shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it safe to put this ring in the ultrasonic?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently bought this and love it but the smaller diamonds I expect will be hard to keep clean because of the angle they are set at.

IMG_7117.JPG

So I was wondering if it would be safe to put this in the ultrasonic or no because of this small diamonds? Here is a mediocre shot of the diamonds I'm talking about:
IMG_7133.JPG

Thanks in advance!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not do it.
I'm not even going to put "Stephanie Lynn" in the ultrasonic.
It's a great tool, but the vibrations may be too much for the delicate settings of antique rings.
I recently bought a really cruddy cluster ring from a pawn shop. My ultrasonic did such a great job, that one of the stones was spinning in it's mounting afterward. I took it to my bench and tightened it, so not a big deal. I think the stone was kinda glued in by the grime, and when the grime was gone, the stone loosened.

Have you tried a tiny paint brush? That should work nicely in cleaning that side area.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@StephanieLynn I wouldn’t do it either. I would soak it overnight in Dawn..and use a baby toothbrush...I would keep soaking it every chance I got..Then I would loupe it to make sure it was totally clean. I bought a ring once that had a diamond I thought had a dark inclusion in it. After I soaked it and ran it through the ultrasonic the inclusion disappeared. It was gunk! Yuck! That ring didn’t have melee or small stones so I felt it was safe to do though...It’s such a beautiful ring..

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies! I usually just use a toothbrush and dawn but thought maybe the ultra would do an easier better job, not going to chance it though! Plus I'm a bad PS'er and don't even own an ultrasonic so there's that.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an exceptional find!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
occasionally after a pro inspection to look for issues and giving it an ok.
daily..no.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes but it does need to be indpected first. I would do that anyhow. A toothbrush can knock stones out of a weaker setting the same way.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Be sure to use Dawn foaming liquid! I tried it per the recommendations of other PSers and it definitely cleans better than regular Dawn. I pour some of the Dawn foaming liquid in with some hot water, mix it up, and soak my diamond rings for a while, then brush with a clean toothbrush (it was a new toothbrush that I only use on diamonds). Be sure to close the sink drain too, just in case!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the sound advice @Karl_K, @Sunstorm and for the tip about Dawn foaming @MRBXXXFVVS1

Now here is a question, because there are a lot (I think I counted 25) single cut diamonds, if I do lose one at some point can I get a replacements?

Thanks @Jimmianne for your sweet compliment!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the sound advice @Karl_K, @Sunstorm and for the tip about Dawn foaming @MRBXXXFVVS1

Now here is a question, because there are a lot (I think I counted 25) single cut diamonds, if I do lose one at some point can I get a replacements?

Thanks @Jimmianne for your sweet compliment!

yes they are out there both new production and pulls if someone knows where to look.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The first thing I would do upon buying something like this is have it inspected and steamed then go from there.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn
You know I'm just messing with you---
I don't really call her "Stephanie Lynn":lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@StephanieLynn I wouldn’t do it either. I would soak it overnight in Dawn..and use a baby toothbrush...I would keep soaking it every chance I got..Then I would loupe it to make sure it was totally clean. I bought a ring once that had a diamond I thought had a dark inclusion in it. After I soaked it and ran it through the ultrasonic the inclusion disappeared. It was gunk! Yuck! That ring didn’t have melee or small stones so I felt it was safe to do though...It’s such a beautiful ring..

@Mamabean, is Dawn really better than other dish detergents? Thanks.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
No.... @Fabulous50 It’s just something I use a lot so I just say Dawn. I’m sure any good dishwashing liquid is good.

Thanks. A lot of people on here say to use Dawn, and I thought there might be some special magic there, lol!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes Dawn is definitely the one to use. Do not buy other brands or fancy kinds the point being that you really want a great degreaser without any film forming ingredents in there. There are some other brands that work but most of us have had the best luck with Dawn.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Dawn is definitely the one to use. Do not buy other brands or fancy kinds the point being that you really want a great degreaser without any film forming ingredents in there. There are some other brands that work but most of us have had the best luck with Dawn.

I actually started using Dawn after the Valdez oil spill. They used it to degrease
the wildlife without hurting them. I
don’t use anything else so don’t know how other brands compare.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results