shape
carat
color
clarity

Intro and questions

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ladies!
I wanted to introduce myself and say hi. My boyfriend and I meet almost three years ago in college and have been dating since. We've somewhat recently "stated our intentions" towards each other, but are still waiting a while to make it official. Which I'm more than happy about since I've been the more commitmentphobe one until somewhat recently. When I asked, he told me he wouldn't be weirded out if I proposed to him, which I'd be a fan of (as long as I get one back :lickout: ).

The only slight issue for me is figuring out how to approach the subject of The diamond. He has a heirloom diamond that's passed down along his father's side and I'm worried that it might be tooo big :-o . I just bought myself my first piece of "real" jewelry which has a sapphire princess center stone of 4 mm and I love that I don't feel awkward wearing it out regardless of where I'm going and it's not terribly flashy, and just sparkly and pretty. Any advice on how to bring it up?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: :wavey: Hello and welcome! :D

and NONSENSE! No such thing as too big of a diamond! But now that you mentioned it.. how big is it, and where are the pics! No teasing allowed on PS! :naughty: hehe

If it's on the larger side, you can always set it in a low solitaire setting, so that it doesn't pop out as much off the finger?
If you really don't like it, I guess you can talk to your SO about buying a smaller one? But that would just mean spending money when you already have a diamond available.. that $ could be going towards planning the wedding, your wedding bands, a new setting for that family diamond… etc.
I love the idea of an heirloom, though. I'm a total antique junky, and buy OTHERS' heirlooms, just for the romance and thoughts of its history.
You're so lucky to have one that was passed down in the family.

If you're in a profession where a larger diamond may not be practical, maybe have his family diamond as a "special occasion ring" for nights out or social affairs, and just wear your wedding band as a daily? And maybe pair your wedding band with the sapphire you just bought?

okay, enough, pics now or they don't exist :wink2: i wanna see!

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Here's to hoping that I attached correctly. It was $200 off of Ruby Lane, I will ashamedly admit that I paid full price :oops: because I fell in love with it and didn't want to let it get away. closeup.png

He has no idea how large it is, other than "quite large and square/rectangular" and since there is so few of his family member's left on that side, it is even more personal. I love the idea of the heirloom diamond, but only if it fit X parameters :lol: . I'm just worried that if it's too large, it just won't feel like mine because that is so not me...

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! :appl: :appl:

Girl, you haven't even seen the diamond and you're scared of it being too big? lol! See it and wear it first before making up your mind and passing on a lovely diamond!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
starrylight|1348608004|3274549 said:
Hey Ladies!
I wanted to introduce myself and say hi. My boyfriend and I meet almost three years ago in college and have been dating since. We've somewhat recently "stated our intentions" towards each other, but are still waiting a while to make it official. Which I'm more than happy about since I've been the more commitmentphobe one until somewhat recently. When I asked, he told me he wouldn't be weirded out if I proposed to him, which I'd be a fan of (as long as I get one back :lickout: ).

The only slight issue for me is figuring out how to approach the subject of The diamond. He has a heirloom diamond that's passed down along his father's side and I'm worried that it might be tooo big :-o . I just bought myself my first piece of "real" jewelry which has a sapphire princess center stone of 4 mm and I love that I don't feel awkward wearing it out regardless of where I'm going and it's not terribly flashy, and just sparkly and pretty. Any advice on how to bring it up?

Hi Starry! Welcome! :wavey:

I recently inheirted a pretty large diamond from my grandmother (maybe not by PS standards but much larger then anything my girlfriends have) and at first I was a little nervous about it being too much but I set it in a very antique solitaire setting with no melee and it is my new love (no offense to the boyfriend :bigsmile:) I am planning on a diamond wedding band to wear every day and then my engagment ring will be my 'special occasions/ sometimes' ring.

Take a look at the diamond and shop for a setting that is totally YOU! I am sure you will love it. Yay for family diamonds! :lickout:

Anyway! Looking forward to getting to know you on here!

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!

I def think you need to see the stone to "know" - maybe large isnt TOO large, maybe your fingers are a lil bigger (like some of us ;)) ), or maybe you just set it low. A lot of women here are hoping for huge giant stones (or already have them) so sympathy might not be easy to come by :bigsmile: just kidding, there are lots of modest people here, and lots of nurses/childcare ppl that need smaller rings. But I suspect once you have the stone in your hands, it will be hard to let go again!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updates?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results