shape
carat
color
clarity

Interior Decorators Help needed with Wall Sconces

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the process of redecorating my bedroom. One of the things I''m doing is changing ceiling fans to one that does NOT have a light on it. My bedroom ceilings are lower than 8'' and so my husband hits his head of the ceiling fan light all the time. I also am not a big fan of the "light in the middle of the ceiling" even if we didn''t have a ceiling fan.

So, I think I''m going to put up some wall sconces. But I have no idea on how to put them up so they look right. Does anyone know how high they should be up the wall? How many in a room? Can I put them next to pictures on the wall?

Style wise, I want something that is more flush with the wall rather than the more traditional look of a sconce with a little lamp shade on it. I like these because they are beaded and don''t look as "institutional" as many of the wall sconces. Any suggestions on others that are similar to this?

THANK YOU

beadedwallsconce.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Island....I'm not sure how high they should be...I'm a fan of cutting out a shape on paper and taping it to the wall to experiment. I am also always looking on divine design to see what she does and where she puts pieces....Best of luck!
Oh, and since you're going to a mod look, they do sell fans with lights where the lights don't hang so high....Check out restoration hardware for ideas and home depot has many too at great prices...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm a fan of "flanking" with sconces, whether it's a headboard, dresser, picture over the mantle, etc. But HERE is a link to a set of sconces with a very MODERN edge.

ETA-I see it's not linking to the article. Under SEARCH, type in SCONCES. You should have a link for an article called A HOUSE GROWS IN BROOKLYN

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
mmm--I never even thought about doing "paper" sconces to check for placement. Duh, what a great idea. Thanks!

shiny---very cool house. My house is most definitely not that modern but I admire the style. Thanks for the post.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The only reason I thought of it was during a bathroom reno where I had to tell the contractor *everything* so it hit me...use paper cut-outs! I do the same thing for pictures too...cut it to size, and then even measure out where the nail/hook should go and hammer right through it...painters tape works just fine too

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
mmm--Yes, that''s exactly what my hubby are going to do...paper cutouts for both the pictures & the sconces. I''m struggling with the layout for the sconces. I really don''t want to put them on either side of the pictures...too traditional not to mention more expensive but I''m not sure if single sconces will look right. THe paper "sconces" & "pictures" should help a lot.

I ordered a WHITE tufted headboard yesterday from http://www.bedroomfurnituremart.com/beds/headboards/tuftedheadboard.cfm#navbar=a

Much to my surprise I got a shipping notice already. They told me it wouldn''t arrive until Nov 1 but now it''s scheduled for delivery TODAY which is fabulous timing, but I hadn''t had a chance to even tell hubby I ordered it yet. Oops...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m also looking for a tufted headboard but I need a really tall one to make it work...

As for the sconces, it really depends on placement of the pictures. Are they low? High? Next to eachother?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would start with picture heights at 54" center point and wall sconces at the same center point.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if you''ve already decided on anything...but I''m an interior design student and there is actually a formula for hanging things on walls. I wanna say you go halfway up the wall, then add half the height of whatever you are hanging and thats where it goes. I can look it up to make sure if you''d like but I don''t have my books with me at the moment. Usually you put them on either side on a headboard, sides of windows, or mirrors.
1.gif

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p8633/index.cfm?pkey=clgtwalwir
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p9152/index.cfm?pkey=clgtwalwir

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome! Good to know!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Oobi--Thanks for the designer tips on sconces. Since we don''t have any of the standard items to put them around I think we are going to change direction and not do sconces. But I still need more light.

We''re considering the 3 or 4" recessed canned lights aimed at pictures. Do you know how far out from the wall they should come on the ceiling to nicely light a picture that is at eye level or flood the wall without lookoing too "spotlighty"? We have ceilings that are a about 7.5 feet high.

Thanks!!!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with one of the previous posts, I would flank them on either side of the headboard. Have you ever watched Divine Design on HGTV? The designer, Candice Olson, tends to do this quite a bit and you can look up her work and get ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results