shape
carat
color
clarity

Is breakfast in bed romantic enough?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

waytoblue

Rough_Rock
So, I need the ladies'' opinions.

My girlfriend and i have been together for two years and have been living together for over a year. Around the time we moved in together i lost a silly bet about some friends of ours. The deal was: whoever lost the bet had to make breakfast in bed for the other. Now I''m NOT much of a cook at all and remarkably she still loves me even though i never made her breakfast in bed.

So, I was thinking that following through with that promise would be a nice way to propose. What do you think?

I have a couple of concerns. She''s not a deep sleeper and i''m not a good cook ... this could result in a lot of waiting around on her part and pretty crappy meal to accompany the proposal. That hardly seems romantic! Also, it seems a bit odd to me to propose in the morning ... it''s hardly the dark, sexy atmosphere that most people think of.

What are your thoughts?

AND what do you do when your girl wants you to ask her parents first but you don''t trust them to keep it to themselves till you get the chance to ask?

Thanks.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ask her parents the day before you propose... then they won''t have to hold it in too long.

As for breakfast in bed, who says it has to be in the morning. Bring home dinner, but have it be breakfast -- belgum waffles or eggs or crepes... whatever. Tell her you''re giving her a special night, get her to go to bed and bring in the ''breakfast.'' You could put the ring in a glass of champagne or something.

OR.... don''t make her breakfast. Just put the ring on a plate and bring her a tray with the plate on it and some champagne and take her out to breakfast afterwards...

Shay

Shiny_Rock
I like morning proposals, it leaves you the whole day to spend together afterwards. You can always buy something ready made for breakfast. Fruit and yoghurt, english muffins, croissants etc. I think it''s a lovely idea.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Newfeeflip proposed to his girlfriend in bed in late January. From all accounts, it went very well. Having heard back later from his now fiancee, she thought it was their most romantic moment ever. He put many personal touches into the proposal to make it so special.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you guys have for breakfast that needs expert cooking ?
2.gif

The idea sounds awesome to me - especially since this would be a first and the "treat" could be easily replicated later as a reminder of the special first time.

Starting the day on such a happy note would be very nice - it just leaves allot of time to enjoy. Just ake sure it is not the morning of a bussy work day.
5.gif

Just my 0.2, of course.
10.gif

waytoblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. I think the morning is what i''m going to do ... it has special meaning. Just have to make sure she''s truly awake and not groggy or grumpy as you''ve all warned in other postings.

To really add a kick to the proposal, I''m thinking of doing it on a Saturday morning and then taking her away for the weekend in the afternoon. Surprise weekend to NY or Miami or something like that. Might be too busy or too rushed though. She might want to spend the time telling family and friends instead of rushing through airports.

Just kicking around ideas right now.

Sadly, i can''t speak Portuguese or play the guitar!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2005 4:4:4 PM
Author: waytoblue

Sadly, i can''t speak Portuguese or play the guitar!
Is she Portughese ? I don''t think you have to go that far out of your ways... stunts are just cute, a wonderful red rose (or some) can hardly go wrong
12.gif
- some things just belong to proposals as much as the ring.

waytoblue

Rough_Rock
No, not Portuguese, just a reference to Newfeeflip''s proposal which was referenced earlier and was a pretty elaborate version of the "breakfast in bed" proposal. Mine will be simpler, out of necessity
30.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Hello Waytoblue,

It will not take much to make this moment special. By their nature, proposals are special no matter how simple or elaborate. Ana is right - the rest of the stuff is window dressing. Just make sure you are comfortable with your plan. This is such a great way to start your day!

My proposal was very simple. I later found out that it was to be more elaborate. This summer I am off to London on a business trip, and my now fiance is to come with me. We are planning on taking a trip to Wales after the work has been completed, and he was planning to do something elaborate there (a stay at a castle and some other stuff). We were discussing some of the trip details while we were doing up the supper dishes and enjoying a bottle of wine. He could not contain his excitement at that moment, so he asked. It was perfect! I''m really glad it happened at home in a private situation. I am happier still that he was excited about proposing.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Hey you guys! Hi Gale! I''m back! I can''t believe it''s been almost 2 months now since I got engaged. I think the morning proposal was the best thing for me to do, but it might not be something for everyone.

Waytoblue...I proposed the morning of our trip down south...yes it was a little rushed, but it was exciting. Some of her family got to see the ring, people called her on the phone, we got to see my parents...it was rushed, but the proposal made the trip even better. It wasn''t the turbulence on the plane that made my fiancee sick, but her head bobbing up and down to look at her finger! (She didn''t get sick by the way). I thought about the breakfast in bed, but I didn''t do it since she''s not the type that likes to eat first thing in the monring. You could just pick up something from a bakery which is what Gale thought of.

I did the guitar and Portuguese thing because it just felt right. The proposal is definately defined by the type of people you are. My girlfriend likes romantic stuff and simple stuff. I''m not that much of a romantic, but I wanted to show her how I felt by doing things she wouldn''t expect. Yes, it was elaborate, but it''s a once in a lifetime thing.

You get the whole day to celebrate and talk which is what I liked. And then going on a trip, it was only the two of us and we got to soak it all in without our family and friends. It was a great start to our vacation.

Well good luck with it all. It will be fine whatever you choose to do.

waytoblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks New, and congrats on your engagement.

I think i will make mine the morning/breakfast thing, though i''m thinking it''ll end up being more like brunch and a lazy morning in bed where she doesn''t have to do anything. I think the trip might be a bit much for us right now only because we''re both leading extremely hectic lives so adding rush when being able to relax and chill might be a better way to go.

I''ll let you all know how it goes, when it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results