shape
carat
color
clarity

Is home jewelry cleaner safe for Tsavorites?

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
My new RHR is tsavorites, diamond, and 14k white gold (see my profile pic). I know that I must not use a steam cleaner or anything with extreme temperature change to prevent the tsavs from fracturing. I've been cleaning it with lukewarm water and a small amount of dish liquid and a baby soft toothbrush. I'd like to be able to soak it in my home jewelry cleaner, e.g. Connosoisseurs. Is it safe?

GIA doesn't say boo about it under their care recommendations. Connosoisseurs chart and FAQs say it is safe, but I am leery and want to know if anyone does this? Is it safe?

http://www.gia.edu/garnet-care-cleaning

http://connoisseurs.com/jewelry_care/jewelry_cleaning_tips_chart.php

http://connoisseurs.com/jewelry_care_tips/how-to-clean-a-garnet/

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I always tend to stay on the cautious side of things like this... I have threatened to steal my wife's ultrasonic she stole from me; as she tends to put things in there I cut for her that I would not get close to it with... :wall:

But so far she has been lucky; I however only use glass cleaner like windex cut 50-50 with luke warm water and a soft toothbrush. In 30 years I have had no issues with everything from apatite to zircon...

But the mild liquid detergent you have been using should be fine; just use the ones with no conditioners added as they leave a residue that will dull the reflective properties...

Always play it safe when it comes to your precious and semi-precious gems...

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds

ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dana! The liquid dish soap is the clear blue kind, no extra softeners or conditioners. I've only done it 2x so far. I like the windex idea too. Seems like that would work to get it extra squeaky clean. Although, is there any danger with the ammonia in windex? Seems like I read somewhere that it can damage the white gold plating?

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Of course we all have to use "common sense" in all things we do while walking this earth :) But the things I was always told was; do not use straight anything other than water to clean gems or jewelry; one of my dear friends who is a metal worker beyond the norm for the last 40+ years always had a "hot pot" that he used to soak jewelry before repairs and it was ivory soap sliced in slivers and bo peep ammonia cut 75% water to ammonia. Turned on medium heat ; of course nothing like tsavorites, tanzanites, etc. was put in that pot but diamonds, rubies, sapphires, amethyst, etc. were and all types of metals from 10k to platinum. I do know that extended use of higher percentage of ammonia will dull the finish on precious metals. Also chlorine from pools etc. can dull your finish on precious metals. But you can ask 20 people and you will get at least 12 different answers; so common sense will have to rule on this one...

Also was told never to put anything on pearls, was told when I sold Japanese akoya and South Sea pearls to tell the Ladies and/or the men buying them for their precious significant others; to put their hair spray and or perfume on before you put your pearls on to help keep the nacre in pristine condition as once it is dulled or gone there is no repair unless you know a pearl farmer who can re-introduce it into the mollusk ;-) :shock:

But staying with the simplicity; of not putting anything on your gems you would not put on your own skin will keep you safe :) These stones are more tough than many give them credit for; as we cutters grind them with 600 grit to 1200 then introduce them to heat when polishing; so many times IF they are going to react it will be with us cutters and we put them through the test as if they will not hold up with us; we surely do not want to sell them to you for them to fall apart and make you sad.

The gems run more of a risk of being damaged by being knocked up against things like door handles, etc. than like having a little ammonia with water or dish washing detergent swished around them for short periods of time.

I am sure by just asking the questions you have; you will take very good care of your precious jewelry :saint: Enjoy them as that is why we cut them and why people wear them ; they bring us joy ...

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results