shape
carat
color
clarity

Is "I" Color really that different from a "G"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buss

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a diamond with the following specs. My only hesitation is the I Color. I was initially thinking about buying a diamond with a color of F-H. What are people''s thoughts on "I" color and the value of this diamond.

Round Brilliant 1.53 carat
Ideal Cut (Depth - 60.6%, Table - 55%)
Clarity - SI1 (Very small inclusions just on the side, none in middle. The sales person said that it could easily be a VS1 or VVS2)
Color - I
Polsh - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent

Price: $8200

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the grading is correct, it sounds like a very nice stone at a very reasonable price.

It would be nice to know the grading lab and the crown/pavilion height/angles to get a more accurate picture.

A GIA or AGS graded "I" color is a very nice looking color, that many (probably most) people would be unable to distinguish from a "G" when mounted and observed against skin tones. It would look fine set in platinum or white gold prongs (I would recommend a platinum head for greater security).

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, but something is strange here...
An SI 1 that could be graded as VVS 2 or VS 1?? No way! Probably it's a nice, clean stone, maybe borderline VS 2 but VVS 2... That's 100% impossible!
'I' color, if graded properly, will face up nicely and should be quite white...

The Grudge

Rough_Rock
The stone sounds nice and the price looks right, but to answer your original question: yes, there is a very noticeable difference between a G & I.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Thats what they are salesman
1.gif
It was true they would have it sent in to have it certified to that and get more money.

About the color ~ In the real world you will not see a difference nor will your friends.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
I just bought an I. You cannot tell the difference unless you work in the industry....Really.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
oh...I meant to say..as long as it is a gia grading.. others are more liberal..and as always these poorer standards kill the culture a bit regardless of whether its diamonds or politics...heh heh.

tiggerlgh

Rough_Rock
My diamond is a G and I do notice a difference when I go to the Maul just to get ideas as to what kind of band I want. Most of the ones that I have tried on are I colored and there is a noticable difference in color when the two diamonds are next to each other.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/30/2003 2:20:51 PM tiggerlgh wrote:

My diamond is a G and I do notice a difference when I go to the Maul just to get ideas as to what kind of band I want. Most of the ones that I have tried on are I colored and there is a noticable difference in color when the two diamonds are next to each other.
----------------

I wouldn't trust the "maul" grading. The "I" could be an M.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Buss,

I am going to have to say that you can see the difference in a G and an I, even when mounted and on someones hand.
My wife is not "in the business" and she can easily pick out the G every time. Oh, and she wears glasses.

(The sales person said that it could easily be a VS1 or VVS2))....I don't think so! The sales person does not have a clue. VS2...maybe..VS1, not a chance. Nothing wrong with an SI1 but making statements like that shows one of two things..He/she does not know what he/she is talking about or he/she is not telling the truth.

Just because this diamond has a 60.6% depth, 55% table and excellent/excellent does not make it an Ideal cut. There is a lot more that goes into making a round diamond an Ideal cut

Does the diamond have a Diamong Grading Report? If so, by what lab? If it is by any other lab than AGS, it can't be Ideal even if it has a GIA and a great Sarin report. I have found that most diamond dealers do not have a clue as to what really goes into making a round diamond Ideal. They think if it gets a Sarin report with an AGS 0, it is Ideal...sorry. Not so!

I would not but a diamond of that size without a GIA or AGS Diamond Grading Report "certificate". If it is GIA, make sure you get a Sarin or OGI. And give us the results.

About the clearity issue...If the sales person is not telling the truth in one area, what makes you think he/she is telling the truth elsewhere?
Be careful!!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my $0.02, but I have a new F colored diamond, an OMC I colored diamond and an H colored diamond pendant, and I can spot the difference right away.
The F color and the H color are both ideal cuts.
Even my husband, who cares very little about diamonds, except for what it will cost him, spotted the difference right away.
But, if you don't have other diamonds to compare it to, you will never really notice the difference. Unless you have a bunch of friends sporting colorless diamonds who will compare yours to theirs.
If you are getting a fair price on a diamond, then I would get an I color. If you can get an I with flourescence, that is even better because it may bring up the color one or two grades. I would look into some of the online vendors to get a better idea of price. Remember too, that if it is an ideal cut diamond, it will face up whiter than other "maul" I color diamonds.
When I had my diamond appraised, the appraiser told me my diamond was actually an E color.I don't know if it's because it is a H&A ideal cut, or because it really is an E color. What ever the case may be, it sure made my day!!
Good luck with your purchase!!
2.gif

gemsource

Rough_Rock
unless you play with diamonds all day you will not tell a i stone from a g,,,,,,,,but dont believe any bs sales clerks try selling you it is si
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone's eyes are different. Some people are just more sensitive to color than others. I have inspected a G an H and an I diamond (all GIA graded and Hearts and Arrows) up close unmounted together. I can immediately see the color in an I graded stone and it bugs me. However, some people like the warmth of an I grade. Personally I think it can be quite beautiful, I just didn't want any color in my engagement ring. I actually own an M colored stone that is not my engagement ring and the color makes it quite charming to me. It's all a matter of your eyes and your taste. I can easily spot the color in an I as compared to a G or F. But some people, truely cannot see the color difference. Some people like to have warmth in their stone and some do not. It's a personal decision and one you will have to make for yourself. Go view some GIA graded G's and I's next to each other to find out if you can tell, and what are your preferences when it comes to color.

Good Luck!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
A GIA or AGS graded "I" color is a very nice looking color, that many
(probably most) people would be unable to distinguish from a "G" when
mounted and observed against skin tones.
-----------

Notice the key is "when mounted and observed against skin tones".

Most people can spot a 2 color grade difference between loose diamonds against a white background. Quite a few can spot a 2 color grade difference when they compare two diamonds side-by-side mounted.

But very few will be able to discern the difference between someone wearing a mounted (and correctly graded) I color stone or a G color stone, when viewed seperately. Without another stone around for comparison, only a sharp eyed few are going to be able to notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results