shape
carat
color
clarity

introduction!

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
Hello LIW's!

I've decided to come out of lurkdom (?) to join this wonderful group of ladies. My bf and I met in college and have been together for 3.5 years. I'm in grad school to get my M.Ed. due to graduate in July, and he is working full time. We've talked about marriage a lot (he brought it up pretty early in our relationship!) and I didn't think we would be seriously ready for the next step until our late 20s... but some recent events have made me think the "next step" might be coming sooner than I thought!

So, like most of us, I LOVE browsing engagement rings online. My bf, bless his heart, lets me show him all the settings I like without any traces of boredom or freaking out, and actually has taken a real interest in diamonds. So together, we've learned about the 4 C's, and he knows exactly what my taste is. :naughty: So this was fun for a while, and it was pretty innocent because we aren't financially ready to get married, buy a house, and start a family just yet. (Hooray student loans). I still thought I'd be waiting at least 2-3 more years before he would start getting serious about proposing! But then this past week, he kept mentioning how he's been thinking of proposal ideas (apparently it's going to be really elaborate) and keeps making little comments alluding to a proposal, and how he'll have enough money saved up by the end of the year, all just to get me worked up! Haha. He's a goof, so again, didn't read much into it.

Then yesterday, after I spent half of my day watching the Masters with him (he's a golf fan) I asked if we could get out and do something fun, like window shop at the nearby mall perhaps? He agreed that since I put up with the golf tournament, we could do something that I want to do... so off to the mall we go, and we are just strolling around enjoying the fresh air (it's an outdoor mall, we Californians are spoiled) and we walk by a jewelry store. I stop to look at the rings they have on display outside (and they are sooo sparkly, I could have stared forever) when he suggests we go inside. GO INSIDE???!!! I was really intimidated... I never go into fine jewelry stores! (He and I are both pretty shy people as well, and we had no idea what we were doing to begin with...) So, after much coaxing, I take a couple of steps into the store and, trying to remain invisible, park myself by the nearest display case and look at the beautiful rings inside. A few minutes later, an employee walks by and asks if I'd like to try any on! :-o "Oh!" I look at my bf, and he gives me a look like "go on!" I turn back around "Ok... Um... SURE!"

So then we begin picking out a ring at a time, and trying them on to see what looks good. And my sweet boyfriend, who is usually super quiet, was actually asking questions and giving input the entire time! ::) The employee lady was also really patient, and since we told her it was our first time ever looking at rings or diamonds in person, she was so helpful in pulling out a bunch of different stones and letting us compare color, clarity, and carat sizes. I was relieved that she didn't pressure us into making any sort of commitments that day, which I was pretty nervous about. I don't like pushy salespeople! So in all, it was a really awesome experience that was completely unexpected! And now that my bf and I have discussed our preferences in diamonds and settings, and figured out my ring size, he says he needs to keep me out of the loop from now on... he doesn't want me to see the setting or diamond that he picks out until the actual proposal so that everything remains a complete surprise! Which basically means I have no idea when to expect a proposal... eeeh!

Wow, I didn't realize how long this post was. Sorry and thanks for reading! Looking forward to getting to know everybody!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome and hope your stay is short and sweet.

I wish me watching the Masters got me ring shopping. I've been dating my bf as long as you guys. I think this year will be the my year as well. :)

So exciting about rings! What style did you end up liking the most and did your BF share your tastes?

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
maebelle|1302573029|2893757 said:

I wish me watching the Masters got me ring shopping. I've been dating my bf as long as you guys. I think this year will be the my year as well. :)

So exciting about rings! What style did you end up liking the most and did your BF share your tastes?

Thank you so much! Haha, I don't expect that I'll get to go ring shopping every time I watch some sporting event with him, but it's definitely something I could get used to!

As for types of diamonds... I know we don't want a huge stone... I have pretty small hands (or according to the lady, a small palm base), size 5 finger, so a 0.74 looked plenty big on me! Plus, I'm a science teacher and I don't want a huge rock getting in the way :razz: (Not that I would complain with a larger stone... just not as practical to wear on a daily basis!)

I know I definitely want a RB. Color and clarity are still undecided, but leaning towards F/G from what we saw at the store. Clarity will just depend on specific stones I guess?

As for settings, neither of us like solitaires or halos, so those were ruled out.... we were drawn to thinner bands with sidestones... but not all the way around the band... we're laid-back people so small sidestones provide just enough sparkle without going overboard. The bf went into even more detail about what he prefers the prongs to look like! For example, he said he doesn't like the 4-prong because it made the RB look more squarish. I was kind of impressed by that comment, I didn't realize he was paying that much attention!

To be completely honest, I have my heart set on a setting I saw on the brilliant earth website, but I've never seen it in person. The bf knows that this is my current dream ring, and even though I want to see it in person, he says I'm "not allowed" b/c it'll ruin the surprise if he ends up buying from them!

BE%20heirloom.jpg

From your other posts, it looks like you're on the hunt for a sapphire as your center stone, am I correct? So beautiful!! How is that going? And do you have specific setting preferences yet?

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!! I LOVE the setting you posted. It's simple yet still unique, and it looks antique which I adore! Congrats on having such a wonderful BF, you sound like a lucky girl. I'm right there with you on not knowing when the proposal will come and, although it makes me anxious, I'm loving the suspense and knowing I'm going to be surprised. I hope your wait won't be too long, *~*~*~DUST~*~*~*!

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
Grlsbestfrnd|1302577824|2893822 said:
Welcome!! I LOVE the setting you posted. It's simple yet still unique, and it looks antique which I adore! Congrats on having such a wonderful BF, you sound like a lucky girl. I'm right there with you on not knowing when the proposal will come and, although it makes me anxious, I'm loving the suspense and knowing I'm going to be surprised. I hope your wait won't be too long, *~*~*~DUST~*~*~*!

So sweet! Thanks! Yeah, I really love the antique look as well, and the fact that it's more understated :) It's so great to be with other girls who are in the same boat as I am! I'm loving the suspense too, and it's really great that I stumbled upon this place where I can release some of my pent up excitement :loopy: I hope your surprise comes sooner than later!! ***dust***

sjm

Rough_Rock
welcome! :appl: sounds like the ideal first browsing experience!!!!!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
yay, lots and lots of sparkly dust to you! :appl: here's hoping that you won't have to be a LIW for too long :wink2:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!! :wavey:

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
dandyandi|1302575291|2893785 said:
maebelle|1302573029|2893757 said:

Thank you so much! Haha, I don't expect that I'll get to go ring shopping every time I watch some sporting event with him, but it's definitely something I could get used to!

As for types of diamonds... I know we don't want a huge stone... I have pretty small hands (or according to the lady, a small palm base), size 5 finger, so a 0.74 looked plenty big on me! Plus, I'm a science teacher and I don't want a huge rock getting in the way :razz: (Not that I would complain with a larger stone... just not as practical to wear on a daily basis!)

I know I definitely want a RB. Color and clarity are still undecided, but leaning towards F/G from what we saw at the store. Clarity will just depend on specific stones I guess?

As for settings, neither of us like solitaires or halos, so those were ruled out.... we were drawn to thinner bands with sidestones... but not all the way around the band... we're laid-back people so small sidestones provide just enough sparkle without going overboard. The bf went into even more detail about what he prefers the prongs to look like! For example, he said he doesn't like the 4-prong because it made the RB look more squarish. I was kind of impressed by that comment, I didn't realize he was paying that much attention!

To be completely honest, I have my heart set on a setting I saw on the brilliant earth website, but I've never seen it in person. The bf knows that this is my current dream ring, and even though I want to see it in person, he says I'm "not allowed" b/c it'll ruin the surprise if he ends up buying from them!

BE%20heirloom.jpg

From your other posts, it looks like you're on the hunt for a sapphire as your center stone, am I correct? So beautiful!! How is that going? And do you have specific setting preferences yet?

I love the setting you have selected its looks really timeless and elegant. If you are possibly considering a custom ring I would def check out Victor Canera out in los angelos. He has done some amazing rings for a few of the girls here on pricescope and his engraving is gorgeous. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results