shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it ALL about the RING?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Heaven Sent

Rough_Rock
A gal that came in to my shop getting engaged thinks it is ALL about "The Ring". Her intended is working part time and still attending college. She went shopping on her own and gave him the card of a salesman with the specs of a "Belgian Cut" ring that is around $12,000!!!
eek.gif
This is a young girl... What is wrong with that salesman that he would even show her a ring like that?!?
angryfire.gif

I told her that was an awful lot to expect for a first ring in their current circumstance. She said that in her family it is "ALL about the ring".
6.gif
I told her a lot of that could go towards a good running vehicle or down payment on a home. Am I too practical? I think I offended her...
sad.gif

I am close friends with her intended and it breaks my heart to see him trying to live up to that expectation!
cry.gif
I don''t even know what a Belgian Cut is! Aren''t there nice cut diamonds that shine beautifully for much more reasonable prices?
confused.gif

Any suggestions on good sites and styles to help this young man please her without going into this kind of debt? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... what were the specs?

There is a hoard of sellers getting regular positive feedback here. Some are also frequently posting. However, the rules of the forum woudl not allow them to go straight into making public offers to you (maybe PM...).

However, if you want to go this route, it does work to post some specs (budget, or the approximative size of the stone with or without a color and clarity range) and suggestions would come for more or less regular posters for the sheer pleasure of disecting diamond virtually
1.gif

Also, I think you would find the tutorial at the top of this page helpful...

And, well, it could be "all about the ring" if we are talking about two 10 year olds playing "house"
2.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/10/2004 1:03:49 AM Heaven Sent wrote:

What is wrong with that salesman that he would even show her a ring like that?!?
angryfire.gif

----------------

How is the salesman supposed to know her budget unless she tells him? It sounds like she's not telling... There do exist people that age who can afford those kind of rings, and who might get annoyed by the salesperson assuming they can't afford it and keep showing rings they don't want. I have to admit that this was a more common problem in the SF Bay Area during the dot-com boom -- there were quite a number of young paper millionaires walking around in birks and ripped jeans.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed. The salesperson was probably just showing her items she WANTED to see, meaning $12k rocks. Salespeople can't be mindreaders.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Funny, when we went searching they ALWAYS asked our budget, as not to take out the cheap rings to offend us, or the BIG rocks to waste their time. When it comes to any sale, you want to know parameters, and you are not worth your weight in feathers if you don't know how to sell to the right audience, the right item.

So sales people see an impressionable and unknowledgeable girl with a ready and willing credit card, and they go as high as they think they can, and make her try to "pine" for the pricey one. They know the guy wants to make the girl happy, so they target the girl with the "fancy" items...

The sales guy KNEW what he was doing, and that girl was more than happy to look at the $12K rings. The only loser in this situation is the poor intended, and frankly, he should take a look at what he is marrying and why. She could be PERFECT, but he better get into this with his eyes WIDE open, and know what he'll have to make to keep her happy...
nono.gif
22.gif
22.gif

PriceScope is a bevy of bargains, just look around and punch in some facts and figures into the Diamond Search HERE on the left, and see all the prices for various sizes. I am SURE he gan get a lower color (I-J), and SI-1 or a good SI-2 in clarity to get her the LARGEST stone for his budget... Wish him luck...
eek.gif

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the salesman is to be blamed, after all, he can show all the rings he want but it is up to the buyer to make their decision.

Maybe your friend can get some quotes here once he knows what kind of ring he want (ie., shape, size, color, clarity).

Actually, you might want to have your friend talk to his girlfriend about realistic expectations. Unless either he or she came from a rich family, how do they expect to pay for the ring?

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
So overall, about 50% or more marriages end in divorce. Of those, the #1 cause is usually money. If she
22.gif
doesn't respect their financial situation now...red flag. Love is blind and all that I guess.

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
That's quite a lot to expect for a first ring! What about upgrading later!! Hopefully she won't get her hopes up too high, otherwise she might not be happy with anything !
loopy.gif

Heaven Sent

Rough_Rock
It must have been ALL about the RING... She called it off.
6.gif

Poor guy!
cry.gif
He's broken hearted; but much better now than later. He deserves someone mature enough to know that he's more important than the ring.
rodent.gif
I wish him the best and thank you all for your support in my efforts to help him out.

I'll have to hang out here more often. You guys are GREAT!!!
wavey.gif

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
WOW
angryfire.gif
that's really unfortunate! She didn't deserve him anyway.
nono.gif
She does need to take a maturity lesson or marry Donald Trump LOL. Her loss!! Let him know were here for him, and he can do better!
9.gif

Heaven Sent

Rough_Rock
I agree... He's not wanting to hear that right now, though...
cry.gif
He thinks "she's the one". Time is a good healer... I'm sure it will take some of that.
wacko.gif

I'm so glad he didn't go into debt for that ring!!!
errrr.gif
Eating and having decent transportation is MUCH more important for a young couple! Hehehe!
twirl.gif

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Ah yes...so much better now than later. I'm relieved and I don't even know them! In my opinion, a woman who worships "things" like this one did, will do just about anything to get some"thing"...if you know what I mean. At least this way, he saves the cost of the ring plus the thousands of $$$$$ on a divorce attorney.

Heaven Sent

Rough_Rock
Not to mention the continuous heartbreak! Sometimes it's just NOT meant to be....
sick.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The ring is just a symptom. She could be incredibly selfish, shortsighted, materialistic, low selfesteem - or all of the above.

It would be different if he could well afford it - but, since this in not the case - Better to run,not walk, away from this one.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yees, run indeed!

I noticed that you can't just throw money at a problem, because they just end up costing more! If she can't be happy with less than a $12000 ring, then her love has a price tag, and it's better to know that upfront.

Sad for the guy, and I wish him a speedy recovery from her memory and better luck with someone more suited to his wallet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results