shape
carat
color
clarity

Introduction!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Hello fellow LIW''s!

I just joined the forum and am spending far too much of my time getting excited over all things engagement and wedding related!

My BF and I have been dating for nearly 4 years (anniversary is coming up in about 2 weeks... but I''m not getting too hopeful
12.gif
). We met in high school through some mutual friends, but really didn''t start getting to know each other much before I graduated. We started hanging out during the middle of my freshman year of college and "hanging out" became "dating" by Spring. We''ve been somewhat long-distance for a large part of out relationship now, as he went to college about 2 hours away from our hometown and the school I went to. However, he has been interning at a company here in our hometown during Summer and Winter quarters, so he is usually here 3 months then gone three months. This is his last year, so he decided not to work this Winter so he could graduate in December instead of next March, so he has been away all school year, but at least he''ll still be home for the Summer! While we were both in school we would usually get to see each other every other weekend- I''d take one weekend a month off work to go visit him, and he''d come home once a month. Now I am done with undergrad and working part-time while pursuing a graduate degree part-time, so my schedule is a little more flexible and we seem to be seeing each other more like every week and a half, but sadly we are still always working around work, classes and studying so we don''t get as much time as we''d like for things like actual dates.

We started talking about marriage a few years ago and agreed that we would definitely wait until we were both finished with college, but at the time I remember thinking how very far away that seemed. I think he told me about 6 months into our relationship that he really thought I was the one he wanted to spend his life with, but we didn''t start talking serious commitment quite that early. Now that the final graduation is less than a year away, I have been bugging him a bit about when the engagment is coming. It''s been a pretty certain thing for quite a while, but he just didn''t want a long engagment- he said he didn''t want to make that commitment until he was sure he would be able to provide for me and we could start to make definite plans. But we have discussed it quite a bit and agreed that we want to make the wedding happen this December while we will both have a few weeks off (me from grad school, him having a break between graduation and starting a job or grad program), otherwise we would have to wait until next summer and frankly we are both too excited about getting married to wait that much longer. So needless to say, I can''t wait to start planning and I am pretty sure I am going to have half the planning done within a week after the ring is on my finger, but I am trying really hard to be patient.

We have looked at rings together over the past few months, but he definitely wants to pick out and buy the ring on his own and surprise me. I''m fairly certain he hasn''t bought it yet (Although I''m not quite sure how he filled all his time this past weekend, so I suppose he could have me fooled), but he says he is "working on it" and he has been asking more questions lately ("would you sacrifice having some sidestones in the setting to have a better quality diamond in a solitaire?" "what do you think of this ring that I found a picture of online [and will not tell you where it is from]?" and "Is 9 months enough time to plan a wedding?"- i said yes "6 months?" -that might be pushing it, I say), so I do think it is coming within the next couple of months, but I don''t know how much research he has done on his own and, since I think he doesn''t believe me about how much time wedding plan takes, I hope he isn''t going to be surprised when he finds out he can''t take home a ring in one day and have to delay the proposal! Although, since I have quite small fingers (about a size 4), I have stressed many times that he will have to get the ring sized and make sure the setting he chooses can be safely sized down enough.

Geez, I really need to stop rambling and get some productive work done today, but I am just too darn excited thinking about what my guy will come up with and making plans and spending the rest of our lives together because frankly, I just think he is incredible
9.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
welcome, from one oboist to another
9.gif
hope your stay on the list is a short one!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew squirrly would be the first to respond to this one!

Welcome, Jazzoboe!!
35.gif
Sounds like its very soon! Hope your stay is short!
1.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Jazz!! May your stay be short and sweet!!!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to LIW! Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Welcome! I''m new here too and was in a similar situation with the long-distance thing so I know how hard that can be. Looks like your wait will be a short one!

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Exciting update:

My BF went ring shopping yesterday while I was at work! He wasn''t going to tell me he was going shopping, but frankly he''s not great at keeping secrets. He came home from school even though he had a lot of other things going on and there was snow to drive through, and he was moving around money in his bank accounts and asking me when I worked so I had kind of already figured it out. He told me last night he found a ring he really likes, but didn''t want to buy it before asking me because the diamond is not certified. However, he says it is (significantly) bigger, clearer and sparkles more than the certified diamonds aroud the same price point and he said he liked it more than any other he saw. The jeweler estimates it to be about a F/G VS2, and he said he couldn''t see any inclusions at all under magnification. I trust his judgement and know that he has really done his diamond research, so if he thinks it''s better than the certified diamonds he looked at, and a bit less expensive (especially a factor since we are relatively young and don''t have much extra cash), I think I am perfectly happy with that decision, but I would love to hear other opinions. Does anyone on here have a diamond that is not certified? Are there major drawbacks other than possibly not having a good appraisal of it''s real value for insurance purposes?

slangofoil

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2010 4:05:49 PM
Author: jazzoboe
Exciting update:

My BF went ring shopping yesterday while I was at work! He wasn''t going to tell me he was going shopping, but frankly he''s not great at keeping secrets. He came home from school even though he had a lot of other things going on and there was snow to drive through, and he was moving around money in his bank accounts and asking me when I worked so I had kind of already figured it out. He told me last night he found a ring he really likes, but didn''t want to buy it before asking me because the diamond is not certified. However, he says it is (significantly) bigger, clearer and sparkles more than the certified diamonds aroud the same price point and he said he liked it more than any other he saw. The jeweler estimates it to be about a F/G VS2, and he said he couldn''t see any inclusions at all under magnification. I trust his judgement and know that he has really done his diamond research, so if he thinks it''s better than the certified diamonds he looked at, and a bit less expensive (especially a factor since we are relatively young and don''t have much extra cash), I think I am perfectly happy with that decision, but I would love to hear other opinions. Does anyone on here have a diamond that is not certified? Are there major drawbacks other than possibly not having a good appraisal of it''s real value for insurance purposes?

I would say ask about the diamond in Rocky Talky. Without a certificate do you have any hard data on the stone such as angles and percentages? If it''s a round brilliant cut the numbers can tell a lot.

Also keep in mind he can probably get a lot more bang for his buck if he shops online rather than in a brick and mortar store.

Good luck and congrats on your impending engagement!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 4:05:49 PM
Author: jazzoboe
Exciting update:

Hey, Jazz, that is soo exciting that your BF went ring browsing! Now about the diamond, I want you to be careful out there. Do some research and make sure that the diamond isn''t clarity enhanced. What that means is that the diamond had been tweaked a little or a lot and the diamond may have had some of its flaws filled in by glass. You can do a google search about it. I personally would be cautions when a deal sounds a bit too good to be true. I just want to make sure you are happy with your diamond ring when you get it!!! Good luck, Jazz!

cally

Rough_Rock
I''m late to the welcoming, but congrats on the update!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! It''s lovely to hear someone so excited about the whole engagement process
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results