shape
carat
color
clarity

Iranian musicians face execution for playing heavy metal mus

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Members from an Iranian heavy metal band called Confess are facing multiple charges relating mostly to blasphemy which may incur punishment as serious as the death penalty. As someone who plays an instrument, to see this happen to people who are just wanting to express themselves saddens me immensely.

It's a constant reminder that we should be happy to have the freedom to express ourselves in our own countries. I've always viewed alternative music as a way for people to feel connected all over the world regardless of culture, so it saddens me to see someone I consider one of the worldwide heavy metal family facing such charges :(sad

http://www.metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/iranian-musicians-jailed-facing-possible-execution-for-playing-metal

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Iranian musicians face execution for playing heavy metal

Oh wow :blackeye:

and you're so right, about appreciating what we have...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1455267320|3990087 said:
Members from an Iranian heavy metal band called Confess are facing multiple charges relating mostly to blasphemy which may incur punishment as serious as the death penalty. As someone who plays an instrument, to see this happen to people who are just wanting to express themselves saddens me immensely.

It's a constant reminder that we should be happy to have the freedom to express ourselves in our own countries. I've always viewed alternative music as a way for people to feel connected all over the world regardless of culture, so it saddens me to see someone I consider one of the worldwide heavy metal family facing such charges :(sad

http://www.metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/iranian-musicians-jailed-facing-possible-execution-for-playing-metal

So upsetting Jordy. I agree that music is a way of connecting with people from different backgrounds and cultures so this makes it doubly tragic. And yes we should never take for granted the freedoms we have in our own countries.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow that's horrible. Such a stark contrast to what it's like here. Growing up I remember thinking how horrid the PMRC was and how lame that they had to start putting warning labels on covers and that they would censor the images. That's nothing compared to what others have to deal with, sadly, and something I never knew when I was 13. I was reading the comments (now granted, our kids came so I had to take my crazy over to the other room and haven't been on there since) and the first one on the page just really hit me hard. I hope they are able to get out of those charges.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jordy,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have so much freedom and so many rights. None of these should be taken for granted. Many lives have been lost gaining and maintaining our freedom and rights. Many still put their lives on the line today; fighting abroad so that the fight doesn't come closer to home, and fighting abroad to establish some level of freedom and rights in other countries.

There is, unfortunately, very little which can be done when foreign governments take action against their own citizens. That is not to say that there is nothing which we can do, just that there aren't many options.

My thoughts go out to these individuals, their loved ones, and others who are trying to bring about changes which we believe are appropriate. Of course, the foreign governments in some of these countries believe that their actions are appropriate. Or, perhaps they just don't care about the world response.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Banning music?
Executions?
Disgusting! :angryfire:

I do try to tolerate diversity, especially in other countries/cultures ... except when doing so is tolerating intolerance.
Then I call a spade a spade.

BBC is reporting another example of religion-backed oppression of an entire country and their citizens.
Pakistan's president has condemned Valentine's Day as immoral.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35570606

Partial Snip:

Pakistan's president has denounced St Valentine's Day, saying the festival has no connection with Pakistani culture and should be avoided.
President Mamnoon Hussain told students that it was a Western tradition and conflicted with Muslim culture.
His remarks came after a district in north-western Pakistan banned Valentine's Day celebrations.
Valentine's Day is popular in many cities in Pakistan, but religious groups have denounced it as decadent.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

There's a petition circling on change.org for the release of the musicians but to be honest it is probably a futile effort as I hardly think the Iranian government would take it seriously. I've been working with a band lately to record their album as their bassist departed just before they wrote their new material. One of the songs has had it's lyrics scrapped and the vocalist is re-writing them, it's her way of showing support. Apparently the song has been re-named 'Confess' after the band.

Kenny, that's sad to see as well. It makes me understand more and more why people try to seek asylum in a westernized country, the kind of freedoms we enjoy are a dream for some of those people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results