shape
carat
color
clarity

Invitation Question

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

We got the first draft of our invitations today. I'm a little confused about something. So far, the response cards say:

The favour of your reply is requested by
April 25th, 2011

____reservation(s) held in your honour

M_____________________________________
____accepts with pleasure
____declines with regrets

Should it be "declines with regret"?? Or is "declines with regrets" proper? I feel like I've seen it both ways.

Also, is this first line of our invitation weird? And finally, what do you think of having our reception info on the invitation as opposed to on a separate response card?

TOGETHER WITH OUR PARENTS, WE

Alexa Nicole B______
&
Jason Randall P______

REQUEST THE HONOUR OF YOUR PRESENCE
AS WE EXCHANGE MARRIAGE VOWS
ON SATURDAY, THE TWENTY-FIRST OF MAY
TWO THOUSAND AND ELEVEN
AT HALF-PAST ONE O’CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON
OUR CHURCH
3535 ROCKY ROAD
ANYWHERE, OHIO

PLEASE JOIN US FOR THE RECEPTION
AT SIX O’CLOCK IN THE EVENING
OUR RECEPTION CENTER
123 SOME ROAD • CITY, OHIO

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you in advance!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Lets see...

I think "declines with regrets" plural is proper, but I too have seen it both ways. However, I just found this on another wedding board when I went hunting and thought it was interesting:

Something to think about that I read just this last week (just printed my own paper elements!):
Watch your subject-verb agreement. If you leave a line blank to fill in names, then “accepts with pleasure” only agrees with a single name (Kandace and Jason accepts with pleasure is incorrect.)
Because of this, we put “will attend with pleasure” and “must decline with regret.” I was an English minor, so verb tense and word usage always bother me when done improperly. HTH!

The first line of your invitation is a little untraditional - more often you see the invitation in third person. If you prefer it in the first person, then I think that wording is fine.

I would remove the "and" in your spelled out year - just "two thousand eleven". But that's just a preference of mine. :))

I think saving a bit of money (and a tree!) by putting the reception information on the invitation is perfectly fine!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1291782026|2790553 said:
Lets see...

I think "declines with regrets" plural is proper, but I too have seen it both ways. However, I just found this on another wedding board when I went hunting and thought it was interesting:

Something to think about that I read just this last week (just printed my own paper elements!):
Watch your subject-verb agreement. If you leave a line blank to fill in names, then “accepts with pleasure” only agrees with a single name (Kandace and Jason accepts with pleasure is incorrect.)
Because of this, we put “will attend with pleasure” and “must decline with regret.” I was an English minor, so verb tense and word usage always bother me when done improperly. HTH!

The first line of your invitation is a little untraditional - more often you see the invitation in third person. If you prefer it in the first person, then I think that wording is fine.

I would remove the "and" in your spelled out year - just "two thousand eleven". But that's just a preference of mine. :))

I think saving a bit of money (and a tree!) by putting the reception information on the invitation is perfectly fine!

I'm saving that wording for the response cards, SB! I have always been bugged by the "accepts" and "declines" because, for an engineer, I'm pretty picky about grammar!

Ditto on everything about 1st/3rd person (the more traditional way would be "Together with their parents, jaylex and future mr. jaylex request the honour of your presence as they exchange marriage vows...") and the saving of the trees! I've seen plenty of invites with the reception info on them.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies!!
I knew something was bugging me about the wording! I really don't like the fact that it's in first person. And I can't believe I didn't notice the "and" spelled out in the date... but I'm certain it would have bugged me when they actually came in!
I'm going to email her right away!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results