shape
carat
color
clarity

Is having more keeping me from enjoying what I have?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I never wear something I would get rid of it, sell it, gift it, trade it. Unless I just loved it too much to part with it (I have two of those only). Other than that, I tend to rotate my jewelry frequently so almost everything gets a bit of wear, although some pieces more than others. But I do keep adding pieces because as @stracci2000 says, there is always something else that I am attracted to, be it style, stone etc. As long as I continue to wear my pieces I have no issue with that.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry has always been a pleasure hobby of mine in some fashion - whether shopping with my mom/friends, making fun fashion pieces, collecting different stones/types of pieces or designing something. It's also how I accessorize whereas some do it through shoes, scarves or bags. The process of procuring brings as much enjoyment as wearing. And I love all types of jewelry - fine or fashion - and being able the ability to change up an outfit or preconceived style by what I pick to wear.

Although I do rotate my pieces daily, I have too much for one person to reasonably wear. The reality is I am a jewelry collector and hoarder.

I've occasionally donated inexpensive stuff to local charities and given stuff away to extended family. I have made some attempts to get disciplined about selling but it's short lived as I find there isn't much I really want to part with and in the end, it's really not worth my effort or the loss one takes when pricing to sell. But the time is coming where I will need to do something and it pains me to think about it. Covid has shown me that I won't be wearing as much after retirement and my kids will have no use for much of it.

I do have a self-imposed $ limit on what I will spend on a single piece of jewelry. I know that having nicer pieces won't stop me from buying more -and- that I like changing things up too much to invest a lot on one piece -and- it pains me to part with stuff. It's why I've never gotten into the upgrade stage where most would be at this point. I know that once I let myself cross the line, it will open a whole new can of worms.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelry has always been a pleasure hobby of mine in some fashion - whether shopping with my mom/friends, making fun fashion pieces, collecting different stones/types of pieces or designing something. It's also how I accessorize whereas some do it through shoes, scarves or bags. The process of procuring brings as much enjoyment as wearing. And I love all types of jewelry - fine or fashion - and being able the ability to change up an outfit or preconceived style by what I pick to wear.

Although I do rotate my pieces daily, I have too much for one person to reasonably wear. The reality is I am a jewelry collector and hoarder.

I've occasionally donated inexpensive stuff to local charities and given stuff away to extended family. I have made some attempts to get disciplined about selling but it's short lived as I find there isn't much I really want to part with and in the end, it's really not worth my effort or the loss one takes when pricing to sell. But the time is coming where I will need to do something and it pains me to think about it. Covid has shown me that I won't be wearing as much after retirement and my kids will have no use for much of it.

I do have a self-imposed $ limit on what I will spend on a single piece of jewelry. I know that having nicer pieces won't stop me from buying more -and- that I like changing things up too much to invest a lot on one piece -and- it pains me to part with stuff. It's why I've never gotten into the upgrade stage where most would be at this point. I know that once I let myself cross the line, it will open a whole new can of worms.

I can relate to the budget for each piece. I find it strange that I’m happy buying four $500 items over time, but to buy one $2000 item would REALLY give me pause, and I just plain probably wouldn’t. As often. Hahahaha

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think for me the thrill is in the chase, and once I have something, I'm less interested. I have so many beautiful things that I just don't wear.

I can relate to the budget for each piece. I find it strange that I’m happy buying four $500 items over time, but to buy one $2000 item would REALLY give me pause, and I just plain probably wouldn’t. As often. Hahahaha

Big deep breath

I had a lot of fun down the mall buying pretty things for 1K
i still like or love at least half of it i just try not to think how overprcied it all was (especially the more expensive pieces)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know....right? I know it makes no sense from a big picture perspective but it's the only way I have of limiting myself.

i just try not to think how overprcied it all was (especially the more expensive pieces)

You paid what it was worth for the joy it brings...so that makes it worth it...no regrets...just enjoy.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I am not buying anymore. But I get my jewelry passion -addiction satisfied here as I learn so much from the community. I love stepping in the shoes of posters who are shopping, designing or receiving jewelry and voicing my opinion as this forum is so tolerant. I can’t wear expensive jewelry at work, I ride public transportation in a crime ridden city and frankly don’t go out much anymore at night in fear of car jackings and armed robberies. Plus inflation has really hit hard on all consumer goods. I would not sell my stuff in my lifetime ( unless needed) but when I am gone the kids can do what they want with it.

I don’t know why but as I read your post all I could think was “Lambskin lives in Gotham!”

This is so sad and alien to me because I live in one of the safest cities on earth with an incredibly low crime rate. I can’t imagine locking my door at night and I wear my jewellery to the grocery store. What a bubble we live in here. I would not own jewellery at all if I still lived in the U.K.

Sorry for the digression.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t know why but as I read your post all I could think was “Lambskin lives in Gotham!”

This is so sad and alien to me because I live in one of the safest cities on earth with an incredibly low crime rate. I can’t imagine locking my door at night and I wear my jewellery to the grocery store. What a bubble we live in here. I would not own jewellery at all if I still lived in the U.K.

Sorry for the digression.

We are all moving to your neighbourhood

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I wonder when enough is enough. Will I be collecting forever? So many PSers have claimed to have enough and be done and yet there is always something new to explore and covet. That is part of the fun! And it is a wonderful educational journey. But I’m starting to worry that the constant desire for more is making me less likely to enjoy what I already have.

I also resisted buying something recently, and was feeling like I was being smart to not just hoard another piece of jewelry… but now I’m sad I missed out on it. One of a kind pieces or sales cannot be found again!

This is such a bunch of random thoughts. Feel free to add your own!

My first reaction is to say no but then I realise that I do forget what I have so maybe it’s a sometimes yes? I mean, there are only that many rings/earrings/bangles/etc one can wear a day right? Maybe I need to whittle down my collection too.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I care more about stones than settings, so I have a zillion solitaires, mostly in rings. Now it is getting to the point where I can’t wear everything. I have two new-bling goal items for 2022. After that I am going to emulate @Daisys and Diamonds and focus on re-sets so that all the pretty stones have time to sparkle in the sunlight.

Spouse would not buy one more thing until she got rid of something. This had nothing to do with jewelry, btw.

I am like that with pretty much everything BUT jewelry and have found it to be a great habit.

I find that owning more jewelry items does result in my wearing (and enjoying) each piece less often. e.g. I don't layer my necklaces or wear multiple rings at the same time, so each new necklace or ring means I wear the other necklaces /rings less often.

So in a sense, more is less, and less is more.

Same. Thus the conscious effort to work on mostly resets next year. Might have to make another diamond purchase to build a three-stone, though. But the other two diamonds would end up in the same ring so it’s only one step back for two steps forward. :lol:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cure for wanting more bling had nothing to do with acquiring bling for me. It was other parts of my life I think I wanted to change. I find I still want more bling whenever those other parts fall apart (typically everything falls apart once every so often so I get to experience this periodically.). Im actually a bit indifferent about the pieces I actually own. I like the one I wear (which means approximately 1 piece and its typically the same piece for several years at a time) and I forget I own the rest. I think this might be a personality thing. I'm the same about all my other possessions (I could shop my closet, while it's actually a small closet I'd still be surprised by the contents. But Id forget again as soon as I shut the door so the exercise seems gratuitous).

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure how to live the happiest life, but I have had a "things" theme in the past few years. After living through many rough and lean years, a change in fortune enabled me to "fill-up" on lovely things. I noticed my collections don't always equal happiness in what I have. More is not more. I've tried to pay attention and I have found most of my things are worn maybe 5% of my time. I need to get rid of things I am not wearing. The things I don't wear often, I just don't feel connected with them.

Not sure if I will be happier with less, but I will feel less wasteful.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure how to live the happiest life, but I have had a "things" theme in the past few years. After living through many rough and lean years, a change in fortune enabled me to "fill-up" on lovely things. I noticed my collections don't always equal happiness in what I have. More is not more. I've tried to pay attention and I have found most of my things are worn maybe 5% of my time. I need to get rid of things I am not wearing. The things I don't wear often, I just don't feel connected with them.

Not sure if I will be happier with less, but I will feel less wasteful.

I can relate to this.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just reading this thread because I’ve been contemplating selling everything I have and basically putting it into one “set”

I have a few rings and other pieces that I think are spectacular and they are beautiful, but I never wear them except on the rare nights out. I am indifferent to them. And the only attachment I feel to them is that I think my husband would be disappointed if I got rid of them! We’ve discussed passing things down for a family, etc. I got excited about the prospect of this big, expansive jewelry collection that checks all the boxes, but now even the meager collection I’ve built mostly sits in a box!

But I just wear the same set everyday, rotate between hoops or studs, and 2 necklaces and that’s it. I find rings on my right hand irritating.

Ugh!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly why I never wanted a ‘collection’. Regardless of how many pieces I had, I would still wear the same things every day. Same is true of the closet full of clothes I have - I still reach for the same things most days!

So I instead focused on maximizing the pieces I wear every day so I get the optimum enjoyment from them. It has been a journey to get here and I have learned a lot along the way. I sold or traded whatever I didn’t love or wear and updated my basic pieces. I prefer just diamonds and polished metal - nothing ornate - just classic. It has worked for me for many years. I love seeing all of the different choices here on PS and find some of them very beautiful but multiples just don’t work for me. I enjoy reading others thoughts on this though - when it comes to jewelry, you can never say never!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just reading this thread because I’ve been contemplating selling everything I have and basically putting it into one “set”

I have a few rings and other pieces that I think are spectacular and they are beautiful, but I never wear them except on the rare nights out. I am indifferent to them. And the only attachment I feel to them is that I think my husband would be disappointed if I got rid of them! We’ve discussed passing things down for a family, etc. I got excited about the prospect of this big, expansive jewelry collection that checks all the boxes, but now even the meager collection I’ve built mostly sits in a box!

But I just wear the same set everyday, rotate between hoops or studs, and 2 necklaces and that’s it. I find rings on my right hand irritating.

Ugh!

don't do anything rash
i mean good to start thinking about it
But we have been all living in unprecedented times and we continue to
nothing is 'nornal' again yet

i like the idea of passing things down within the family

but prices for everything are going sky high right now - if you get rid of something and then latter on you change your mind its going to cost more to replace it

just my 2 cents (and 2 cents isnt even legal tender here any more ;)2 )

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Exactly why I never wanted a ‘collection’. Regardless of how many pieces I had, I would still wear the same things every day. Same is true of the closet full of clothes I have - I still reach for the same things most days!

So I instead focused on maximizing the pieces I wear every day so I get the optimum enjoyment from them. It has been a journey to get here and I have learned a lot along the way. I sold or traded whatever I didn’t love or wear and updated my basic pieces. I prefer just diamonds and polished metal - nothing ornate - just classic. It has worked for me for many years. I love seeing all of the different choices here on PS and find some of them very beautiful but multiples just don’t work for me. I enjoy reading others thoughts on this though - when it comes to jewelry, you can never say never!

Honestly I’m wondering if I’m more like this than I realized. I do like small tweaks to my wardrobe, for example, but I think that could be satisfied with a few stacking rings and not much else.

I do have a small number of lovely pieces, but it saddens me that they sit unworn.

But the things I wear, I wear faithfully! I won’t make any rash decisions, but I’ll try to count the times I actually wear some of the pieces outside of my daily rotation and see how I feel after a year.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
don't do anything rash
i mean good to start thinking about it
But we have been all living in unprecedented times and we continue to
nothing is 'nornal' again yet

i like the idea of passing things down within the family

but prices for everything are going sky high right now - if you get rid of something and then latter on you change your mind its going to cost more to replace it

just my 2 cents (and 2 cents isnt even legal tender here any more ;)2 )

Yea you’re right, the pieces I’d sell would basically be irreplaceable at the price I bought them, without a doubt. You’re right that I need to mull over it!

It’s more this moment of self discovery where I thought - gee, I kinda wish the money I spent wasn’t spent on things I don’t wear, and instead put towards items I truly wear everyday!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea you’re right, the pieces I’d sell would basically be irreplaceable at the price I bought them, without a doubt. You’re right that I need to mull over it!

It’s more this moment of self discovery where I thought - gee, I kinda wish the money I spent wasn’t spent on things I don’t wear, and instead put towards items I truly wear everyday!

the money thing is a bummer
(i mean i do know about that from all the pretty stuff i brought under the shinny lights of the mall)
sigh
but what's done is done so we must not dwell on past errors or it just eats you up and robs us of any enjoyment those pieces might still give us

sometimes we just have to try, to give things a go to work out what does and doesn't work for us
life is a journey and i guess it would be borring if everything smelt of roses
and nobody would add garlic or onions to anything :lol-2:

you know just referring back to all the pieces we all have that don't get worn
we do have lots of lovelly inspiring threads here on PS to get us to be darring and try something different for a change

all those; what im wearing today threads, stack of the day, pink on Wednesday, show me your pearls, even the rainbow gemstone game

it all encourages us to look deeper into our jewlery boxes and to look for the love we must have had when we brought these pretties

im sure we are all overlooking at least one thing that deserves to be worn more often and to go back into regular rotation

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You aren’t alone @Cerulean. One good thing about liking classics is they usually don’t go out of style. I won’t sell things because I think maybe someday my nieces may want some of it.

I wear small gold hoop earrings, 2 gold bangle bracelets and a ring. If I’m dressed up a prettier ring. It’s about as basic as you can get.

Do what makes you happy!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You ask, "Is having more keeping me from enjoying what I have?"

I'd turn that around ...
Perhaps not really enjoying what we already have, keeps us buying more.

Happiness will always be elusive when it stays one purchase away.
The ultimate first-world problem. :(

But we are free to break the cycle.
1.png

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I’m wondering if I’m more like this than I realized. I do like small tweaks to my wardrobe, for example, but I think that could be satisfied with a few stacking rings and not much else.

I do have a small number of lovely pieces, but it saddens me that they sit unworn.

But the things I wear, I wear faithfully! I won’t make any rash decisions, but I’ll try to count the times I actually wear some of the pieces outside of my daily rotation and see how I feel after a year.

Sounds like a very reasonable plan!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

As my friend always says:
You can always make more money!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

I'd turn that around ...

1.png

Neat way to turn things on their head! I like that.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've recently found a way to stop myself from impulse buying. I'm imagining myself owning the piece I'm looking at, then I imagine where and how I would wear it.
I then realise a lot of the stuff I look at I appreciate aesthetically and don't really want/need to own because it would not suit my current lifestyle and personal style.
Figuring myself out is the hardest bit in this equasion.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I've recently found a way to stop myself from impulse buying. I'm imagining myself owning the piece I'm looking at, then I imagine where and how I would wear it.
I then realise a lot of the stuff I look at I appreciate aesthetically and don't really want/need to own because it would not suit my current lifestyle and personal style.
Figuring myself out is the hardest bit in this equasion.

yes, it's true! i wish i learned that before i bought stuff, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20! :roll:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd turn that around ...

1.png

Do you wear you Octavia ring ❤️❤️everyday? Was it THE purchase that satisfied the jewelry itch?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you wear you Octavia ring ❤️❤️everyday? Was it THE purchase that satisfied the jewelry itch?
YES!
LOL, you nailed it!
I'm a lover of beauty in everything, but especially diamond light shows.

I am 100% satisfied (actually thrilled) with my color-volcano.
I glance (or stare) at it several times a day.
I look forward to entering locations with ideal light conditions for my daily 4th of July fireworks show.

Some guys are concerned they'll get caught staring at womens' boobs.
I worry about getting caught staring at the flashing police car lights on my finger.

IMO Octavia is the ultimate diamond cut.
And no, Karl and Yoram don't pay me - though maybe they should. :mrgreen::Up_to_something:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results