plat head so no more having to get prongs straightened or worry about one breaking. It costs more up front, but you don't have to "maintain" it with rhodium plating, and you don't have the other worries that come with gold. Also, plat is whiter than white gold. Just sit the two side by side and you'll see the difference.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results