shape
carat
color
clarity

International insured shipping provider for high value stone

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am buying a rock from a private seller in Canada. I am paying 5600$. We are having trouble finding an insured way to send the rock.

USPS not available
UPS won't insure loose stones
Canada Post only insures up to 1,000$, and same with their registered mail

Has anyone ever shipped from Canada to the US?

Any help is appreciated.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: International insured shipping provider for high value s

Jewelers have private jewelry insurance and that's how they do it. But for individuals, I don't know if there is a way. You may have to fly and pick up the diamond or get your seller to come across the US border and send via USPS registered mail which is safe and insured.

Hoping this bump might get you more info.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Used and recommend Malca Amit as well

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade

How much did using that cost you guys? Just trying to get a gauge? It looks like he can use parcel pro. They will insure the package,and he can use Canada Post to ship the package.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I remember corectly it was about 220$ from the US to Europe

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Parcel Pro? (this is what bluenile uses for return shipment from canada)
Fedex? (many us vendors use fedex to ship to Canada, and expect canadian customers to use fedex for any return shipping back to the US)
Purolator? (courier service operated and owned by Canada Post. max insurance is $5k CAD)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to say FedEx isn't a possibility in this situation: maximum declared value of gems/jewelry for consumers -- in either the US or Canada -- is $1000. US diamond/jewelry vendors who use FedEx have their own, independent 3rd party insurance and/or are enrolled in FedEx's Declared Value Advantage program.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade

Thanks everyone for the input! Purolator would be around 250$ as they charge a 4.5% premium if the declared value is over 100$, so it looks like parcel pro will be the best option to use and canada post will handle the shipment. Or usps registered mail insured if the seller lives close to the border. I'll ask him.

DHL won't cover loose gemstones. Same with UPS.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Are you going to be buying a mounting from a jeweler in the US?

If so, ask that jeweler to send a label to your seller through their UPS or Fedex account and use their supplemental insurance.

If your seller has access to Parcel Pro, they will ship through Fedex or UPS and cover the insurance. I was not aware that Parcel Pro worked with privates for individual shipments, but they certainly may.

You will not want to use UPS or Fedex without a secondary insurer like Parcel Pro as you will basically be shipping with no insurance if you do.

Wink

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it, OP. I recently sent a diamond to JbG from Canada and was so confused about how to do it. I read advice saying to not write "diamond" anywhere on the box, to help prevent theft. Then Canada post told me I need to write a description and it has to be accurate for insurance claims. I ended up writing "jewel" but I was so nervous about the whole thing!

Any ideas what we should be writing on the box when sending a "jewel"?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

^ if the item is a loose diamond or colored gemstone, you can write "mineral specimen" which is an accurate description [i.e., "Diamond is the hardest naturally occurring mineral."]

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade

I'll make sure he writes mineral specimen on the box. Thanks for the info.

I bought the diamond and setting and the diamond was set. That would incur a 5.5% import duty as well as my state tax because a mounted stone is "jewelry", so I had the seller take it to a jeweler and remove the stone. He is shipping the platinum setting and the stone together. So, it is a "loose stone" and I avoid the customs duty.

I am receiving the shipment. I have an ideal scope of the image and several close ups, and the girdle is inscribed with the gia report number. I am having a jeweler verify the stone when it comes in. I own an ideal scope, so should be pretty easy to verify the ideal scope, use a diamond and moussanite tester, look at it under 10x loupe, check fluorescence, and check the girdle to make sure it matches the gia certificate, as well as the color. I am buying this diamond to have for when it is needed in the future so I can propose with the diamond when that situation comes up. This diamond/setting was the ideal specs that I was looking for at 72-74% (all in, including shipping, accounting that I will have to pay for a resizing/setting once I want to set the stone) of the price it would have been online. I'm happy :)

I have a 3 day period to verify the stone once receiving. And full refund if I return.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results