shape
carat
color
clarity

Is H&A overkill for studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Hello-

I am saving $ for studs and am interested in opinions as to whether spending $ on H&A rather than Whiteflash''s Expert Selection is wise. Is the difference between the two noticeable? Am I paying for the name H&A? I want to get studs that I will keep forever, as I am not someone who likes to up-grade.

Thanks for your 2 cents.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
It really is a matter of personal preference. I know I''m not going to upgrade and wanted the most perfect pair for me and I chose ACA from Whiteflash that are F VS which many here would say is overkill. Others are perfectly happy with the WF expert selection- there is no wrong choice. It''s just what''s in the budget. Perhaps you''d like to check out the "Show me your diamond studs" started by diamondseeker.
1.gif

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info and reference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for mentioning the thread, Lisa!

That thread started because I was trying to decide what I wanted in studs! I had a pair of not-so-great studs, and I wanted to get some that I''d be happy with forever! I thought it would help people to see different size stones on the ear. In the long run, I decided the ACA''s were worth it to me, because I also did not want to upgrade them, and I knew I might have regrets if I didn''t go ahead and get the best. My new ones are posted in Show Me the Ring now..called something like "My perfect diamond studs..." I will say, however, that any ideal cut stones would be lovely, I''m sure!

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the info diamondseeker. I must say your studs are perfect.
30.gif
I am going to wait a little longer until I can get the ACAs. Also, thanks for all the great threads elsewhere on the site. I can''t believe how informative and nice everyone is on this forum - even on subjects that may seem old hand to a diamond expert.
36.gif

I am much appreciative.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I got WF's Expert Selection studs, and I must say that the light return on them are great. I think they would still be considered H&A by most vendors, as you can clearly see the arrows pattern. I just didn't want to pay that much extra for something people won't be having a close look at anyway, unlike an e-ring.

My studs, for the record are .38 and .39, H SI. they are completely eye clean and sparkle like crazy. They also look really white, no hint of color at all. In fact, after I got these studs, a friend of mine who was going for color and clarity is going to trade in her current pair of studs for bigger sizes, but lower in clarity and color.

I think the cut does matter, and I believe that the Expert Selection still pretty much falls into the H&A category, so I personally would go with that instead. The upgrade policy still applies, and if you're unhappy with the expert selection (which I highly doubt), you can always trade them up for ACAs in the future. Win-win situation; you'd probably get your studs earlier than you thought you could and for a cheaper price while saving money for an upgrade.

ETA: Sorry, somehow I skimmed right over your not wanting an upgrade. To be honest, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between ES and ACA. The arrows are still there in the ES stones, and a lot of times, they missed the ACA mark by a hair.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, bluehue! Be careful, this place is addictive! It is informative and a lot of fun, too!

And Cinderella is right, most could never tell a difference between ACA and ES stones visually. It was more a mental thing for me. I just didn''t want there to be any aspect that I could be sorry for later as I was with my last pair.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think top-o-the-line H&A is overkill for studs...but that''s just me...

widget

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I have been thinking about buying a pair of studs, too. Does anyone know if wf''s preset studs are ES? I think the ACA would be overkill for me but if I were buying larger ones I would probably go with the ACA.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I believe the preset ones are ES. But I don''t think those are eligible for the upgrade policy. I had considered those because they were a bit cheaper than buy the stones separately and having them set, but not being able to upgrade turned me off of them.

If you are considering ES stones, I think it''s a safer bet to choose the stones yourself and have them set. That way, you''ll know exactly what you''re getting, and there''s not too much of a price difference. For me, the price difference between the presets and the ones I picked out on my own ultimately came out to be about $200. I''d pay that for peace of mind, and I must say that I am super happy about my earrings now, especially since I know I can upgrade them once I have the funds to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results