shape
carat
color
clarity

interesting predicament

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies...we''re receiving our RSVPs and got an interesting one in the mail the other day and FI and I are at a loss as to what we should say or do.

One of his closest friends from college, we''ll call him Tom, has been dating a girl, we''ll call her Amanda for the last 7-8 years.

I have always been very close to Tom as he is one of FIs closest friends, and in turn have become very close to Amanda.

When we sent out the invitations we addressed it to both of them, they practically live(d?) together, and just thought it would be appropriate, this was not a new relationship etc.

We sent out our invitations mid-march, over the last 2-3 weeks I had asked FI if something was up with them, and he said not that he had heard...little things here and there that I had either seen or heard started to make me wonder if they had broken up... I hadn''t really heard from her for a little while, but at the same time, she is in law school, and its nearing finals, so I just shrugged it off as her being busy, myself included.

We got their response card back today and he declined for her, but he is coming to the wedding...FI asked another mutual friend if he had heard anything about a break up and he said no.

She has responded yes to my bachelorette party, and if she wasn''t able to come to the wedding for whatever reason, I''m sure she would have mentioned it to me by now.(she helped me put favors together 2 months ago!)

FI is going to try and find out what the status of their relationship is. I don''t feel comfortable asking her at this point...as she hasn''t told me yet, and I don''t want to have an awkward situation happen or make her upset.

I''m not planning on un-inviting her to the party, but now I''m not sure if I should send her her own invite to the wedding...FI doesn''t want to pry into their private life(at this point none of their close friends have any idea what is going on) but they are private people, would never have anything bad to say about one another etc so they just may be going through the motions.

FI keeps saying we should just ignore it etc and let it be, but I''m going to see her in a month at my party, she just responded she was coming over the weekend...so now I''m even more confused. To make matters worse, a light bulb went off in my head and said check facebook, people always update that (lol) and it no longer says in a relationship, it says nothing at all...so that was no help. (it used to say in a relationship with X) Shes an awesome girl and has been a great friend to me. I''m new to this area and she has been so awesome showing me around, introducing me to people etc...I tend to think he wouldn''t have responded NO on her behalf unless he spoke with her, just a very confusing situation right now, and I''m not sure if any of this has even made sense.

They are both great people and we wouldn''t want to alienate either of them is I guess what I''m trying to figure out. If they did break up I completely understand why she wouldn''t want to come as his date...I just don''t know what is going on or how to handle this!

I would think after 7-8 years together it would be hard to talk about with people at first, but I know if I was responding to a wedding this way I would have given the couple an explanation before sending it so they don''t worry? I dont know, maybe I''m just making a bigger deal about this because FI and I care about both of them and we don''t know if they are ok etc.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I would just ask one of them.

If they are your friends and you care about them I don't see that as odd of pressuring?

Why play guessing games or try and find out covertly? That just seems complicated and I like to keep things simple - just ask!

People break up. Whether they have been together weeks, months, years or decades. I have had some very serious relationships end after years and if someone actually asked me I would not consider it pressuring, or weird, or painful. I would just answer them! Tip toeing around it does not change whatever is going on, you know?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh, ignore it because you''re afraid it will hurt their feelings if they talk about broken relationships and don''t know if they''re ok? I feel like adults should be able to handle talking about broken relationships, or at least keep it together long enough to say, "I don''t want to talk about it right now."

I don''t think you''ll alienate anybody by bringing it up. Just tell her you sent out invitations a couple of weeks ago, and ask if she got it already (their response could have been lost/delayed in the mail system.)

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely send an invitation to her regardless of the status of the relationship. She seems like she is a close friend. I mean the girl helped with the favors...that''s a true friend, lol.
2.gif

If she rsvps and says that she is coming, I would just give the (ex)boyfriend a heads up that she will be there.

It is your wedding and you should be surrounded by the people that YOU want there!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t tell if this post is about wanting to know if she''s coming to the wedding, or wanting to know if they''re still together
41.gif
. Regardless, if all you want to know is if she''s attending the wedding, you can just ask her. Say "Hey, I got the response card back from you guys, and it indicated you weren''t going to be attending. I''m confused because I thought you were coming", or something to that effect.

If you want to know if they''re still together then you''ll either have to straight out ask her/him, or just wait for them to tell you (if they broke up)!

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 3:26:42 PM
Author: lilyfoot
I can''t tell if this post is about wanting to know if she''s coming to the wedding, or wanting to know if they''re still together
41.gif
. Regardless, if all you want to know is if she''s attending the wedding, you can just ask her. Say ''Hey, I got the response card back from you guys, and it indicated you weren''t going to be attending. I''m confused because I thought you were coming'', or something to that effect.

If you want to know if they''re still together then you''ll either have to straight out ask her/him, or just wait for them to tell you (if they broke up)!
Ditto.

I would add, that if she''s a dear friend to you, it''s not important if she and the guy are still together. What you need t0 know is if she received an invite and is attending your wedding. You can let the rest (details about their relationship) unfold naturally, whether you decide to ask one day or she opens up.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I guess what I need to know is did they decide it was best that he went solo to not make the wedding uncomfortable. (its about a 2.5 hour drive for both of them). She wouldn''t really know anyone else at the wedding other than me, and all of *his friends*.

I just want to make sure he didn''t take it upon himself (which would be totally out of character for him) and decide she wasn''t going to come because they broke up.

Just really weird that no one knows anything, but things do seem out of whack...

I''m almost 100% positive they have broken up at this point. I told FI to call/email him so I know how to approach the situation in general. They''ve been friends for 10+ years...he should be able to do that.

We''ll see what happens!

I dont want to send her an invite just yet, i dont know what the circumstances are behind all of this. If it was just a break up and things are fine between them, then I''ll extend the invite to them. But until I know the facts and how they are reacting to one another will be the deciding factor I guess...I dont need any more ex drama, I already have that going on. Had to rearrange that table! lol!

Knowing them they have already discussed this and decided he would just go and she would attend all of the prewedding parties.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really get the issue of saying to her, "I got the response card back from Tom and it says you aren't coming. That's too bad." This will accomplish two things. One it will give heran opportunity to tell you what is going on or why she can't make it if she wants. I mean at some point you are going to find out. And two it will let her know that Tom responded for the both of them if she didn't already know.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 4:25:21 PM
Author: nkarma
I don''t really get the issue of saying to her, ''I got the response card back from Tom and it says you aren''t coming. That''s too bad.'' This will accomplish two things. One it will give heran opportunity to tell you what is going on or why she can''t make it if she wants. I mean at some point you are going to find out. And two it will let her know that Tom responded for the both of them if she didn''t already know.

I disagree. I wouldn''t bring to her attention the fact that he responded and declined for her. What if she didn''t already know? That might open up a whole new can of worms. The fact that he declined for her is irrelevant.

I just gave this some thought. If it were me, I would call her and ask her what was up with her and the guy...sincerely. After her answer, I would mention that I sent her invitation to him and ask her where I should mail another invitation to her. I wouldn''t mention how he RSVPed. It isn''t important in the grand scheme of things.

If I were the friend and I found out that he declined my RSVP, I would be peeved, embarrassed, and hurt.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I just found out some more information after work when I checked my voice mail.

She called my FSIL to tell her she will no longer be attending the bachelorette, didnt explain but said tell Nov I''m sorry and that she would like to do something with me prior to the wedding to celebrate but with everything going on she just doesn''t feel its appropriate.

I''m pretty sure there is something going on that I don''t want to touch with a 10ft pole.

I''m going to email her and tell her that whatever is going on, if she needs to talk she can give me a call, and that whenever she wants together I''m there...and if she changes her mind the invite is still there for the party.

FI is still planning on finding out what is going on, this has honestly come out of nowhere...he just wants to check on his friend...and make sure hes ok.

This probably explains why he rsvp''d the way he did, he just doesnt want to get into what is going on, which explains why no one really knows.

FSIL said she was very vague but did say that her and Tom were broken up...and things are just crazy.

I am staying far away from this one, no idea what happened, but from the scenario that I get, things are bad....I''ll lend an ear, shoulder whatever, but oh man...

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 3:15:13 PM
Author: RaiKai
I would just ask one of them.

If they are your friends and you care about them I don''t see that as odd of pressuring?

Why play guessing games or try and find out covertly? That just seems complicated and I like to keep things simple - just ask!

People break up. Whether they have been together weeks, months, years or decades. I have had some very serious relationships end after years and if someone actually asked me I would not consider it pressuring, or weird, or painful. I would just answer them! Tip toeing around it does not change whatever is going on, you know?

Ditto - this is the most reasonable (and the simplest) option I can see

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates? I''m wondering how you handled this, I hope it went well!

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
No updates yet. Whatever is going on is pretty messy, and I don''t want to get in the middle of it. When they choose to enlighten us as to what happened they can, but as of now, I''m staying far far away from it and will be there if either of them need to talk. I''m sure we''ll find out what is going on, but they havent told ANYONE so we''re thinking they just dont want to talk about it.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
One of FI''s best friends apparently just broke off his engagement last week. How did we find out? Through the girls Facebook status. FI''s friend still hasn''t mentioned anything about it to him.

People are just weird sometimes!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 2:42:16 PM
One of FI''s best friends apparently just broke off his engagement last week. How did we find out? Through the girls Facebook status. FI''s friend still hasn''t mentioned anything about it to him.

wow.. that is quite unusual! Some stuff is just really hard to talk about at first

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 9:29:28 PM
Author: Maevie
Date: 4/19/2010 2:42:16 PM

wow.. that is quite unusual! Some stuff is just really hard to talk about at first

I found out about my friend''s divorce this way. One day, her Facebook had a relationship status and pictures of him. The next day, no relationship status, and all pictures removed. I didn''t even realize anything was wrong until I saw status updates about going through a hard time. Moving to another state+moving in with roommates+no pictures+no relationship status, and then I started hearing from others. We''ve never talked about it either, and she never mentions him, or even her time married. It was like she moved away for a year, and then moved back. It was definitely bizarre.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results