shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing the newest member of our family!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 4:33:05 PM
Author: Lorelei
Rascal, how did he come into your life? I would love to hear how you found him when you get a chance please.
Like I mentioned earlier, I met him at my barn that I have been riding at for years. From his records, it looks like he raced for five years and then was brought to auction. The barn manager of my barn bought him at the auction, and he was retrained for beginner dressage, jumping, etc. Probably two years ago or so I spoke with the barn manager about purchasing him, and the only reason it took so long was that I needed a stall to open up.
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 2:16:25 AM
Author: monarch64
Michelle, Stretch is a beautiful horse!!! Congratulations on your new addition!

I grew up with an Apaloosa named Cricket, she was the sweetest thing but I never got to ride her--she foundered when she was about 19 but we kept her well for many more years. She loved sugar cubes, carrots, apples, and Werther''s candies!
7.gif
I miss her still, she was such a sweetheart. She actually ''mothered'' a few Holstein calves on my parents'' farm who needed a friend/mama figure! Forgive me, I couldn''t help but relate something about her here, and I find myself doing so every time I see a new horsie on PS!
Oh Monarch, Cricket sounds like she was an amazing horse! Don''t apologize for mentioning her, this is a horse thread
2.gif

As I told my husband, I will never let Stretch go back to auction again. He was lucky that he was not purchased by people planning on selling him to a slaugherhouse. He will live out the rest of his life with us, even after he is retired from riding.

Werther''s candies?! There''s something I hadn''t thought to give Stretch! He loves his apples and carrots, and of course horse cookies. Oh and peppermints are high on his list. Whenever he hears the crinkling of a plastic wrapper, he quickly assumes that you must be opening up a peppermint for him
2.gif
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2007 10:19:07 AM
Author: Rascal49

I grew up with an Apaloosa named Cricket, she was the sweetest thing but I never got to ride her--she foundered when she was about 19 but we kept her well for many more years. She loved sugar cubes, carrots, apples, and Werther''s candies!
7.gif
I miss her still, she was such a sweetheart. She actually ''mothered'' a few Holstein calves on my parents'' farm who needed a friend/mama figure! Forgive me, I couldn''t help but relate something about her here, and I find myself doing so every time I see a new horsie on PS!
Oh Monarch, Cricket sounds like she was an amazing horse! Don''t apologize for mentioning her, this is a horse thread
2.gif

As I told my husband, I will never let Stretch go back to auction again. He was lucky that he was not purchased by people planning on selling him to a slaugherhouse. He will live out the rest of his life with us, even after he is retired from riding.

Werther''s candies?! There''s something I hadn''t thought to give Stretch! He loves his apples and carrots, and of course horse cookies. Oh and peppermints are high on his list. Whenever he hears the crinkling of a plastic wrapper, he quickly assumes that you must be opening up a peppermint for him
2.gif
3.gif
Yup, Werther''s were a favorite of hers, and I think I remember giving her those chewy Brach''s caramels--if you''ve ever seen a horse try to chew a caramel, well it''s like when you put peanut butter on the roof of a cat''s or dog''s mouth, lol!

Good for you for not letting Streth ever go back to auction. I think Illinois where we reside just passed a law against slaughtering horses for consumption, it was one of two states left that were still slaughtering, boo. I stopped eating jello or products (even pills) with gelatin as an ingredient, i just shudder at the thought of it. On a brighter note, he is so lucky you found him, he''ll have a great family to live the rest of his life with now!
36.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 11:26:26 PM

Date: 7/13/2007 10:19:07 AM

7.gif
2.gif

2.gif
3.gif
Yup, Werther''s were a favorite of hers, and I think I remember giving her those chewy Brach''s caramels--if you''ve ever seen a horse try to chew a caramel, well it''s like when you put peanut butter on the roof of a cat''s or dog''s mouth, lol!

Good for you for not letting Streth ever go back to auction. I think Illinois where we reside just passed a law against slaughtering horses for consumption, it was one of two states left that were still slaughtering, boo. I stopped eating jello or products (even pills) with gelatin as an ingredient, i just shudder at the thought of it. On a brighter note, he is so lucky you found him, he''ll have a great family to live the rest of his life with now!
36.gif
As of today, there are no slaughterhouses operating in the US
36.gif
However, as good as that sounds, it just means that the horses are transported to Canada or Mexico...
39.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well good to know there aren''t anymore s.houses in the US, but sad to hear that horses just get carted out of country. Anything we can do about that? I will check PETA (I''m not a member but frequent the website and receive email updates).

Again I have to bring up something positive: there is just nothing in the world like a velvety muzzle against your palm, or the peaceful feeling of grooming or feeling those stronger than life muscles underneath the soft hair of a horse. I so miss being around horses or even livestock for that matter. Thanks for posting, I get to live vicariously through your thread for a bit Michelle!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2007 1:49:16 AM
Well good to know there aren''t anymore s.houses in the US, but sad to hear that horses just get carted out of country. Anything we can do about that? I will check PETA (I''m not a member but frequent the website and receive email updates).

Again I have to bring up something positive: there is just nothing in the world like a velvety muzzle against your palm, or the peaceful feeling of grooming or feeling those stronger than life muscles underneath the soft hair of a horse. I so miss being around horses or even livestock for that matter. Thanks for posting, I get to live vicariously through your thread for a bit Michelle!
36.gif
Please do what you can Monnie, we in Europe have been fighting for some time against live transportation and export, between us all we can make the world a better place for horses.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I was also thinking ( I know you are so busy) but maybe there might be a horse charity in your area where perhaps you could volunteer occasionally? I know here in the UK we have many and they often appreciate you wielding a broom, grooming or just cuddling the residents, it might be worth a thought!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Cute! I thought he looked like a TB. He must be pretty sound to have raced for 5 years. It is horrible how so many don''t get past 2 or 3
38.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
What a magnificent looking horse. Congrats on the new addition!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everybody!!!

Date: 7/14/2007 4:55:30 PM
Author: indecisive
Cute! I thought he looked like a TB. He must be pretty sound to have raced for 5 years. It is horrible how so many don''t get past 2 or 3
38.gif
We don''t know that much about his racing history, we just know what races he ran in and the outcomes. He likely had some racing injuries during his career, as there is slight evidence of an old very slight bowed tendon in one of his front legs, and there are scars from where he was likely pin fired in both hind legs. But after all that, he is pretty sound, with some mild arthritis in legs. He has some issues with his hind legs, especially his left, and after multiple x-rays and ultrasounds we still cannot find the exact problem. We are hoping that some light riding only and lots of rest in the pasture will help, as will some joint supplements that I just started adding to his grain last week.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2007 11:41:59 AM
Thanks everybody!!!

38.gif
We don''t know that much about his racing history, we just know what races he ran in and the outcomes. He likely had some racing injuries during his career, as there is slight evidence of an old very slight bowed tendon in one of his front legs, and there are scars from where he was likely pin fired in both hind legs. But after all that, he is pretty sound, with some mild arthritis in legs. He has some issues with his hind legs, especially his left, and after multiple x-rays and ultrasounds we still cannot find the exact problem. We are hoping that some light riding only and lots of rest in the pasture will help, as will some joint supplements that I just started adding to his grain last week.
Try some cider vinegar in his feed, I find it really effective for stiffness and arthritic conditions.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 11:53:15 AM

Date: 7/16/2007 11:41:59 AM
Thanks everybody!!!

38.gif
Try some cider vinegar in his feed, I find it really effective for stiffness and arthritic conditions.
Thanks for the tip! How much would you recommend for a 1200lb horse?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Start off with about a quarter of a cup, to around half once a few days have passed in his feed or split between feeds. I have had great success with this ( 27 year old trotting out of his stable in the mornings in mid winter) that had some age related stiffness and arthritic changes!! I have heard of it helping with many owners whose horses had various stiffness and lameness problems and a friend of mine has put her mare on it who has hind leg stiffness and can't believe the difference! I use Heinz cider vinegar which seems to work just fine. It is also palatable and most horses enjoy the flavour it adds to the feed.

Let me know how you get on with it, it seems to take a week or 2 to start working, but the results are normally very positive!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 1:57:36 PM
Start off with about a quarter of a cup, to around half once a few days have passed in his feed or split between feeds. I have had great success with this ( 27 year old trotting out of his stable in the mornings in mid winter) that had some age related stiffness and arthritic changes!! I have heard of it helping with many owners whose horses had various stiffness and lameness problems and a friend of mine has put her mare on it who has hind leg stiffness and can''t believe the difference! I use Heinz cider vinegar which seems to work just fine. It is also palatable and most horses enjoy the flavour it adds to the feed.

Let me know how you get on with it, it seems to take a week or 2 to start working, but the results are normally very positive!
Thanks Lorelei! I will definitely pick some of that up tomorrow! No harm in trying
1.gif
His main issue is a little stiffness in his hind end, so I would love for this to help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please let me know how you get on with it, honestly I have had great results with it and heard of plenty more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results