Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Interior window - Quirky & useful, or just weird?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Any interior design / home reno lovers here? :wavey: I'm redesigning my kitchen, which is awkwardly situated in the middle of the house with no exterior windows! Would it be super weird to put in a window above the kitchen sink? It would look directly into the sunroom, which has big windows and a skylight. Is it weird to have a window that just looks into another room??

This is the overall design I made of the new kitchen:
**deleted at OPs request**

And here's the wall shared between kitchen and sunroom:

dish_window.png
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
The window would look kind of like this, but without the shelves. Just a plain sheet of glass w/ plants sitting in the extra deep sill. And if you have any other thoughts about the rest of the design, I'd love to hear any feedback. I've never put together a kitchen before and can use all the help I can get!

sill_window_w_plants.png
 

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
7,586
I have come across a number of houses with a window above the sink that look into a conservatory.

I suspect the window above the sink is part of the original exterior wall, and an extension in the form of a conservatory was added the house at a later date.

If I were to add a conservatory to house on the other side of the kitchen, my kitchen window will look into it.

Therefore, I do not believe it would be considered as weird.

DK :))
 

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
5,242
I'd probably pick an art glass to go in it. Something not opaque, not clear if you know what I mean? There are so many different ones to choose from. You'd get the light, but there would be the illusion of a real window. JMO.
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
lyra|1457998976|4005307 said:
I'd probably pick an art glass to go in it. Something not opaque, not clear if you know what I mean? There are so many different ones to choose from. You'd get the light, but there would be the illusion of a real window. JMO.
Ooh, there's an idea! Although I'm not sure what kind of artsy glass might fit in a modern looking kitchen... any ideas? I'm trying to keep everything white/stainless/minimal.
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
dk168|1457998573|4005304 said:
I have come across a number of houses with a window above the sink that look into a conservatory.

I suspect the window above the sink is part of the original exterior wall, and an extension in the form of a conservatory was added the house at a later date.

If I were to add a conservatory to house on the other side of the kitchen, my kitchen window will look into it.

Therefore, I do not believe it would be considered as weird.

DK :))
Yes, that's exactly the situation - sink wall was exterior, and sunroom was added on. My conservatory is not a conservatory, though! :cheeky: I just have a lemon tree and two tiny houseplants.

Putting a window in would push me to cultivate more indoor plants, though.... Oooh, can you imagine a sunroom full of dwarf citrus trees?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
29,133
Do whatever you like.
It's your home.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,583
My home came with a half wall in the master Br. I guess the original owners were exhibitionists :oops: :lol: 8-) .i filled with glass blocks. Depending on the block you choose, they offer different levels of privacy and transparency. I didn't sheetrock the space because right outside the master Br is a skylight and I wanted the light to filter in.
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,312
I don't think a window would be weird, in fact I think it would be useful in several ways. For example, if you entertain in the sunroom, a window would allow whoever is working in the kitchen to remain part of the action. If you have kids playing there, it would allow you to keep an eye on things while doing whatever in the kitchen. I'm just not sure about a greenhouse-style window however, especially if it actually juts out into the other room. To me, that would be weird and would limit your option in the sunroom. But if you're just taking advantage of the depth of the walls, sure! (Or, expand on that depth by extending the window sill on the kitchen side.)

One possibility - make it a sliding window that opens from side-to-side, so you could also use it as a pass-through.
 

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
685
Is your sunroom three season or four season? I'm not sure what zone you live in. I love the idea of an opening over the sink. It would allow natural light in to the kitchen, extend your view and facilitate conversation. If you have a three season sunroom then a window type opening is necessary. If it's completely insulated, then you could just case out the opening and maybe add an extra deep sill to put plants on. I think an opening is a great idea and I love your overall kitchen design. Good luck!
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
VRBeauty|1458000963|4005327 said:
I don't think a window would be weird, in fact I think it would be useful in several ways. For example, if you entertain in the sunroom, a window would allow whoever is working in the kitchen to remain part of the action. If you have kids playing there, it would allow you to keep an eye on things while doing whatever in the kitchen. I'm just not sure about a greenhouse-style window however, especially if it actually juts out into the other room. To me, that would be weird and would limit your option in the sunroom. But if you're just taking advantage of the depth of the walls, sure! (Or, expand on that depth by extending the window sill on the kitchen side.)

One possibility - make it a sliding window that opens from side-to-side, so you could also use it as a pass-through.
Keeping an eye on kids is a good point. I don't have kids yet, but I think the sun room and backyard will be prime play areas. Yep, the wall is extra deep due to it having been an exterior wall, so I would just have it reframed to fit over the sink/counter area.
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
12,721
If the sunroom is insulated and completely closed in, I would consider an opening into the room rather than a window. It would allow the light in without it being a window. If not, you might have no other alternative than a window of some type.

Is this a single story home? If so, you might also consider skylights over the kitchen to allow the light to shine in!
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
7,457
If the wall into the sunroom isn't load bearing, maybe get rid of it and install an open design? Examples of what I'm referring to can be seen at pediniusa.com and snaidero-usa.com
 

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
13,428
What will it look like on the other side? Is the "window" in a place on the wall that makes sense in that room too?
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, the wall is load bearing. The old exterior wall is brick and I can't enlarge the opening or knock down that wall without a whole lot of extra expense. Our master closets are directly above the kitchen, so no sky light option, unfortunately. The only reason I can put in a window there is because the original exterior window is still there - smack dab in the middle of my kitchen, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I can either fill the window with drywall, or I can modify the window to fit the new counter space. Looking at it from the sunroom, there is brick on either side of the existing window, so I had thought about just filling the window with drywall and having a cool inset space to hand art from, while the kitchen side would have additional cabinet space. But looking at it from the kitchen side, a modified window would add much needed sunlight.

Re: open concept, I actually thought about knocking down the wall between the kitchen and living room, but then I would have nowhere to put the fridge!
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,583
PintoBean|1458000172|4005319 said:
My home came with a half wall in the master Br. I guess the original owners were exhibitionists :oops: :lol: 8-) .i filled with glass blocks. Depending on the block you choose, they offer different levels of privacy and transparency. I didn't sheetrock the space because right outside the master Br is a skylight and I wanted the light to filter in.
This link shows a glass block window right above a kitchen sink :)
http://www.postoakconstruction.com/kitchen-remodeling.htm

On second thought - it could be a regular window, but with the mortar in between the blocks, it would look similar.
 

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 15, 2015
Messages
272
Even though you've already decided, we have a window just like that. The back of our house has a dining room with glass french doors, then a kitchen with an eat in area with glass french doors, and a large picture window over the sink. Behind that is a huge sun room with an outdoor kitchen and fire pit that span the whole thing. It doesn't seem weird at all. Our sun room is made up of all windows, with glass on the bottom and screens on the top and 6 sky lights.

However, we also have an interior window that IS weird. Our dining room has 2 story ceilings, and on the second story there is a large glass window that overlooks the room. That window is in our master bedroom. So weird. The only thing I can figure is that the window was supposed to go in the nook our bed sits in, which has 2 smaller windows on either side (there's a nice view), but when they built the house they messed up and put it in the wrong wall, which overlooks the dining room. Anyone want to have dinner at my house? :naughty:

Sorry you can't put in the window. I think an artsy nook could look really nice.
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
PintoBean|1458008200|4005407 said:
PintoBean|1458000172|4005319 said:
My home came with a half wall in the master Br. I guess the original owners were exhibitionists :oops: :lol: 8-) .i filled with glass blocks. Depending on the block you choose, they offer different levels of privacy and transparency. I didn't sheetrock the space because right outside the master Br is a skylight and I wanted the light to filter in.
This link shows a glass block window right above a kitchen sink :)
http://www.postoakconstruction.com/kitchen-remodeling.htm

On second thought - it could be a regular window, but with the mortar in between the blocks, it would look similar.
I missed your post before about your home's old owners, hahaha! Thanks for the link. I'm worried that with the dim light, the blocks would look frostier in my home, and not as pretty as the kitchen pictured.

I found a beveled glass option - semi private. I kind of like it, reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright for some reason.

beveled_glass.png
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
I dated a guy who had windows in his living room on the interior wall that looked into the sun room-which was an addition onto the house. I liked it. I don't think it's weird at all.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,583
The more I think about it, I'd say keep it open for now, and keep herb plants on the sill!
 

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
3,911
We added a half bathroom to our upstairs, there were no windows in the bathroom...but right on the other side of the wall was a bedroom and is a window in the bedroom..I had hubby put a hole in the wall to add a small window..we put block glass in there, so there is a small window between the wall in our bathroom and the bedroom its up high on the wall and now the bathroom is not completely dark..I like it..so why not do what you want
 

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
6,006
I would do it, and I think I'd go for the single sheet of glass with the plants on the sill. I think it would be a lovely addition!
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,246
I think it's a great idea. When I added onto my house the bathroom window became an interior opening. By putting in a stained glass window in the opening, the light from the new room comes through and I still have a "window".
 

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
2,074
I love all ideas that give extra light! I think a window will be fine :) Personally, I might just make it open space without glass. If possible, perhaps replace the wall with a beam or a few columns instead. Best of luck! Sounds like a good idea no matter how you decide to proceed :)
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
We had exactly this in our first home!

There was an existing exterior window over our sink which looked a little odd, because everyone knows what an exterior window is and expects it to be - well - exterior. We pulled that out and framed in a pair of glass doors on the bottom half and a fixed piece of antique stained glass on the top half. The little doors opened out into the sunroom and we put a bar in front of that. So it looked like a serving area for guests, and the "doors" looked like a logical pass thru. We did the whole thing in wood that matched the cabinets, and the antique stained glass had a color in it that we matched with the new countertops. It was quite cute and when we sold the house the realtors liked the "pass thru to an entertainment area". We also put a pool table (with pool table lights) in the sunroom and the whole room ended up with a game room feel. The new buyers had teenage boys and I suspect they and their friends ended up living in that room.

You probably don't have that kind of space, but the idea was to give the pass through a context with which it makes sense.

I've also considered using a porthole in my current home (just in a random wall), but it has a nautical theme. Is there a type of window you could use that would go with a theme?

And glass block is very dated, so I would avoid that . . .
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
I think that if you needed the extra natural light, you could make it work. What about the possibility of adding skylights in the kitchen for natural light instead?
 

LawrenceAdolph

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 20, 2016
Messages
3
kenny|1458000134|4005318 said:
Do whatever you like.
It's your home.
Yes you said is really true. It depends on us and our imagination. With a variety of window styles to choose from, you can select the window design that matches your house's personality. With window designs that range in size, colour, shape and material, finding the right combination for your room is easy – view website for window design inspiration and ideas. Dividing walls can define a space, but by adding a window you add a charming detail to the space.
 

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
10,024
Not at all weird to me. I can think of eicher (forgot correct name) homes that were designed with kitchens in the middle of the house.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top