shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an I-colour too yellow for a white gold setting?

Punn

Rough_Rock

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! I would not be worried to put an I color diamond in a WG pave setting. I have an I color and it faces up pretty white.

In the pic it’s next to E/F melee.

033BE3BF-245E-47A2-A7FF-FC47E4956474.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't worry about it at all! Looks pretty!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Three things about D-Z color.

1. Diamonds are graded for color face down where light return has no influence. Not face up where cut quality can raise or lower the appearance of the body color. And you don't wear diamonds face down when set. You wear them face up set. A given diamond may face up differently than its color grade, depending on its cut-quality. In fact the reason fancy-colored diamonds are graded face-up is because cutters work to ‘trap’ the color inside using certain angles. What that means is that poorly chosen angles can make an H face-up more like an I-J. And well chosen angles, along with 3D precision, can get light in and out more efficiently, making an I-J face up more like an H.

2. Color occurs on a sliding scale. The lower you go, the broader the range that fits into that scale. So where DEFs are very similar to each other the difference between a ‘high I color’ and a ‘low J color’ can be dramatic, but a ‘low I color’ and ‘high J color’ might be indistinguishable from each other.

3. See item #1 again. Honestly. This has tremendous impact.

The concept of color grade differences can also be a bit exaggerated in forum discussion.

Have you ever gotten one of those HUGE paint fan decks? Where there are literally 100s of colors of whites? And when they are RIGHT next to each other you can TOTALLY tell that one is bluer/colder and one is a bit warmer and which one is one is TOTALLY warmer. There's one that's slightly greener. One that's slightly pinker? But really, they are all “white”. Then you pick one after agonizing over this white or that white and when it's on the walls and people are like: "Oh. You painted again. And it's STILL white. Great." It's like that. And you're all... BUT it's BLUE white. Or it's a WARM white now. It used to be ____ white. It's TOTALLY different.You are talking about shades of white. E is colder... H is warmer and J warmer still. But it's all white.

H, I, J and even K (well-cut) can all be beautiful in white metal. Do not worry about that. All the diamond colors you are looking at are essentially white. If you are worried about color, again, the best thing to do is to concentrate on buying the diamond with the best light transmission intensity. Optimal cutting gets light in and out of a diamond on short ray paths. They don’t bounce around in the diamond illuminating the tint present. This makes them reliably face up whiter than the grade assigned at the lab.
This is a K in white metal! An H will look great, don’t worry.
IMG_1416.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Layla’s paint strip analogy.

An I wouldn’t be too tinted for me on any metal.

Have you or the wearer seen well cut GIA or AGS G-J color stones in person?

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
An I color has very little yellow in it. When stands alone it will look white.
The color stands out if the side diamonds
will be whiter so the ideal solution is to ask JA to put I colored side diamonds

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The mounting shows a lot of the side view of the stone so you will see the warmth from the sides.
Have you thought about going with platinum?... 14k white gold is very bright white and I’m afraid there will be too much contrast. Platinum will be a little warmer and I think a better pairing with an I color. I agree with what’s been said that you should make sure the mounting’s diamonds are a good color match so that all the little accenr stones are not markedly more colorless.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see some pave settings with I colored stones here (link below). Putting an I in that setting would not bother me. You may see the tint from the
side but in general should face up fairly white/bright. Smaller pave always look whiter (even if the same color). Its the nature that they too
small to see color in vs a larger stone (1.27) where you may be able to see some color occasionally.

https://www.jamesallen.com/diamond-...=263&MetalType=w&MinPrice=100&MaxPrice=999999

If you are color sensitive and it would bug you to EVER see any tint then I would go higher than an I. I'm not color sensitive and there are many
lovely "I" colored large stones on PS that I would love to own!

Sunnybopeep

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

I have an I colored stone in a white gold solitaire setting (no pave), and the only time I noticed a slight tinge of yellowness was when put right next to a white gold + F color melee diamond band. I’m not too color sensitive but not completely insensitive either. The tint bothered me so little that I decided to go for the F colored diamond band as it didn’t make my ering diamond look as “yellow” as I had feared.
(I do have a picture of my ring with this band if you’d like to see.)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As you could infer from my previous post, I think an I shows tint. I say this from personal experience having previously owned an I.
To me, there is a big jump from H to I. I know there are others that disagree and I respect their views but I guess the point coming on to PS is to get feedback and then you can make the most informed decision based on what’s best for you.
With that said, you came to this forum seeking info on the color because you were having concerns about the I.
What I’m sharing is based on owning 5 diamonds over the course of the past 30 years: .86 emerald cut H color (still own), 1.01 marquise D color, 1.51 round H color, 2.01 round E color (still have), and a 3.29 round I color.
Additionally, I currently have a pair of Old European Cut diamond stud earrings 1.62 tcw in K color, and also currently have a pair of round brilliant diamond studs 5.3 tcw G color (yes, their ginormous... inherited from grandmother).
Hence, I’ve had a lot of experience with a variety of colors. I see you are concerned or you wouldn’t have brought it up so with that in mind and since you have not yet purchased the diamond (as far as I know, things may have changed but I would assume you can still switch) you might want to see if you can find an H color.
I say this because then I feel you will not have anything to be concerned with. Then you can get the regular “stock” mounting which I would imagine is probably in H color as I believe that H colored diamonds are the most widely purchased (I apologize that I did not check for that info).
If you have to request a color for the mounting’s diamonds other than their usual it could incur an upcharge, do inquire.
If a platinum mounting is cost prohibitive, you will be much safer in the 14k white with an H but I would still recommend going with platinum as the combo of an H in plat will definitely appear not tinted.
This is my only issue with buying online... you aren’t in a room in person where they can show you an assortment of stones in various colors so you can compare. Personally, I don’t feel like the time to compare is when it’s already on her finger and she’s sitting amongst friends and family and notices the warmth as compared to other people’s rings.
But, just based on the visual you can see online for that particular diamond,, the color hit me immediately. You could possibly go into a local jewelry store and ask them to show you some diamonds in various colors (under the pretense that you are shopping for diamonds, not that you’ve already found one, of course!). But that is not a guarantee because each diamond will take on its own look (I just considered a knock out AGS 0 that was graded as G and was very warm and that was a super ideal but that may have been one of the loosely AGS graded ones we’ve been hearing about)... so lots to think about, but at least it will give you a GENERAL idea, just keep in mind each particular stone may vary depending on lab where it was graded and also each stone has its own “personality”. But I feel you can count on a GIA graded color being consistent; the AGS graded ones I don’t have as much faith with regard to consistency, not just based on my personal experience with one stone I considered, but also what I’ve read here on PS from others.
You’ve received a lot of input here which is what you came for. So even if you stick with your original plan of the I color set in the white 14kt mounting you will have done your due diligence and should feel more confident about your decision.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE: I jusr checked info on mounting and it’s stones are G-H.

I also just looked at the diamond again - I am not sure how others aren’t seeing the overall tint of this AGS stone. Even just barely turning the stone you see the color on the table and crown, not just further down in the pavilion.

I recognize that others have shared that their I diamonds have not been of issue to them but you aren’t contemplating buying their diamonds, you are contemplating purchasing this particular stone and it should be assessed on a case by case basis.

With that in mind, and if you don’t feel you can go to an H in your cost parameters, why don’t you tell them your concern and ask them to show you other I stones as maybe this particular one just happens to be a bit warmer as far as I graded ones are concerned. This will help you further refine your decision.

Sunnybopeep

Rough_Rock
I agree that the op might consider looking at different I’s with similar specs or an H if s/he is worried about the color of the stone with the white gold. I took a second look at the video, and it does have a yellow tint when face up around the edges and definitely from the side.

While I don’t mind the color, op is most likely looking for the “white stone in white metal” look. So, I would have to agree with @headlight . Mine is a GIA graded I, and I overlooked that this was an AGS graded I.

Pretty stone, though.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My "I" is in a platinum setting and doesn't look yellow to me ever

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently upgraded to an I and face up it's 100% white; I can see tint from certain angles but I am color sensitive. If funds were unlimited I would probably go to a G, but the I does not bother me enough to pony up more money at this point :)Again- this is coming from someone who is color sensitive and could see tint in the H I used to own.

Punn

Rough_Rock
I can't thank everyone here enough on the wealth of information that you have all provided. I went back and looked at the diamonds and I do see a considerable about of I so I'd be lying to myself. I started searching online and found G colour that I liked...unfortunately I found an 'I' at the same time and can't help looking at both critically. Although both of this I DOES not look as yellow. Any thoughts (both are on hold):

1.337 ct G SI1 Expert Selection Round Cut Loose Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4089369.htm
Depth % 61.9
Table % 56.4
Crown Angle 34.7
Star 54.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle % 76.0
7.03x7.06x4.36 mm

1.385 ct I VS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4095764.htm
Depth % 61.7
Table % 57.0
Crown Angle 34.4
Star 48.0
Pavilion Angle 40.7
Crown % 14.7
Lower Girdle % 76.0
7.12x7.14x4.4 mm

Both are the same price and at my budget limit!

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Both of those diamonds are gorgeous. You can always call Whiteflash and have them give you an opinion on the comparison between the two. I have a K set in Platinum. It was originally in white gold and I could definitely see the tint. In Platinum, it's what LaylaR called a warm white or also I've heard creamy white but I never see yellow tint from above and rarely from the sides. I don't think an I is going to skew as warm as that but rather a nice medium between cool and warm (neutral?) from above and definitely white.

nholagi

Rough_Rock
@Punn look for my post. I'm just engaged and the ring we bought is a AGS J color. hope it helps :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results