shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Groundshog Day a thing where you are?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in Pennsylvania and now live there so Groundshog Day was always a big deal in school and we’d talk about Phil and the spring predictions.

I was wondering if folk in other states care or are even that aware of it or is it just a PA thing?

Anyways, happy Groundshog Day! Looks like 6 more weeks of winter according to Phil.

2A54C97A-5BD8-4197-9E40-5228F585B3CF.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and Punxsutawney Phil was always a big news story!
And we all talked about 6 more weeks of winter.
Such a funny local tradition!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is Groundshog Day a thing where you are?​

Not at my house.
Where we live it averages 0 inches of snow per year.

Being a science guy I wouldn't know or give a crap, but the multitudes of reason-challenged folks right here in Southern California may have faith in some summer-smog-predicting rodent. :rolleyes:
Makes as much sense as a snow-predicting one.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's Greg's and my favorite occasion. We love groundhogs. I don't agree with picking them up to try to see if there is more winter or not (hog wash lol get it) but nevertheless we adore them. So freaking cute. :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah at this point I’d like to believe nobody takes Phil’s predictions too seriously. I think it’s been studied and debunked.

That being said I think there are types of animal behaviors that are predictive of weather/season phenomenon so it’s not a totally wacky genre of idea. Insects and animals are still mysterious in many ways. The 17yr cicada swarm this year for example, I still don’t think we have a definitive understanding of how that is timed and coordinated but it’s impressive (and gross if you don’t like millions of flying bugs).

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I'm in Ontario, Canada and we have Wiarton Willie.
Willie says we will have an early spring (which where I live would still be at least 6 more weeks of winter).
Groundhog's Day is covered by the local newspapers and radio stations, although I don't recall discussions in school about it.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s always a “thing” here in IL. I elementary school, they will use it in math classes to talk about percentages, etc. (Class will get to vote the day before). I just saw this post while scrolling through FB... a local (non-commercial) baker did this!
45F04072-D871-411F-90A9-0780F77120A7.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are not too far away from PA in CT and our first grader had assignments about Groundhog Day. He had to predict whether the groundhog would see his shadow and watch a video about them, he got a big kick out of it.

We have groundhogs under our shed and it’s so cute in late spring/early summer to see them out in the yard eating the grass.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pittsburgher here! :wavey:

Phil's prediction was taken like gospel in my house growing up, LOL.

Matata posted a funny meme on this yesterday. I don't want to seal her thunder so hopefully she'll pop in here and put it up again.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Ontario, Canada and we have Wiarton Willie.
Willie says we will have an early spring (which where I live would still be at least 6 more weeks of winter).
Groundhog's Day is covered by the local newspapers and radio stations, although I don't recall discussions in school about it.

Hahah what kind of animal is Willie?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata posted a funny meme on this yesterday. I don't want to seal her thunder so hopefully she'll pop in here and put it up again.

I grew up in Pittsburgh! I miss the Carnegie museums! And yeah in elementary school we would have Phil related projects every Groundshog day!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in Pittsburgh! I miss the Carnegie museums! And yeah in elementary school we would have Phil related projects every Groundshog day!

I miss the 'Burgh. I've been away too long. When I hear someone speak with the Pittsburgh accent I get all verklempt

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I live not far from where they filmed some of 'Groundhog Day', and in the Chicago area--Groundhog Day is a thing.
Even though we Midwesterners know how ridiculous it is to think that winter could end on February 2nd. Preposterous.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
In my area, there was often mention of Groundhog Day, but not much of a fuss.
Anyway, at the beginning of February, where I live, we will ALWAYS have at least 6 more weeks of winter! :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ha! Didn’t know you were a fellow Pennsylvanian ! Philly here!
No Groundhog Day here in a Chicago where I am but paczki day next week is Huge!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Willie is a groundhog. There is one in Quebec, too, but I forget its name.

His name is Fred la Marmotte. (marmotte is groundhog in French)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Balzak Billy (Alberta).

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results