shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible that I scratched my diamond?

stepcutsoiree

Rough_Rock
I recently got engaged, so of course - study my ring/diamond any spare second. About a week or so ago, I noticed what appears to be a scratch on the face of the diamond, near the edge.

Is it possible that it scratched?
Did I chip it?

Is there any way to fix a scrarch/chip on the face, like this? 20210610_190719.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the lab report?

stepcutsoiree

Rough_Rock
Can you post the lab report?
There is/was no lab report :( It's an i3 (has some of the original rough, on the underside & has a 'black ink spot' you can see from the top), so I didn't bother getting one just for the color.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible it has been there all along and you’re just seeing it now? Hard to say without a report.

ETA You can scratch a diamond.

stepcutsoiree

Rough_Rock
feel it with a fingernail?
cleaned?

yes, I can feel it with my fingernail.
Havent taken it to be cleaned, I'm afraid to ruin it if it has a crack now.

The seller has videos posted of it before I purchased & I didn't see it on the original videos - am I allowed to post a link to the seller's IG / videos of the stone?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can post a link to the seller's images/videos

it's possible it was scratched and neither you nor the seller noticed
it's possible it scratched or chipped after you received it or maybe even in transit
if it's i3 / salt & pepper it is going to be more delicate than your typical diamond

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks like it already has quite a few chips or fissures, it's going to be easy to crack or scratch imho. more risky to polish it out i think. hopefully an expert will come give you an opinion but if it were me i would just baby it...those stones are pretty imho but vendors don't always mention they are not as durable as commercial diamonds. sorry it happened but it doesn't really take away from it the flaws can be part of their charm.

ETA the IG post says it's a rough/natural on the bottom but looks to me like it has little cracks inside also. someone more knowledgeable will hopefully comment.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure I see the scratch you pointed to in his videos

I took some screenshots and I see a scratch but it's in a different place than the one in OP's pic.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I3 is as low as it goes, yes? Is there even a lower limit for I3 "clarity"? That can hide a multitude of sins. I would not worry in the least about that scratch and even whether it is a scratch. It does not impact the appearance or value.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently got engaged, so of course - study my ring/diamond any spare second. About a week or so ago, I noticed what appears to be a scratch on the face of the diamond, near the edge.

Is it possible that it scratched?
Did I chip it?

Is there any way to fix a scrarch/chip on the face, like this? 20210610_190719.jpg

its so pretty
can we please see another picture of it from a different angle just so i can admire it
im sorry you have this worry now
maybe just keep it clean and don't look at in under a loup

you don't need an ultra sonic to clean it, just an old soft tooth brush and a drop of washing up liquid (the kind without the moisturizer) in some water

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many structural issues with this diamond, but it has nice character for what it is. I see the characteristic on the front in the third video and it appears to be a laser drilled tube, though it could be a needle. While I would guess you didn’t cause the thing you’re noticing, an I3 diamond will not be as durable as one with higher clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results