shape
carat
color
clarity

Internship interviews

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I just got a phone call telling me I''ve been selected for an interview for a summer internship I applied for, and I''m very excited! This internship would be a wonderful way to get insight on the job market, valuable experience, good money (as far as student salaries go) and three additional credits! Yay!
36.gif

... I''ve never interviewed for an internship before. I''m nervous as hell and don''t know what to expect... Any advice? PS fairy dust?
32.gif

Thanks!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I just interviewed for my first internship about a month ago and got the job! So I know how nerve racking it can be since I just went through it. I don''t know why type of company you are interviewing for, but it''s always good to learn more about what they do so that you can be knowledgeable about the corporation. Hopefully the internship is something you are really interested in, so let that enthusiasm show. One of the main reasons I got the job was because they could tell I was "passionate" about the environment, and this work is related to helping the earth. Obviously you want to show that you are competent, but be sure that you let them know what programs you are good with on the computer if you will be doing that type of work. Try and be ready for any odd questions they might ask you so that even if you are taken by surprise you will be able to come up with a good answer. The first question I was asked was, "So tell us a little about yourself." Kind of a vague request. And lastly I think a lot of the interview has to do with your ability to be personable. But from your posts you seem funny, kind, and smart, so you should have nothing to worry about. Oh! And dress to impress! Wear something that not only looks good but makes you feel good. I wore one of my favorite nice skirts because I always feel like I look good when I wear it, which is important for you to feel confident. Good luck! Lots of PS fairy dust!!!!
9.gif

*M*

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips and well wishes, poptart! Congrats on getting your intership.
9.gif

I''ll be interviewing for a company called PerkinsElmer BioSignal, they develop and sell products and services for the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry. I''d be working on the conception of genetic reactants for assay platforms, and on quality control. I''ve been doing some research today and I''m pretty nervous!

I have a question that may sound silly, but PS is definitely the place to ask... Do you wear your ring(s) to an interview? Mine is minuscule by PS standards, but rather large for local ones, and I wonder if it''ll look showy...
33.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I wear my ring to an interview. I feel it is a part of me. If you really feel uncomfortable I would not wear it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got plenty of advice. Even though I''m a graduate student I do some of the intern hiring at my consulting firm, and have done many internships myself in the past. Here are my keys to nailing internships (in no particular order):

1. Research as much as you can about the position and company. Make sure to ask questions, but don''t ask anything in their promotional literature. They will ALWAYS ask at the end "Do you have any questions for us?" and make sure you have at least one to ask. A good question is always, "What is your favorite part of working for XCompany?" or "What has been the most rewarding experience here for you?". That way you get the spotlight off of you and everyone always loves talking about themselves.

2. Dress the part. If it is for any kind of business thing, wear a suit or at least a really nice shirt and slacks. Jewelery is ok, but make sure it''s not crazy. Try not to wear pink or animal print (yes people have done this to me...) as they aren''t seen as professional. If it is for something more artsy, still dress nicely, but make sure to put on one fab piece of jewelry or something to make yourself stand out.

3. Come prepared. First thing they will probably ask you is "What do you know about XCompany/the position?" you want to know as much information as possible, but don''t come off as a showoff. Just make sure that you have a good idea of what the company does and what your position might be. Make sure you know your interviewer''s position and name if possible.

4. Bring business cards and resumes if you have them. Sometimes the person doesn''t have it in front of them and need to go rooting for it. You look like a star if you have one nicely printed for them already.

5. Don''t be afraid to toot your own horn, modestly of course. They will want someone with confidence and the ability to get the job done, so show them you think you''re capable and willing to learn. This is not the place to be humble, you need to sell yourself in a non-pushy way.

6. SMILE and be yourself. I think the number one thing I look for when hiring interns is a friendly demeanor. They are going to want to hire someone THEY would want to work with, so be open and friendly.

7. Be on time. If something happens and you won''t be on time, CALL. Calling can make a big difference between someone understanding and someone being pissed.

The biggest reasons I WON''T hire an intern:

1. They don''t project confidence.
2. They are rude, cocky, or act childish.
3. They have done no background research on the company and/or when asked why they want to work for us they say "I need a job and found you in the paper".
4. They are late and don''t call.
5. (Less important, but annoying) They''re chewing gum and/or don''t look professional.

It''s really just like any interview for a job. GOOD LUCK!!! I am sure you''ll be fantastic.

1.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Wow, neatfreak, thank you so much! I think I''m actually going to print that out!
9.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Just to elaborate on neatfreak's post from some of my personal experiences. (Altought I just graduated from college, I got all 5 jobs that I interviewed for.
2.gif
)

1. One of the common questions would be "why do you think you are the best person of this job?" or "why should we hire you?"
This is the part, as neatfreak mentioned, to sell yourself politely.
I find it important to respond is to give concrete examples of why your skills and accomplishments make you the best candidate for the job.
Take a few moments to compare the job description with your abilities, as well as mentioning what you have accomplished in your other positions.
Be positive and reiterate your interest in the company and the position.
For example, if in the job description, they are looking for someone who is more detail-oriented, then try to describe your ability to pay attention to details.
Rembmer to always be polite and show what a quick learner you are and your tremendous effort and willingness to learn.

2. Bring your resume with you is very important.
Especially when the person who interviews you is so busy to keep up with all the small things.

3. I was also asked to describe my future goals.
The best way to respond is to revolve your answer around what you would learn with the company you are interviewing with.
Make sure to speak specifically about what you are going to accomplish and how you are going to accomplish it. Some good examples include:
I plan on gaining additional skills by taking related classes and continuing my involvement with a variety of professional associations.
I noticed that XYZ company (the company you are interviewing with) provides in-house training for employees and I would certainly be interested in taking classes that would be relevant.
I will continue my professional development my participating in conferences, attending seminars, and continuing my education.

Hope it helps & good luck.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Anchor! Looks like you''ve gotten some great advice on here already, so good luck!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Your advice is really appreciated doobao! Thanks!
9.gif

Thanks for the encouragement, RoseAngel.
5.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Eep! The interview is today! Please send me plenty of PS fairy dust!
32.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck Anchor!

I have a job interview today also, so we''re in it together!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sweetpea, good luck to you! Mine was moved to Friday PM...
7.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Great advice doobao!

I would only like to add that it would be a good idea to really look at what you have done in both school and professionally. Because this is an internship, they are trying to identify your potential by looking at what you have done in school in combination with your work experience. Have a few concrete examples of times when your efforts really made the team stand out. Really think about times either in school or at work when you participated in group projects, the role you played and your efforts impacted the end result. Also have an example of a time when your ideas did not work out very well - they may ask you about a time where you "failed." The interviewer wants to find out how you handled the situation, so always make sure you put a positive spin on the situation by discussing how you were able to learn from your mistake and avoid a similiar situation in the future.

As an HR person, I would want to know what the company can do for you and what you can do for the company. To have a good match, I would want someone who views working for the company will benefit them in other ways than just for a paycheck (career goals, mobility, benefits, reputation, etc). Also, I would want to find out how the individual can benefit the company (skill-set, motivation, fit within the organization).

Granted, you are interviewing for an internship, but, they may be making mental notes about you as a potential candidate post graduation.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your advice!

So, my interview was on Friday PM, in the middle of a snowstorm, so just getting there was quite the adventure, but I managed to get there early. The interview itself was very different than what I expected. The only question she asked about me was why I''d applied for the internship. For the rest of the interview, she explained to me the machine they''re using, and she asked me questions about how I thought it worked and little things like that to test my knowledge about basic biochemistry and see how I''m capable of learning quickly and applying what I''ve just learned. It was pretty interesting!

I''ll probably have news this week or next week... I''m keeping my fingers crossed!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Good Luck anchor! I hope you get it! I work in the Chemistry/Toxicology field, and it is really interesting. I took a few biochem courses when I was in school for my degree and I found it really interesting.. Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results