shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it really that hard?

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
Thanks slg - I can only assume that there is a lot of light leakage on both stones (edge loss on the F stone and table leakage on the E stone)?

JA recommended the E color diamond. I hope to have 3 options from GoG tomorrow afternoon to look at.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sumfungai have you seen solasfera princess cuts? GOG has videos comparing them to even AGS0 princess cuts and they BLOW the other cuts out of the water IMO. I would also suggest Infinity. I know your GF wants a princess, but in my opinion that cut is not always the best in terms of being bright and sparkly, which in the end is what a diamond should do. But there are some versions that are indeed really sparkly, like the two I mentioned.

Another thing to perhaps do is sit down with her and watch some videos of square stones together from GOG. You nixed a cut cornered stone earlier, but once set with the type of setting a princess stone has, the corners are covered and you won't notice it is cut :rodent: Eliminating that problem. Anyways, you might want to probe a little to see what it is you GF likes about the princess, and if only te square shape, perhaps oepn her horizons a little. You know, show her how you are indeed the smartest man in the universe ;)) . There are so many cool square cuts out there, but most people only know of the princess.

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
Thanks DD - I am definitely open to that but there isn't a single Solasfera Princes cut over 2 Ct, let alone get close to the 2.5 Ct. range. I like the Jubilee H&A @ 2.44 Ct but that is a bit out of my budget. There is an option with the H&A with cut corners but I am going to have to probe the better half to understand what her driver really is for the shape of the stone. Luckily, Jonathan and Matt have been working hard to find something for me and I hope to have a few more options tomorrow afternoon to look at.

More to come!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the branded cuts cost more. For *me* I would get a smaller stone with better optics, which can mean getting a branded cut of sorts, but that is something personal you and yoru gf will need to decide.

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't disagree with you but I think it really is a marginal cost of utility argument. I can understand a branded stone commanding a premium of say X% but when we are talking literally DOUBLE for the same size, I am having a difficult time believing that the light performance of the stone is twice as good. Does that make sense?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sumfungai|1313012341|2988111 said:
I wouldn't disagree with you but I think it really is a marginal cost of utility argument. I can understand a branded stone commanding a premium of say X% but when we are talking literally DOUBLE for the same size, I am having a difficult time believing that the light performance of the stone is twice as good. Does that make sense?

perhaps you could have GOG make you a video of the stones they find for you compared to a solasfera in the same price range?

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
Yep - that's what I have them doing! Keep you posted.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
sumfungai|1313012341|2988111 said:

I know. The same can be said about color or clarity in many cases, where it can double the cost. Yet people pay it sometimes! You need to make this decision based on what your eyes tell you, so the video should help a lot. One thing -- when you see the video focus on the diffuse lighting condition, and perhaps ask Jon the film by the window like he often does. Those two lighting environments are the most common. Even though the spot lighting conditions are nice and pretty, unless you are a club hopper you are unlikely to really see fire all that often. In sunlight you see it a little too, but even still I find it is not as noticable as the other two aspects of light performance. But I don't like in California and spend all day outdoors. Your milage may vary ;))

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
Ok folks, I think we have a couple of good candidates! The Matt and Jon from GOG have come up with some stones that are very promising. Please let me know what you think as I have a preference.

2.5 Ct I VVS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8568

8568.jpg

2.51 Ct. I VS1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8567

8567.jpg

2.30 Ct. G VS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8566

8566.jpg

I think this video that Jon made certainly does tip the scales....

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan?feature=pyv&ad=8132676332&kw=diamond%20information#p/u/0/bY7QGiea7LE

Any reservations on moving forward?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
The I/VVS2 looks fab! I will also say though, the difference between that and the 2 carat he shows for size comp in the middle doesn't look that much smaller, given it's weight difference.
Glad GOG came through for you! Congrats!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They did come through for you - awesome!

The differences in the video are striking - the I VVS really does kick the others' butts :sun:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1313217767|2989895 said:
They did come through for you - awesome!

The differences in the video are striking - the I VVS really does kick the others' butts :sun:

Yes there is NO question about that being the best performing rock in the bunch. A good find!

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
Ok guys and gals - here is the last candidate and I will be making my decision tomorrow night. Specs for the final stone are:

2.30 G VS2 / 7.21 x 7.07 x 5.18 mm / Polish & Symmetry EX EX

Here are the images for your perusal and feedback....

SELECT_DI_GIA16259515.jpg

SELECT_IDS_GIA16259515.jpg

SELECT_ASET_GIA16259515.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the help everyone has provided.

RC

sumfungai

Rough_Rock
I am a newbie in terms of interpreting the ASET photos but does the BGD 2.30 G VS2 have a little better light performance based on the image? Also, it looks like the dimensions are quite similar so both diamonds should be comparable size wise when they "face up" against each other?

GOG - 2.50 I VVS2 / 7.24 x 7.24 x 5.44 / Polish & Symmetry VG VG
BGD - 2.30 G VS2 / 7.21 x 7.07 x 5.18 mm / Polish & Symmetry EX EX

thanks

RC

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results