shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So, I got an email from David''s Bridal saying they''re having a $99 gown sale. I''m not really feeling like wedding dress shopping yet but wonder if I should pass up the sale. Does anyone know how often they have these sales? Since the wedding isn''t until summer, is it too soon to shop? I would like to lose weight by that point also.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
It''s not too soon to shop, but those sales are pretty frequent, I think. It seems they''re always having a big sale.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my dress 14 months in advance from David''s. I think they always have some sort of sale or at least once a month (mine was on sale and I didn''t even though they were having one). It doesn''t hurt to look but you still have time as well!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 2:33:41 PM
Author:dixie94
So, I got an email from David''s Bridal saying they''re having a $99 gown sale. I''m not really feeling like wedding dress shopping yet but wonder if I should pass up the sale. Does anyone know how often they have these sales? Since the wedding isn''t until summer, is it too soon to shop? I would like to lose weight by that point also.
No, it''s not too soon! In fact, you need to get moving!

I didn''t realize how long it can take for a dress to come in, so I wasn''t in a hurry. I went dress shopping in the end of January mainly to appease a friend who was anxious to begin shopping, and found out then that if I didn''t get something ordered soon, I might not have anything in time for my July wedding!

No time like the present! If you''re successful with the weight loss goal, that won''t pose a problem because you won''t begin alterations until 6 weeks or so prior to the wedding, so no worries.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I agree its not too soon! If the dress needs to be ordered, it can take a long time to come in. I ordered my dress the end of January and was told it should be in no later than May. It got held up in customs and didnt come in until June, leaving me just over 6 weeks for alterations.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I had NO idea the process took so long. I figured a few months at the most. I think I'll focus on location and then go ahead and start looking. This is actually the one area that I'm not thrilled about. I really want to lose weight first, and I'm worried about those darned dress sizes.

ETA: Aljd, I think you're right. I can always get something altered but trying on dresses now almost makes me cringe! Guess I better get exercising!!

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
I saw the David''s bridal $99 sale too but I decided to wait.... I also want to lose few (10-12 pounds) before I buy my dress. I don''t want to have to pay to have to taken in, you know? I think they have that sale several times a year. My wedding isn''t until 11/2/07 though....

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not too soon, especially if you can get a dress at a bargain price! Get a corset-style dress (lace-up back) so that it can be moulded to your body if you lose weight, and you won''t need to have any alterations done :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, it''s not too early. It really does depend, though, on whether the dress needs to be ordered and then altered. I was lucky in finding an a-line dress that did not have to be altered off the rack...I found it in Feb. and our wedding was in September. About a week before the wedding, I got some weird flu/cold bug and lost about 7 lbs, and the night before the big day my mother had to take in the side seams a bit (thank God she knows how to sew, lol!) I''m 5''10", though, so did not need hemming and all that jazz, also have a smaller bust and all I had to do to fill out the boned bodice was find the right strapless bra (and fill it up with some "cookies" hee hee).

As far as the corset back...I''m on the fence about that look. If you''re going strapless for sure, don''t want to mess too much with alterations or worry that you''ll lose/gain weight, it''s a plus. However, I have an itsy bitsy teeny bit of an issue over the fact that I think it looks like lingerie and not as fitted, pretty bridal as a gown should look IMO.
2.gif
Hopefully I don''t offend anyone with my logic or opinion...just my .02. Probably the same ideal as covering your shoulders (as a bride or BM) in church. Sort of a personal preference, so don''t mind me, I''m kind of thinking out loud here.

Don''t feel pressured, though, to find the perfect dress in one weekend, one week, one month, etc. And my best advice: go in with a set budget, and do NOT look at anything or try on anything which is over your budget. My parents gave me a budget of $1,000 after alterations, shoes, etc., and when I went shopping with my mom and BM''s, we didn''t even sk to see anything that would put me over that amount. I''m glad I didn''t see anything over that, in the end...it just would''ve been too hard to look at my actual dress and think "what if?" Kind of like rings, lol!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Wolftress, thanks for the suggestion about the corset style dress. I will try some of those when I go.

Monarch, I tend to agree w/you about the corset style dress but since I''ve never tried any, I won''t rule them out quite yet. I think your idea about going in w/a set price and not seeing anything over that is fantastic! Knowing me, I would definitely fall in love w/something over my price range and then be disappointed so that rules out that possibility. And I feel confident that I can find something in my range, given everything I''ve seen on websites so far. I just hope at least one of them looks good on ME!

I still haven''t figured out location yet so I''m still waiting but I''m hoping to start dress shopping in Feb. I''m getting a little more excited about it.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
it is not too soon, you definitely have to get moving, it''s probably already too late to order most designer gowns unless you pay for a rush order, get on it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results