shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Bluenile overpriced

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

back_to_future

Rough_Rock
I have been trying to get a diamond for engagement ring and have learned a great deal from this forum. After some intense search, I picked two diamonds for my final decision. One is from Bluenile and the other is from USAcerteddiamonds. When I brought both stones to my appraiser to get appraised, my appraiser told me that the bluenile stone is way overpriced. I trust his opnion, however I still want to get a third pair (maybe more) of eyes to look at them. Here are the stones and their prices. Please offer your comments. Which is better stone? Which is better deal? Thanks in advance.

Bluenile - $7026
Carat weight: 1.02
Cut: Signature Princess
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 68.8%
Table %: 67%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Crown Height: 9.7%
Fluorescence: None
Rated as 1A according to AGA chart

USAcerted - $6600
Carat weight: 1.17
Cut: Princess
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 69.8%
Table %: 68%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick
Culet: None
Crown Height: 14.4%
Fluorescence: None
Rated as 2B according to AGA chart (due to the thick crown)
A note on this one: although the diamond is only rated 2B, it looks better than the bluenile one with naked eyes and under ideal scope. All the other spec would quality this stone as 1A except the thick crown. What a thick crown means in terms of cut quality? The only thing I can think off is to make the stone look smaller than it supposed to be. Does it also have impact on the brilliance of the stone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know too much about princess cuts but isnt a 9.7% crown REALLY shallow??

In general Blue Nile is more expensive than your average online vendor that is discussed on here. They are more of a mainstream seller that caters to the general public. If you compare their average price per carat, you will see that you can almost always get a better deal using one of the Pricescope vendors or the ones that people discuss on here.

Especially for the Signature Blue Nile cuts, you pay a premium for their brand.

barry

Shiny_Rock
back;

Evaluating Princess Cuts solely on the "numbers"
is meaningless.

We'll be coming out soon with a page showing you why.

In the meantime,since you've already seen both of these stones,
go with the one that appeals to you.

Barry
superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results