shape
carat
color
clarity

IRISH Honeymoon -- What To DO??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2007 12:31:14 PM
Author: NYCsparkle

Date: 4/21/2007 9:55:43 PM
Author:decodelighted
So ... it''s Ireland in May for the belated Deco-moon. A week ... flying into Shannon, flying out of Dublin.

Any advice would be mega-welcome ... as the guides have left us more confused than inspired! We''d mostly like to just chill & enjoy the Irish lifestyle & scenery but also wanna make sure we don''t miss the TOP TEN TO DO''s. (Or at least the TOP FIVE.)

HELP!!!
well it is your honeymoon...#1 would be do the deed in a patch of 4 leaf clovers. lol jk
9.gif
....kiss the blarney stone and tour the countryside...its beautiful.
I don''t think Deco needs to kiss the stone...my guess is that she already has the gift of gab!
1.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys for all the welcomes!
9.gif

Poor Limerick has a bad name but I spent seven years there and I have a real soft spot for the place. And as BF will be there another year we think, I''m going to be continuing to spend my weekends there for the foreseeable!

Date: 4/23/2007 3:47:29 AM
Author: bee*
No prob-hate to be the one to say it also, but the damn irish weather has returned! Where''s the sun gone!!

I know! I had the wipers going ninety all the way up from Limerick this morning! At least it''s not cold though and the forecast says rain will be gone tomorrow
1.gif

Deco, before we get you too depressed with our moaning about the weather (it''s a national pastime!), it really should be nice and mild in May and you probably won''t have rain more than a couple of days. You may even get sunshine the whole time, you never know!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s what we did -- maybe not quite in order but basically we flew into Dublin and slowly made out way west to Shannon, where we ended our trip.

My boyfriend and I went to Ireland for a friend''s wedding three years ago. We flew into Dublin the day before the wedding. We spent 2 nights at a hotel near the ceremony and then drove (the day after the wedding) to Dublin for another 2 nights. From there, we drove west to Galway for 3 nights. We stayed at a B&B right near Claddagh Quay (pronounced "Key"). We then drove down to Shannon and went to Bunratty Castle. In my opinion, Bunratty is very touristy and the feast you can attend is a little overrated. Friends of ours loved it but I thought it was a little cheesy.

We were going to take a bus tour in Galway but we ended uo getting a map with the bus route on it and we chose instead to drive ourselves. We loosely followed the same route. We drove through Connemara and we went to Kylemore Abbey. I highly recommend going to the abbey.

We drove to Doolin went to the Cliffs of Mohr. To me, it felt like we had driven to the end of the world. Amazing! Definitely a must see. We stayed at the Ballyvara House and I''d stay there again in a second. It was the only hotel we stayed at -- the rest were B&Bs.

B&Bs are great and cozy, but be prepared for a lack of privacy. DEFINTELY ask for an ensuite (a bathroom in your room), otherwise you maybe sharing a bathroom with fellow travelers.

We also went to the Aran Islands for one day (not an overnight). We actually only went to one island but I forget which one. I''ll have to dig our photo album out.

One thing to keep in mind -- mo matter what they say, it takes roughly twice as long to get anywhere than they tell you. From Dublin to Galway, we were told it takes 1.5 hours. No way! It took 3 hours, easily!

It''s hard to be in a hurry so just relax, take your time, and enjoy the sights. Half (maybe more?) of the fun is enjoying the journey and take in as much as you can. Just when you think, "this is the most beautiful place in the world," you''ll notice something else or arrive at another destination and think, "this is the most beautiful place in the world."
1.gif

I haven''t read all the posts yet, so I may be repeating a few things. I''m going to read the rest of the thread now and see what else I can come up with.

We''d love to go again and see the Ring of Kerry and the southern part of Ireland. My boyfriend really wants to go to the northern part (Donnegal) and northern Ireland.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 10:14:34 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Oh my god Deco...where do I start. Ireland is one of my fav countries in the world.

From Shannon, I drove straight to Galway. Crash course in driving on the left and roundabouts all at the same time. Galway is a bigger city, but a fun place to start before getting into the smaller towns with more quaint charm.

Doolin is a great jumping point for the Cliffs of Moher. I wasn''t totally awe''d by them, being from California (as we have great coastal scenery here) but it''s probably on a list of top 10s for most who visit Ireland.

Doolin is a tiny town. The famed Gus O''Connors pub is there, and probably is a tourist trap, but I had a ball there anyway.

I chose Dingle and Slea head drive over the Ring of Kerry. The reason is the tour buses cannot do slea had drive. The ring is filled with buses and you will find the roads are narrow in Ireland. Rent a car...I think it''s a must. Also a Michelin''s map, and know that it will take 3 times longer to get somewhere than you think. You can do Connor''s pass into Dingle for a real hair raising drive (road it narrow and nothing to hinder a very deep plunge off a cliff). In Dingle, there was a lovely b&b called Greenmount House that had awesome breafkasts. Heaton House is also well reviewed. Check tripadvisor for the latest reviews.

Lots of people love towns on the Ring, like Killarney and such.

In the south, Kinsale was nice.

Other notable places are Dromoland castle where you can stay. Kissing the blarney stone is a tourist thing (I didn''t go there). I chose to concentrate on the west/southwest so I didn''t go to Dublin, but I hear that the Guinness tour is overrated as you don''t get to actually see the brewery. I hear the waterford tour is cool and Jamesons as well.

You''ll have to drink Guinness of course, but Smithwick''s (pronounced ''smiddicks'' or something like that) is also good. Soda bread. Mussels. Yum.

Lots of great craic to be had in Ireland. Slainte!!!
I thought the same thing! I mean, the cliffs are amazing, but for some reason, they didn''t do it for me like I thought they would. That''s funny, I thought I was the only one who would think that.
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, PLEASE don''t skip Galway! Dublin is fun but very touristy. Galway is such a great small city and there''s a beach to walk along and, well, it was one of my all-time favorite places. I forgot to mention, if you go to Galway, make sure you go to Siamsa (pronounced "Shame-sa"). You''ll see dancing, hear folk tales, music, etc. The building where the performances are are right on Claddagh Quay.

This was one of my favorite things also.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So come on girl, what''s your itinerary? Have you looked at B&Bs yet? Inquiring minds!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 4:57:58 PM
So come on girl, what''s your itinerary? Have you looked at B&Bs yet? Inquiring minds!

HAAAAA! I''ve been calling in sick to travel planning. Flat on my back since Monday night -- but getting better little by little.

Anyone else have a COLD from HELL?? Plus seasonal allergies? Charming combo. *sniff*

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
hope you feel better soon deco! Now get back to that travel planning
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 4:46:47 PM
Author: bee*
hope you feel better soon deco! Now get back to that travel planning
3.gif
ditto!

Carlosthejakal

Rough_Rock
Hi Decodelighted,
I am from Dublin so I think I can gve you afew pointers, Ireland as a country is beautiful you can''t really go wrong anywhere in the west of ireland Galway, Cork , Mayo. lots of great places, try lookwest.ie, There are loads of places you should go if you have time Aran Islands, Achill.

My area of expertise is Dublin so I will stick to that.
If you are into Sights, architecture n stuff, try St Patricks Cathedral, Christ Church, Trinity College ( Book of Kells ) Guinness Hop Store free pnt at the end
for tourists bars and restaurants anywhere in temple bar but Oliver st John Gogartys, The Temple Bar pub, but be warned you won''t meet many Irish here ass prices are expensive .

There are 2 main shopping streets in Dublin Henry st & Grafton st everywhere is within 10 mins walking distance. Henry st has lots of nice lower end shops H&M etc
Grafton st is more upmarket with Brown Thomas ( all designers under one store Prada Fendi Gucci etc. )

For drinking anywhere on Dawson st is great Samsara, Ron Blacks, Cafe en Seine nice bars good crowd.
Restaurants are a funny one for lunch any of the little coffee shops off grafton st are lovely Boulevard Cafe is great on wicklow st.
My favoutite affordable are Sixty Six , Yamamori on georges st.

I suppose it depends on your likes and dislikes but let me know and i will fill you in. Just send me a mail.
oh it doesn''t matter where in the world i have gone its always the company that makes it special.

Carlos

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
deco, i''ve never been to Ireland but have read lots about it in Nora Roberts books
41.gif
. I''m Irish though and want to go. Hubby and I have talked about going for our 10 year anniversary which isn''t for another 3 years but I''d like to do something special and I think that might be it. i''ll have to check on how the weather is in sept. though..we might have to celebrate our 10 1/2 years and go in May if it''s better then. I can''t wait to see how you end up planning your trip and i hope you''ll take pics and report back to us when you get home...

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Deco, I''m sorry to hear you''ve been ill and I hope you''re feeling much better this week and that you''re able to recommence the planning! [Insert smilie
1.gif

If you''re interested in the theatre show that zoebartlett mentioned (Siamsa) it might be useful to know there''s also a Siamsa theatre in Tralee that comes very highly recommended by the natives. I never actually knew there was one in Galway! You may need to email them before you go though, the shows book up very quickly with the tour buses and the local school groups [Insert smilie
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoo-hoo!!! I''m back & PLANNING!!! (finally -- don''t get me started about my COLD
38.gif
)

THANKS SO MUCH for all the great advice during my absence from the thread!!! Here''s the new & improved??? plan ...

DAY 1 -- arrive SHANNON 8am, drive to KINSALE (96m/2:12hrs) -- visit & stay in KINSALE
DAY 2 -- drive KINSALE to KENNMARE (75m/2hrs), visit KENNMARE (12-4), drive to DINGLE (64m/2.5h)
DAY 3 -- day in DINGLE
DAY 4 -- drive DINGLE to DOOLIN/CLIFFS OF MOHER (145m/4:15hrs), visit both (1-5pm), drive to GALWAY (50/1:45)
DAY 5 -- day in GALWAY
DAY 6 -- drive GALWAY to DUBLIN (135m/3hrs), visit & stay in DUBLIN
DAY 7 -- morning in DUBLIN, airport at 2pm, flight at 5pm

The "busy" days are every other day ... we end up in 4 different B&Bs but I *think* it''s doable.

THOUGHTS??

Could use lodging suggestions for KINSALE (B&B) and DUBLIN (our coupon book''s B&Bs there are lame -- we might just book a hotel instead). Have to look back -- I think Travelinggal had one for KINSALE. Hmmmm..

** we actually investigated changing our tickets to leave from SHANNON also -- & avoid Dublin altogether -- but it would be VERY costly to do so ... & I think DH will like Dublin -- he loves London & I hear there are similarities. (I prefer the country & little funky towns etc -- except for Paris HA!)

Getting excited!!!
9.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 9:55:43 PM
Author:decodelighted
So ... it''s Ireland in May for the belated Deco-moon. A week ... flying into Shannon, flying out of Dublin.

Any advice would be mega-welcome ... as the guides have left us more confused than inspired! We''d mostly like to just chill & enjoy the Irish lifestyle & scenery but also wanna make sure we don''t miss the TOP TEN TO DO''s. (Or at least the TOP FIVE.)

HELP!!!
Get pissed at every pub you pass by? Orrrrr, what about going Pony Trekking? As a rider, it''s always been my dream to go pony trekking in Ireland...I know they have horses for all levels of riders...think about it, riding through the countryside, stopping at pubs for meals. Lovely!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like a blast! Hope you feel better soon.
12.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 7:50:03 PM
Author: decodelighted
Whoo-hoo!!! I''m back & PLANNING!!! (finally -- don''t get me started about my COLD
38.gif
)

THANKS SO MUCH for all the great advice during my absence from the thread!!! Here''s the new & improved??? plan ...

DAY 1 -- arrive SHANNON 8am, drive to KINSALE (96m/2:12hrs) -- visit & stay in KINSALE
DAY 2 -- drive KINSALE to KENNMARE (75m/2hrs), visit KENNMARE (12-4), drive to DINGLE (64m/2.5h)
DAY 3 -- day in DINGLE
DAY 4 -- drive DINGLE to DOOLIN/CLIFFS OF MOHER (145m/4:15hrs), visit both (1-5pm), drive to GALWAY (50/1:45)
DAY 5 -- day in GALWAY
DAY 6 -- drive GALWAY to DUBLIN (135m/3hrs), visit & stay in DUBLIN
DAY 7 -- morning in DUBLIN, airport at 2pm, flight at 5pm

The ''busy'' days are every other day ... we end up in 4 different B&Bs but I *think* it''s doable.

THOUGHTS??

Could use lodging suggestions for KINSALE (B&B) and DUBLIN (our coupon book''s B&Bs there are lame -- we might just book a hotel instead). Have to look back -- I think Travelinggal had one for KINSALE. Hmmmm..

** we actually investigated changing our tickets to leave from SHANNON also -- & avoid Dublin altogether -- but it would be VERY costly to do so ... & I think DH will like Dublin -- he loves London & I hear there are similarities. (I prefer the country & little funky towns etc -- except for Paris HA!)

Getting excited!!!
9.gif
Sounds doable...definitely better than your original. Just a note...there is nothing to see in Doolin. If you are not spending the night, or don''t stop by a pub (Gus O''Connors) and stay for the evening, I think it''s totally fine to skip it and head on straight to Galway.

Kinsale, I''d have to look up where I stayed. It was OK, but not my fave place. Dingle was where I recommended a B&B...Greenmount House. It still gets good reviews on trip advisor and it seems that John and Mary are still the propietors.

I doubt Greenmount House takes coupons though. The ones that are always booked don''t have to take them. Sometimes you can "upgrade" and pay extra at a place which will charge a small fee in addition to the coupon.

Where are you staying in Galway?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 12:43:35 AM
I think it's totally fine to skip it and head on straight to Galway. Where are you staying in Galway?

Good to know about Doolin ... we'll probably just do the Cliffs of Moher on the drive to Galway, spend more time there ...

Emailed some B&B's from our book tonight but don't have ANY places confirmed yet. YIKES! Dublin will probably be a hotel ... our plan's B&B choices are
14.gif
in that area.

HAD to add Kinsale back into the mix after speaking with one of my best friends -- she's sent every family member of hers to Kinsale, Dingle & our new addition - Kennmare. (Dingle is her fave)

ETA: Thanks for the Greenmount rec -- I emailed them too & asked about Vouchers+Upgrade $ so we'll see ..

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
your plan definitely sounds doable. If you are really stuck for b&b choices in galway, we stayed at the eyre square hotel back in Jan and it wasnt hugely expensive (or luxurious!!), but it did the job. Somewhere like Jury''s christchurch would be a good hotel in dublin. Its not massively expensive either but its right in the center-just a couple of minutes walk from everywhere.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 1:19:41 AM

Date: 5/3/2007 12:43:35 AM
I think it''s totally fine to skip it and head on straight to Galway. Where are you staying in Galway?

Good to know about Doolin ... we''ll probably just do the Cliffs of Moher on the drive to Galway, spend more time there ...

Emailed some B&B''s from our book tonight but don''t have ANY places confirmed yet. YIKES! Dublin will probably be a hotel ... our plan''s B&B choices are
14.gif
in that area.

HAD to add Kinsale back into the mix after speaking with one of my best friends -- she''s sent every family member of hers to Kinsale, Dingle & our new addition - Kennmare. (Dingle is her fave)

ETA: Thanks for the Greenmount rec -- I emailed them too & asked about Vouchers+Upgrade $ so we''ll see ..
Yeah, they just book out so far in advance. Try Heaton House too...they have had good reviews, but check the recent ones on tripadvisor.

Ardawn House is where I stayed in Galway. There are a ton of B&Bs on college row, of whatever it''s called.

In Kinsale I stayed at the Old Presbytery. http://www.oldpres.com/

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 1:49:43 PM
Try Heaton House too...they have had good reviews, but check the recent ones on tripadvisor.

Will do ... Greenmount didn''t take vouchers but we''re considering 1 night there anyway because our top voucher choice only has 1 night avail ... Hmmm. Waiting to hear back from Heaton House - looked nice.

COINCIDENTALLY I just put in a reservation request for Old Pres today -- it''s where my friend sent her parents & they liked it. We *have* to stay some non-voucher place that night anyway. You didn''t love it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 2:05:28 PM

Date: 5/3/2007 1:49:43 PM
Try Heaton House too...they have had good reviews, but check the recent ones on tripadvisor.

Will do ... Greenmount didn''t take vouchers but we''re considering 1 night there anyway because our top voucher choice only has 1 night avail ... Hmmm. Waiting to hear back from Heaton House - looked nice.

COINCIDENTALLY I just put in a reservation request for Old Pres today -- it''s where my friend sent her parents & they liked it. We *have* to stay some non-voucher place that night anyway. You didn''t love it?
Greenmount is worth it, but stay in one of their better rooms. It''s not posh and the owners not overly gushy, but it''s nice and convenient to everything. Heaton House is more out of the way, I think. Their best rooms have pretty views of Dingle Bay.

Old Pres is nice...nothing to complain about. I just didn''t like it as much as the others...I don''t know why. Kind of a funny story...the owners daughter and I got locked in my room. It was a funny little episode.

Anyway, I''d definitely stay there again. In my research a few years ago, one was one of the nicer B&Bs to stay in the area.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Deco, I think the new travel itinerary looks much better! I''m no help for accommodation suggestions in Kinsale or Dublin I''m afraid but you''ve got lots of useful suggestions here anyway...

Some good news - looks like the weather will hold out for you here
1.gif
When are you flying out?

And I''ve gotta say I love love love Surfgirl''s suggestion for ridin'' & relaxin''!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Deco,

Just wondering if you made it back and how your trip went. Any pics for us??

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the same today! Hope you had a great time Deco!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 3:34:11 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Just wondering if you made it back and how your trip went. Any pics for us??

You''re sweet to ask! Yes, we''re back & yes: have pix. The trip was amazing & I''m so grateful to all the folks who gave us such valuable advice!

Nutshell:

1) Fave town: Dingle
2) Best meal: John Dory at Vintage in Kinsale
3) Best dessert: Murphy''s Ice Cream in Dingle
4) Fave lodging: Greenmount House in Dingle
5) Best scenery: Slea Head Drive on the Dingle Peninusula
6) Wish I had more time in: Dublin, Kinsale, Dingle
7) Wish I had LESS time in: Galway
8) Fave Crystal: Dingle Crystal (designed by a Harley dude)... phooey to Waterford & Galway
9) Only woolen purchase: two knit caps
10) Most suprising moment: cut off on the road to our B&B by a flock of sheep
11) Most romantic moment: sunset picnic on our balcony in Dingle

We had unbelieveably sunny weather almost the entire time ... cool, but clear. And Decoshub took to "wrong side" driving instantly. (City driving - not so much :))

All in all a fabulous trip. HE already wants to plan a return. I''m *always* "where''s NEXT"??
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
View from a rocky hike we took along the Dingle Peninusula ... you can see a wee Decoshub wearing a green shirt in the distance.

ihike.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the livestock ...

icows.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of our best pictures ... snapped on a random bathroom break if you can believe!!

iplacid.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not quite jewelry ...

icladdah.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Purty port o''call ..

idingle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results