shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it a ruby or a pink sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
I am embarrassed at my lack of memory (getting old is just sooo much fun!)...I finally got my 3 carat 8mm rd ruby ring out of the safety deposit box...I bought the stone when I was in the wholesale bid, about 20 years ago...at the time, everyone (and I) agreed that it was a beautiful,RUBY...Burma - esque! Now, I am looking at it and thinking, SHEESH! Its a pink SAPPHIRE!! I have pics now, but have yet to figure out how to upload them...not to mention the pics are still in the camera that is now en route to Fla, with my BF!! I''m going to ask him to e-mail them to me so I can post here and get y''all''s opinion!! "A mind is a terrible thing to waste!" But apparently, I have!! LOL...
Anyway, any opinions on pink sapphire versus ''pinkish'' ruby? And which is more valuable/rare now??

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe "ruby" fetches the higher prices these days in comparison to pink sapphire because of rarity.

NSC isn't by any means the authority of sapphire classifications, but they have a lot of them, so you can compare colors. They have a ruby and pink sapphire section.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Rubies/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jake,
You should read the article here:
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/ruby_sapphire_borders.htm

It explains how the ruby/pink sapphire name came about and that labs and the trade have gotten carried way with the terminology. In effect, a rich red corundum is desireable and expensive whereas a lighter toned red corundum less so. A lighter toned red corundum will also appear pinkish. Pink is really a subset of red because as red gets "watered" down, pink colour is created. In order to make the lighter toned red (pink) corundum as desirable and charge more for it, it has been marketed as pink sapphire. However, pink sapphires are now more difficult to procure and expensive because many are used in berylium diffusion treatment to sell as padparadscha sapphires to unsuspecting buyers because padparadscha sapphires command very high prices.

Short answer: calling it a pink and red sapphire is just semantics. If it''s redder, it''s worth more. If it''s pinker, it''s worth less but still a lot. Of course the final value still lies in the carat weight, colour (purity of hue, tone and saturation) and clarity.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
My SoonToBeEx worked at NSC...I''ll just cut to the chase and call him! Don''t know why I didn''t already, accept that it is embarassing to be so ... forgetful!

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono...now my head is really reeling!! But I got the gist...I think! I am waiting for the BF to send the pics to me as I type...BTW, the stone is 8mm round WAS 3.08 cts...then I wore it and wore it down...had it polished and woopsie! It is now 2.96(or is it 2.98? OY! cts)...still 8mm round... I love it, no matter what it ends up being classified as...just wish I hadn''t worn it so long that it, yet again, needs to be polished...WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Its a pinky ring and has taken some serious abuse! Poor baby...
My thing is that if I like a piece of jewelry I WEAR it EVERY DAY...BadBAaaad Me!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ve got the right idea. A gemstone is meant to be worn and enjoyed!
36.gif

jake06783

Rough_Rock
did my picture post??

ringo2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it! It looks purplish red on my monitor.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
YIKES!!! Bad picture!! So sorry...more to come as soon as I figure out how to do what I just did!! This uploading pics on this site seems complicated ...or am I just missing the obvious??

jake06783

Rough_Rock
I am lost here...has this one posted??

ringo6.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a new picture. Can the pictures be sized up a little more? I''m squinting here.
9.gif
You can PM Ali or Andrey for help too.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Funny, as I recall...20 years ago, I thought its biggest draw back was that it was a little purpleish...then I had it set in that gold and in real life...not photos, the purple was gone...Ohhh, did I get great offers for this stone once it was set into the ring! These photos are def washed out... a few more coming, please all forgive any repeats that I may do today...its a learning process!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the very reason why many rubies are set in yellow gold, especially high karat yellow gold. The yellow colour of the metal balances out the blue (or in this case the purple) of the stone and voila, the eye sees only the red colour!

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Exactly! The little gray cells are jiggling, thanks, Chrono! I have another pic I am trying to post with the ruby ring and two other pink cab rings... one is a garnet the other (??!!??) Tourmaline ?? Anyway, its a nice shot to show the levels of pink to err, pinker? or red?...but apparently, I need to go back into my files and rename the photo before i post it...as for upping the size of the pics...I''ll try, on my own,but just know I''ll screw up! Mechanical wiz will be back home next week!

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Ahhh...sorry about the bad quality...still its fun to share!

three piggies!.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Do you know that the stone is definitely corumdum, Jake? is it usual for corundum to need polishing, even with regular wear?
sorry if that question sounds dumb yes I am a newbie.
Could it possibly be a rhodolite garnet? Garnet is a bit softer...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a question about your stone: has it been checked for chromium content using a Chelsea filter? It should glow red if it does. Just curious, that’s all.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
The stone is definitely corundum...as for the other test mentioned...no I have not had that done...are you asking if it flouresses(sp)??
Anyway, again sorry for the bad quality of photos...I''ll get working on that!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can use a Chelsea filter with natural light - although as far as I know chromium will cause red fluorescence in most stones (e.g. laser rubies!!!)

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Ahh, so this is a test to see if the stone is natural (real) ??? ...No doubts there...it is real. I''m trying to get in touch with my ex now, so that he can bring me up to steam on precious stones in the new millenium, and help me describe the stone to y''all in today''s precious stone language.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:25:20 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I do believe ''ruby'' fetches the higher prices these days in comparison to pink sapphire because of rarity.

NSC isn''t by any means the authority of sapphire classifications, but they have a lot of them, so you can compare colors. They have a ruby and pink sapphire section.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Rubies/

Ok, so if I wait for Steven to get back to me, I might age another year! The stone I have looks very much like some of the rubies on NSC''s page...its darker (richer) in color than the first stone on the page and (the picture does it no justice) it is eye clean...just needs a re-polish BADLY!...There is definitely some purple in it, but also a nice sparkly pink/red going on in there too...
Please guys, forgive my ineptness here...its been a long time and I am just now getting my feet wet...again! For the longest time, stones were just "work" to me...its just now that I am finding my love for the beauty that is in them again...
On a nice note for me, I think I may have gotten the price of the century on this baby! Nice to know I have something truly wonderful to leave to my DD when I croak!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to pursue my original thought -train here... but...
is it common for sapphire / ruby / corundum to need repolishing to get a sharp angle back on facets?
Are sapphires suitable for e-rings if they do need regular repolishing?

I''d be interested to hear others'' opinions.

L.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
Mine needs repolishing because I wore it and wore it for decades and bashed it against ... well, EVERYTHING! My bad...

jake06783

Rough_Rock
and ...sorry, I have just come off of the LOST episode on TV and well, I am LOST!
Corundum is so strong! My ring is bad because I was really... REALLY bad to it for DECADES! I NEVER took it off( i am talking YEARS)!! Generally, Sapphs and Rubies, last a long time without need for a polish, and of course, Diamonds last forever...
IMHO, the only inappropriate stone, for a ring that is actually going to worn a long/ or daily time, is an emerald...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 5:27:10 PM
Author: jake06783
The stone is definitely corundum...as for the other test mentioned...no I have not had that done...are you asking if it flouresses(sp)??
Anyway, again sorry for the bad quality of photos...I''ll get working on that!
No, the chelsea filter checks for chromium content which rubies must have. It will appear red when viewed through the filter. It does not check for flourescence.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 6:54:09 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
I think you can use a Chelsea filter with natural light - although as far as I know chromium will cause red fluorescence in most stones (e.g. laser rubies!!!)
OMC,
If that''s the case, then would you consider tsavorites to have flourescence too? And emeralds? Both stones types contain chromium. Or do you mean that they just glow red when viewed under the filter? I know only stones with chromium glows red under the filter.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:40:22 PM
Author: jake06783
and ...sorry, I have just come off of the LOST episode on TV and well, I am LOST!

Corundum is so strong! My ring is bad because I was really... REALLY bad to it for DECADES! I NEVER took it off( i am talking YEARS)!! Generally, Sapphs and Rubies, last a long time without need for a polish, and of course, Diamonds last forever...

IMHO, the only inappropriate stone, for a ring that is actually going to worn a long/ or daily time, is an emerald...
thanks for that, Jake!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results