shape
carat
color
clarity

Invitation wording

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Seems like invitations are the order of the day. I think I have found the invitation I want. However, there is very limited spacing, and my mom and I really want to be able to add fiance''s parents'' names. It is doable, if I put the entire date on one line. Need advice if it would look ok. this is how it would be space

Mr. and Mrs. Bride''s Parents
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
Me to Mr. Fiance
son of Mr. and Mrs. Fiance''s Parents
Saturday, October Thirteenth, Two Thousand and seven---this is where I need the help, that just doesn''t look "right" to me
at three o''clock in the afternoon
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Atlanta, Georgia

Any suggestions?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you need the 'and'? That's what looks odd to me. I can't remember if I used it or not.

Saturday October Thirteenth, Two Thousand Seven

ETA: A quick google search turned up no consensus - saw it with the 'and', without the 'and' and even written as the number.
40.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Ours said "Saturday, the thirteenth of October, two thousand and seven". I hate the "and seven" also but that''s what was on all the other invitations we''ve seen. I don''t even think it''s proper english but it seems to be used on invitations.

staceybelle

Rough_Rock
The "Two Thousand and seven" is what looks strange to me. It seems that it should either be "two thousand and seven" or Two Thousand and Seven." Probably the first one.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... way back in high school I was taught that when writing a check, you only use "and" before a fraction, as in "two hundred and 25/100 (200.25)." Not sure if the same applies for thousands though.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are not supposed to use "and"...but do not know if that is a hard and fast rule.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
The "October Thirteenth" is bothering me a bit, but at the same time "Saturday, the thirteenth of October, Two thousand and seven" is a pretty long line.

I think how it would look depends on the dimensions of the invitation. Is this a pretty wide invitation? Like, square or a horizontal tea length? I think that the wider it is, the better longer lines look. Something like this looks fine to me.

Another alternative -- is the size of the invitation the issue, or the number of lines that the company allows? Our stationers had a limit, but you could pay a little for each extra line over the limit and they would accomodate you.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for everyone's advice!
The invitation that I like is from Carlson Craft, and it's called the Rio. It's an internet ensemble, so I would pay one price for everything. I have 9 lines to work with, and not having his parents' names on there is not an option.
I've attached a pic.
Do you all think that
"on Saturday, October thirteenth, two thousand and seven"
would be good enough?

invitation.jpg

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I think if you put the date all together on the invitation you posted, that line will be either as long as or longer than the line where your names are. If that is okay with you, go for it.

If it helps, I just posted my invites and I have the entire date and year on one line. However, my invitation is square-shaped. In any event you can take a look here and see what you think.
35.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Our invitation reads:

SATURDAY THE TWENTY-THIRD OF JUNE
TWO THOUSAND AND SEVEN

Two seperate lines. No comma after the Saturday.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 9:25:43 AM
Author: one
I think if you put the date all together on the invitation you posted, that line will be either as long as or longer than the line where your names are. If that is okay with you, go for it.

If it helps, I just posted my invites and I have the entire date and year on one line. However, my invitation is square-shaped. In any event you can take a look here and see what you think.
35.gif
Doh! I didn''t think of that, do you think that I could leave out the year? I haven''t seen it often, but I have seen it done.. would that be too confusing for people? But really, would people think that I was sending out invitations for an october that wasn''t this october?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 9:37:51 AM
Author: AmandaPanda
Our invitation reads:

SATURDAY THE TWENTY-THIRD OF JUNE
TWO THOUSAND AND SEVEN

Two seperate lines. No comma after the Saturday.
Yes, I think mine was on two separate lines as well. It looks better that way...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i had the date on two lines:

on Saturday, the eighteenth of November
Two thousand and six
at half pay one o’clock in the afternoon

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Ideally, I would like it on 2 lines, but with this set, I only have 9 lines to work with. Can''t pay for extra lines even if I wanted to.
So, in order to get his parents'' names on there, something has to give. The date is really the most flexible. So I may just leave the year off entirely.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Another option is to put the location/city and state on one line. Although I think typically these elements are on different lines as well. Would you consider a different invitation, in the same style as the one you like, that would give you more room to work with?

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
I would if I could find another one with the same coloring, within my budget, and that I actually like. A tougher combination than you would think =)
I never imagined that invitations would cause me so much grief!
25.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with you! Finding the *right* invite is sometimes a difficult task! I think I looked at every invitation posted on the net during my search. Maybe they can work with you to customize the invite that you want, maybe by adding another line. Can''t hurt to ask. In any case...good luck!
1.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
so you don't need the "and" in the year, or the "at" or "in the afternoon" on the time, but you should say "the thirteenth of October" instead of "October thirteenth". That leaves the date line really long if you put the year and date together. I like leaving off the year entirely. It might fall under the "in the afternoon" rule of its useless unless you are planning a 3 am wedding in which case you'd better specify morning. People should be able to assume the year. I think I like that better than messing up the visuals with an extra-long line.

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
Me to Mr. Fiance
son of Mr. and Mrs. Fiance's Parents
Saturday the thirteenth of October
Three O'Clock
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Atlanta, Georgia.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone for your input, it''s been really helpful in racking my brain.

My MOH, actually suggested taking "catholic" out of the church name, and combining location. Checked with the church, and it''s perfectly ok.
so the invite will read

Me to Mr. Fiance
on Saturday, the thirteenth of October
Sacred Heart Church • Atlanta, Georgia

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad you were able to get it figured out!

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, left out most of the invite wording out on the last post!

Me to Mr. Fiance
on Saturday, the thirteenth of October
Two thousand and seven
at three o''clock in the afternoon
Sacred Heart Church • Atlanta, Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results